Poison Ivy on my face! - ProTeacher Community




Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help


      Teachers' Lounge


Poison Ivy on my face!

>

Reply
 
Thread Tools
sophiekait sophiekait is offline
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 681
Senior Member

sophiekait
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 681
Senior Member
Poison Ivy on my face!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 PM
  #1

I have never had poison ivy any where and of course the day of parent teacher conferences and class picture day tomorrow I have a huge patch of it on my face. It is never the corner of my mouth. I have no clue where I picked it up at. I havenít been out in the woods or the yard. They gave me a steroid cream, but it hurts. Itís hot and seems a little swollen. Any tips on how to get it calmed down for picture day tomorrow? Iíve put the steroid cream and itch cream on it, buts it isnít seeming to help.


sophiekait is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast's Avatar
kahluablast kahluablast is offline
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 17,373
Senior Member

kahluablast
 
kahluablast's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 17,373
Senior Member

Old 03-06-2018, 07:56 PM
  #2

Can you hold a fan in front of your face, rather coyly?

Give the cream a chance to work. The more you work it or play with it, the worse it will look. Weird that you would pick it up in the winter without being outside...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
Abbigal Abbigal is offline
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,202
Senior Member

Abbigal
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,202
Senior Member
I feel for you!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:48 AM
  #3

It takes a while for the medicine to work and for the poison ivy to run its course Ė about a week.

The oil from the poison ivy, and its cousin plants, can stay active for a couple of months. The oil could have been on shoes, clothing, garden tools, or pets' fur. You can also get it reaction if you're near the smoke from someone burning some poison ivy plants in with leaves and such.

The rash is not contagious. You were wise to get some cream for it especially since it was on your face. Don't ever let the rash get close to your eyes!

I used to get it all the time, And would usually have to get a shot to go along with the cream. As the years have gone by, my reaction has been less and less. I keep a cream ( no prescription needed) called "Ivarest" on hand now.

Hope the rash calms down soon!
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote
MAsped's Avatar
MAsped MAsped is offline
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,633
Senior Member

MAsped
 
MAsped's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,633
Senior Member

Old 03-07-2018, 05:12 AM
  #4

I hope the discomfort ends fast! I know nothing about poison ivy. How does one get it without touching the plants, etc.?
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote
jjwires jjwires is offline
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,873
Senior Member

jjwires
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,873
Senior Member

Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM
  #5

I swear by Tech nu products.


jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote
3leggedtable 3leggedtable is offline
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 301
Full Member

3leggedtable
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 301
Full Member

Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  #6

I was diagnosed with poison ivy once and later it turned out to be shingles. Like you I was not in the garden or working in the yard. Look up the symptoms of shingles and see if they match the rash/burning you have.

Hope you are better soon.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Join the conversation! Post as a guest or become a member today. New members welcome!

Reply

 

>
Teachers' Lounge
Thread Tools




Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Copyright © 2017 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net
5