Kindergarten

Classroom Assistant- need advice badly!

>

Lanieob

Classroom Assistant- need advice badly!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,
Need some advice and quickly- I have a classroom assistant who is absolutely wonderful! She is a workhorse and cannot do enough for me. She is just perfect to me. This is the second year she has been in my class.
This year I have a little girl in my class who is very smart and is a perfectionist. Lately- she has had stomach pain. Her mom took her to the doctor and he could find nothing wrong.
Today- I was discussing this situation with my assistant. I asked her- do you think this is psychosomatic- due to any stress, etc.? My assistant answered- well, you do so many projects- sometimes the kids are rushed and don't have a chance to enjoy them. I am feeling devastated- because I really love my classroom assistant but I took this as criticism. And I do lots of projects- I have taught kinder for 20 plus years. And this child's problems could have nothing to do with school. But tonight, I am taking things as a criticism of my teaching- that I am stressing kids out. But maybe I should be taking it as constructive criticism??? Things have changed in K for sure- so much academics and I can be a bit of a perfectionist myself. Any advice- perhaps I should be learning something from her feedback???

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really doubt you and your projects are the cause of her stomach pain. That seems very unlikely. Unless most of your students show signs of stress in your class, in which case I'd plan to radically change my teaching.

I would take your assistants comments as constructive criticism though, and maybe try to do a little less and give a little more time where I could. I might also think about how I'm speaking to the kids when I'm trying to hurry them along, and work on being more patient, relaxed, and encouraging. Honestly, I'm preaching to myself here!!

It is tough- I don't know about you but where I am the requirement for kinder are just way too much. I think my kinders deserve way more time to just play!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have had quite a few kids with phantom stomach issues over the years and usually there is something at school that is stressing them out. Could be social, could be academic, you never know. It often takes a while to figure it out but I'm sure you will!

As for her comment, I'd take it as constructive criticism and nothing more. It could be that for a perfectionist child not having enough time to finish is stressful. It could be that this is just how your assistant views it. You never know.

I will add that, not having ever been in your classroom (obviously ), I do find that many teachers try to cram too much in and don't let the kids really sink their teeth into projects. I've always been in the "less is more" camp, and really want to give my students the luxury of time when it comes to their work - whether it be academic or play or art or whatever. Kids are too rushed these days in many ways and I feel that it is a gift to just give them some time.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote