Student Treasures Publishing? - ProTeacher Community

kham7

Student Treasures Publishing?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have any of you ever worked with Student Treasures to publish student writing? I am planning to work on this project with our whole school but am curious if anyone has worked with this company before. It sounds terrific and a great project for our students.

kham7 is offline   Reply With Quote

nilvero

It's great!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love using the Student Treasures program. Students think its the best thing ever that their work is going to be published. The company is great too. Last year they made a mistake on our class book's cover and they let me send back the books to have them rebound. The books look like actual published books too!
nilvero is offline   Reply With Quote

blessedx3

We use them!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our whole school does them - so do individual books and some do class books, and they are great!!
blessedx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
nell

nell

techer
Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used them twice and while the product is good, and turns out nicely, both times I have had problems with the orders which took a long time to resolve. I am looking for another company to use this year.
Mum23

Mum23

Intellectual Property Infringment???
Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a question about this company. While our district uses them and, yes the finished product is 'nice', aren't they violating Intellectual Property laws (INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Non-tangible property created in a person's mind and includes ideas, inventions, concepts, literary, artistic and creative works, names and symbols used to represent products and confidential information)?

I ask this because there are some classrooms that make a 'Class Book'. Each child contributes one page of their creative work. These classes only get ONE free book which is kept at school. Should the parents want a copy, they must pay $14 (per copy). Since Student Treasures is a FOR PROFIT company (they make all of their profits from these sales - per the companies representative) and the fact that parents DO NOT sign releases on behalf of their children, I find it hard to believe that some law is not being broken.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for any and all information!

Charl

Student Treasures
Old 06-05-2008, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My two language arts classes published books this year and they were wonderful. Each student had their own two pages-one page had their writing and the other page beside it had a drawing to go with it. The students loved it so much! They often read the class copy during free time. My suggestion would be to get some parent volunteers to help you proofread everything several times and to get the order together, especially if the entire school is doing it! Parents are notified about the project with a letter that comes in the packet. It explains everything in detail and if I remember correctly, it has checkoff boxes for ordering or not ordering. I would think that if a parent does not want their child to participate, this would be their opportunity to speak up. This was one of the best activities that I did with my class this year. It involves the entire writing process.
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote
Mum23

Mum23

Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree, the kids do love to do this! And any parent can do this with their child.

In regards to:

"Parents are notified about the project with a letter that comes in the packet. It explains everything in detail and if I remember correctly, it has checkoff boxes for ordering or not ordering."

Our school DOES NOT send home ANY information from the company EXCEPT the envelope with the 'Ordering/Not Ordering' check boxes (THIS IS NOT A RELEASE). This is attached to a one-paragraph statement, on the school's letter head, explaining to return it right away.

Per Student Treasures, this envelope IS NOT a release, it only helps them to know how many FREE books are to be made. This envelope does not even have to be returned to your school. No matter what, the child will always get a free copy.

Regarding your statement:

'I would think that if a parent does not want their child to participate, this would be their opportunity to speak up.'

It is not a matter of NOT wanting the child to participate, it is a matter of a company PROFITING off of your child's artwork/writing. This is illegal. If Student Treasures were a non-profit, then it is ok (like the magnet companies). However, since ST IS NOT, they only make their money off of the children's works.

I find that VERY disturbing. And hey, maybe it is just me?? But, how would you feel if someone took a drawing of your child's. Say for instance, another parent at the school. That parent then placed the artwork on Ebay.

That said parent is now PROFITING from your child's artwork. Which, is against the law. A copyright IS NOT a MUST HAVE. It only makes it easier to sue in a court of law.

All this company needs to do, have parents signs releases on behalf of their children.

End of story
MakesSense2Me

MakesSense2Me

Copyrights/Intellectual Property
Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was just doing a search on StudentTreasures Publishing to find out more. The paperwork just came in last week an I was skeptical too.

But I have the same question. I'm a little ticked off because I didn't receive any information about what, specifically, is being included in the class book. I don't know if my son's name is going to be included, where he lives, his personal tastes, likes/dislikes, etc.

More than that, I had the same question about his artwork. Who retains the copyrights? I'm sure as heck no releasing any of my son's rights to this company just because it's a wonderful learning experience.

The class can do this project all by themselves and they don't have to ship off the student's artwork to some publishing company and give away rights that may have value.

I hate to be a killjoy, but these days I just don't trust anybody.

Charl

Saw It Later
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just found this post in response to something that I had written a long time ago. I wish I would have seen this then. Anyway, I will still say that I have enjoyed using Student Treasures to publish writing that my class does to showcase their writing. I guess I could debate and analyze whether this is intellectual property or not. You never know when what you say here will be used in a way that was not what you intended. To each his own!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote