Help

Teachers' Lounge

Renewing certificate

>

elepen

Renewing certificate
Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Hi all:

I just got the email to renew my teaching certificate.
I'm 69 retired and subbing.
Not interested in full time teaching maybe a part time support if something comes up that I'm interested in.
Even though I've said before that it doesn't matter your age if you're what they're looking for but I'm getting up there 70 in October.
What would you do??

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Your still young so I would renew your certificate.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM

I have not renewed mine. Donít need it to sub, and in my state retirees canít work more than 4 days any week for the schools without losing some pension $$$. I realized it was not worth the time, hassle, and cost of renewal.

Itís a little hard to give up the idea of being a teacher, though, isnít it? I still look at the want ads for teachers and say to myself, ĎSocial studies? No, not my field...wait! Hereís a middle school science position!Ē And then I have to remind myself of all the reasons it would really not be as fun as it seems.

I am especially sad about losing the teacher discounts...but then I remember that I donít buy a lot of craft junk anymore because Iím not teaching.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I would renew my certificate and then make my decision about continuing based upon how I feel physically and mentally during subbing.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-08-2018, 01:01 PM

I have to decide about mine, too. Iím not even sure I have enough pd hours. Iíd say if itís fairly easy, do it. If itís a hassle, donít.

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

teaching certificate
Old 03-08-2018, 01:34 PM

I had enough hours to renew but didn't feel physically up to finding all the documentation. Paying the fee for renewal would have come out of my pocket so I didn't renew. If I decided to get my certification now I would need to take the Praxis.

The public school district pays more money to certified teachers who sub. Would a part time support job require certification or pay more if you were certified?

What would it take to get certification renewed at a later date?
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 03-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Thank you for all your responses.
When I retired I renewed because of all the added endorsements and I had college credits.
Because of the certificate I didn't have to get a sub certificate and thought about online teaching or support part time.
That was 5 years ago.
I know 69 going on 70 isn't olddddd but it makes you think in 10 years I'll be 80 and that's old
A lot of my old friends haven't made it because of cancer.
I agree with Mhugs and annie_g if I have the credits and it's not a hassle I'd probably do it. I don't think I have enough credits and I have to renew by June 30
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Renew
Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM

In Illinois, it doesn't matter that you have a college degree, even a doctorate, in education. You need to have that teaching cert to sub. Now, if your degree is not in education, you CAN sub. Go figure. I renewed mine, but now I've got a retired teacher cert. I need to renew every few years, but it's free now.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not renewing mine...
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM

I am certified in a neighboring state besides the one I currently teach in. The state I currently teach in does not have renewable certificates .My original state had lifetime certificates when I was originally certified, but does not any longer. I could teach there in some capacity when I retire from my current state, but have no desire or interest in that. Would you need the certificate if you were hired as support staff? For me, it would depend on the cost, what documentation if any I needed to attach to renew, and the likelihood of my actually pursuing something beyond subbing at this point. For me, the answer would be no, but if you're on the fence about it, I would renew it one more time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Renewing
Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 PM

I think it all depends on where you are in the renewing process and what you plan to do.

My state requires 6 grad credits every 5 years to renew. I am retired, am about 3 credits away from renewing in a bout 3 years, but want to renew as the district wants me to take over as the district testing person as the present person no longer wants to do it. One must be a certificated teacher to do the testing.

So I am looking for those 3 credits.

It all depends on where you are and where you wnat to go...

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote