Help

Special Education

504 or IEP?

>

newbie17

504 or IEP?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to help a friend decide the best course of action for her son who is going to be entering kindergarten next year. He is diagnosed with reactive attachment disorder and is very manipulative, aggressive towards others, and just has general anger issues. Academically he has been doing great in preschool. He is at or above average in all of his kindergarten readiness testing. He would never qualify for an IEP based on his academic abilities, but he was would easily qualify for an IEP as emotionally disturbed. We really don't like making that the qualifying condition if we can help it. My district's kindergarten has an alternative classroom and I think he would benefit most from being in there and utilizing a 504. The thing is an IEP would offer him more protection, mostly in the area of not being able to be suspended for more than 10 days without going through manifestation determination. I mention this because this child is not one that I'm saying "if" he gets suspended, it's a "when" because he will hurt someone. He also sees being sent home as a reward so I worry he will try to do things that will get him kicked out. What does everyone think? 504 or IEP and what accommodations do you think would be best for a kid like this? I have zero experience in this area.

newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my area 504 are really for students that can function in general education setting with accommodations. I believe too often , parents can get hung up on labels and while I understand it is hard to hear that label, it is really just what we need to provide services. In my experience , we are looking at the child not the label and with the situation you are describing, he will need an IEP . He will also need to get FBA( functional behavioral analysis ) and BIP( behavior intervention plan). Does your district have any behavior interventions and social worker? They should be involved too.

Last edited by Purplecrayons; 03-18-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: more infö
Purplecrayons is online now   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Iep
Old 03-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

He definitely needs an IEP. He also needs a Behavior Intervention Plan if you already know he is going to have physical aggression.

I would call the local Special Education department now and have her ask for an evaluation. If you wait until Kinder the student will have to wait for an evaluation, then time for the IEP meeting before he ever receives services. Get the ball rolling now!

How has he not been kicked out of his Preschool if he is so aggressive?
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

504 or IEP
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
The thing is an IEP would offer him more protection, mostly in the area of not being able to be suspended for more than 10 days without going through manifestation determination.
Everyone else gave good advice. I just want to point out that kids on 504s should also have manifestations. A major life function is affected by a disability and they do have protections as well.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Parents should request an evaluation asap. Students can be evaluated and put on IEPs in preschool. Like a pp said, it would be much better to do that now than wait until he starts K. My guess is that the preschool team hasn't gone this route because the student's academics are so high and they may be hopeful that he will "grow out of" the behavior. We hear that a lot from our preschool team .

Parents do have a right to request an evaluation at any time. Make sure they put it in writing and I'd have them send it on Monday- around here, we only have about 2 months of school left and that's how long these evaluations take. I have heard this varies based on state, but in my state students with 504s don't get services- only accommodations, and an alternative classroom would be a huge "service." The student would definitely need an IEP over a 504. 504s are for students who can be in gen ed settings with accommodations only.

My district also has this horrible practice where they let everyone "try" their home school/gen ed class even when it's immediately obvious that the child needs another placement. Then the child ends up being moved mid-year (often, after months and months of experiencing failure in the gen ed setting) and it's traumatic for all involved.

If parents are on board with the alternative classroom, I'd advise that they start advocating for that now. In my district, things move WAY faster if parents are advocating for the change. At the very least, if the alternative classroom isn't at his home school, have parents open enroll him in the school that has that classroom so at least he doesn't have to move schools.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

wanted to add more
Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If the child is alreafy under treatment for RAD, have the doctor put in writing hus recommendation of the alternate classroom, if he/she agrees. The Dr. also needs to list the negative behaviors, especially the aggressive behaviors in detail ( ex: student pulls other's hair and scratches their face when upset by teacher's actions). The more detail the better! It may be what's needed to push the evaluation in the proper direction.

I will let you know that like someone else mentioned, in my area even if a student qualifies for services with ED they usually have to try their regular classroom with many behavior interventions before being placed in a different class.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Due to LRE (Least Restrictive Environment), my district won't even consider a more restrictive environment until they've tried the gen ed classroom. It caused horrible issues for a poor little kinder of mine (and the classroom teacher, other students and the myself as the SpEd teacher). It's really a shame we set these kids up to fail.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

newbie17

Great advice
Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's horrible to hear how many kids are being set up to fail! In my school (I teach upper elementary) the alternative classroom is at the point that they are working to transition kids into gen ed, some for the very first time in their lives. We are very lucky to have an incredible teacher that does a great job teaching kids the skills they'll need in the regular classroom.

The reason I thought of the 504 in the alternative classroom is that, at least in my district, that is considered a gen ed classroom. I always thought was odd...why wouldn't an alternative classroom be under the SPED umbrella? Anyway, he could function in there with just a 504 but after reading your comments and thinking more about it I'm in agreement that an IEP is the way to go. Thanks everyone!
newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jhxyixkhckhx

Jhxyixkhckhx

Rad
Old 03-25-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My daughter has the same diagnosis and she has an iep. Best decision ever. I also teach kindergarten and it’s so important to have a teacher who is structured and has clear expectations. She’s 14 now. The early years were rough. Hang in there.

catandturtle

Old 04-01-2018, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree he needs an IEP and evaluation now. Doctors note should easily qualify him as ED. In my district we have a spectrum of services for ED, from totally mainstream with accommodations, to mainstream with social skills pullout and specialized monitoring throughout the day, to the behavior classroom. The good thing is none of these are on an alternative curriculum, they are all on the regular gen ed curriculum. Strictly behavior support.

catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote