Help

Career Decisions

Rock and a hard place

>

mrteacherguy

Rock and a hard place
Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My current district pays higher than pretty much any other district in the area, however, I am determined to get out of my current content area (science) and get back to teaching math. I'm waiting on the possibility of a position at a different school in my district that I interviewed for. At the moment though, they're the only school in need of a math teacher for next year (my district is closing down and/or relocating a couple of schools due to shrinking enrollment).

I've also received an offer from a district much closer to where we live (a five minute commute as opposed to a fifty minute commute), for an 8th grade math position. The downside, is that I would be making about $3,000 less, not including my school district's highly qualified bonus of another $3,000. I just need to let them know early this coming week whether I'm accepting the position.

In other words, I can take a for sure math position in a much closer district and lose out on about $6,000 next year, or - assuming I don't get the offer from the other school - sign my contract with my current district and pray that a math position opens up somewhere between now and August.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

decision about districts
Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think time is money and you'd be saving a lot of time per day by not being in the car. Also, there's the wear and tear on your car to consider.

You want math and it's a sure thing!

Let us know what you decide.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 03-24-2018, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The 5 minute vs 50 minute commute is huge and would make-up for the salary difference. Have you checked health insurance premiums? That could be a huge increase. Just good to know before you make a decision.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do the math on your gas savings. It will probably account for several thousand dollars.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

mrteacherguy

Thank you for your input
Old 03-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

While there are certainly many benefits to the closer school district, I'm going to have to turn them down.

A difference of $5,400 is just too much to throw away, and right now my family needs that extra money.

At this point there's nothing left to do but pray that I get the math position I interviewed for, or that something else will open up in the district.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

megann831

Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work in a very high paying district and I know of many teachers who have gone to other districts and negotiated what step they were placed on in order to get a comparable salary.
megann831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

Time is
Old 03-27-2018, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

money. But that's coming from someone who only commutes 10 minutes each way. You'll probably be able to negotiate a decent deal with your experience.

Is that $6000 a one shot deal? Because it may not look too great after taxes, travel expenses and car wear and tear.
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkincake

Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check out the difference on your gas savings.
pumpkincake is offline   Reply With Quote