Help

ESL/LEP

New to ESL

>

GoodTimzRoll

New to ESL
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently completing the last classes needed for my ESL certification and have applied for several ESL elementary teacher positions.....if hired for next year what should I expect?:con fused:

GoodTimzRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In the district where I work we have almost 20 elementary schools and the makeup of the buildings varies widely. Our ESL programs are very building specific, so what you would be doing would depend on the building. Some ESL teachers here push in to classrooms to support the bilingual qualified students. Some pull out small groups and teach the classroom lesson to small groups with scaffolded support. Others run pull out programs.

My advice would be to try to learn about the ESL programs in your area by looking online, contacting the ESL teachers directly to ask questions, contact the person for the district who oversees those programs, etc. Since you are finishing your program, I don't think it would be unusual to ask if you could go in and observe ESL teachers in different schools.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Akilah111

Its a process
Old 04-01-2018, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It really is a process. I am currently teaching ENL to SWD grades k-8th, so I travel between 3 sites and it was a rough, learning process. Just ask as many questions during the interview as you can and do your research also. But good luck with everything.
Akilah111 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodTimzRoll

Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely get as much information as I can.
GoodTimzRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

good advice
Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good advice from the others. Ask questions, assume nothing. Get to know the demographics of the population in which you are applying for jobs. I've been doing this for 16 years, and it's always a learning experience (as is most of teaching!), but mostly because in our district the population changes from year to year depending on immigration issues and refugee status. Some kids will need bilingual and first language experiences, others are from places where they had no prior schooling. I would think in the interview if you can emphasize that you need to know the students first, that would be a positive for you.

Good luck.

allier is offline   Reply With Quote