Help

First Grade

Reading Workshop a la Lucy Calkins

>

upperwests

Reading Workshop a la Lucy Calkins
Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is transitioning from Daily 5 to Reading Workshop. I went to visit a First Grade classroom in another district and I was very impressed with what I saw. I LOVED the structure of the workshop! I particularly liked how EVERYBODY was practicing their independent reading at the same time. My question is this.......This particular school district does not do ANY centers at all in First Grade. They meet with maybe one guided reading group a day and confer with students.......BUT no one is in a "center".

So my question is for teachers who are doing Reading Workshop as promoted by Teachers College.....not another "version". Do you do any centers in first grade? I actually LOVE the idea of NOT doing centers! I had done the Daily 5 for several years and am looking forward to a change as I do not think my mini lessons before each round were effective.

upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Reading workshop
Old 04-14-2018, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never do centers. We use the workshop model. Everyone does independent reading at same time. I either do individual conferences or guiding reading groups at this time. Para reads with selected students too. I increase the time as year goes on. My guided reading groups focus on comprehension.
Some years I donít have a para, but I still do it this way.

I try to do independent reading twice a day. Kids have 8-10 books in their boxes and a bag with 1-2 guided reading books. They start reading the gr books and then read from their box. A few kids do bookshoping during indep reading so everyone shops once a week.

We have done it this way for years now after getting the Lucy week long training on reading writing workshop.

Writing workshop also done Lucy style but I use our own units based on our state standards.

Second grade does same except they do conferences rather than gr groups.

Word work is done at different time than indep reading each day - Fundations activities using our own word lists.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for starting this thread. The reading teacher at my school said that the reading department is slowly transitioning groups of schools to that program. Our principal declined to be apart of the next wave, but it is on the horizon so I would like to learn more.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the structure. Currently, I have 3 rounds of reading related centers (partner reading/book shopping, listening to reading, word study), then a read aloud/minilesson, then independent reading time (when everyone is reading at the same time). This way, I am able to meet with 4 guided reading groups each day. I have a large class so I have 6 reading groups - the 2 lowest groups meet everyday and the other 4 meet every other day. For me the guided reading time is so important. I can't imagine only meeting with one group a day - it seems like a move away from small group instruction to more whole group.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Reading workshop
Old 04-14-2018, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Right now I have 5 groups and read with at least 2 groups a day plus individual conferences during independent reading time. I really try to keep focus on comprehension strategy being used in their reading during guided reading. Most groups have two new gr books each week.

Word work is done at another time with differentiated activities.

My lowest kids are read with every day, usually 1-1 with para or me.
I pull the top kids twice a week.

My two special ed kids also have a supplemental reading period 3 x a week with me in another location. School provides classroom coverage for me during this time.

So each week we do daily differentiated word work ( phonics, spelling, high freq words)
Guided reading in small groups during independent reading.
Individual conferences during indep reading
At this time of year I have two indep reading sessions daily (approximately 20 min each, one session follows minilesson)

upperwests

Old 04-15-2018, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, this was very helpful!!!!

upperwests

Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand your concern. From what other teachers have said that have been doing this for several years, it's MORE individualized instruction.....not WHOLE GROUP! YES, the mini lesson is whole group, and probably not more than 10 minutes in first, especially at the beginning of the year....but the rest of the time, is probably like meeting with two groups (a GR group of 6 approx., and confer with maybe 4 others). I've been "dabbling" with doing it this way the last week and what I REALLY love about it, is that the kids are practicing their strategies on a much more independently. I'm already seeing much more growth!

When I was meeting with 4 groups a day, I was not able to keep my head above water!!!! And unfortunately, the kids in the centers were distracting to the kids in my GR group......EVEN if they were being as quiet as possible!

I think they philosophy is that Guided Reading IS very important, but kids need to practice reading books on their GR level MORE!!!!!!! and not just when the have GR. Even though my kiddos always had a book baggie of indep. books to read during Read to Self, they were NOT reading "just-right" books MOST of the time. AND, I was not doing mini lessons, before they went off to their independent reading.

pausebutton

Old 04-15-2018, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Even though my kiddos always had a book baggie of indep. books to read during Read to Self, they were NOT reading "just-right" books MOST of the time. AND, I was not doing mini lessons, before they went off to their independent reading.
I agree with you. Just to clarify... I don't do 'read to self' during centers. I don't really do Daily 5. I do a read aloud combined with a minilesson focus, and then the class does independent reading with just right books to try out whatever the minilesson focus was. Afterwards, we have a quick share.

In addition to this independent reading time, we also have three rounds of centers. It may be that the literacy time that we are allotted is longer. I really like this format since it allows me to meet with four groups a day. A couple of my groups have six students unfortunately, but others are around 4 students in a group which allows me to give more attention each student. The format of our group time is really simple so it's not overwhelming to prep. I see a lot of growth this way. A majority of my class is above benchmark now even though most started on or below.

Also, when I say 'centers', it's super simple activities. There's barely any prep. 1) We have 10 ipads that students use to log in to RAZ kids and read books on their level. 2) Students pick books from the leveled library and partner read on the rug. 3) Students do practice activities with their word study words.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Thanks for the great thread!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Daily 5 has worked well but having time for more individual conferences sounds even better.

For those of you who do individual phonics/word work: Do you have a good method for organizing this?

Thank you!
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Reading workshop
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I start each morning with word work. Usually Monday focus is on review of previous weekís sound and intro to new sound. I use Fundations activities each day including keyword drill (oral), word building, dictation. Written work is differentiated. Some small group additional practice as needed. Most of my kids donít need small group. Highest kids differentiated too.

I intro new sight words on Tuesday and we all work on reading these all week.

About Fundations, we use their activities. But I intro word sounds at different times. My kids are reading leveled books so they need to learn long vowel and vowel team words earlier than intro.in Fundations.

Word work is about 30 minutes

2keeplrning

to marcimcg
Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know this thread is old, but it's really what I was looking for. Hoping Marcimcg might help me out. We've been told that we need to begin meeting with students the first week of school this year. Can you describe how that might look? I did a workshop model last year but not until second semester. I can't imagine how to meet with kids the first week, what with all the routines and expectations that have to be taught. Any advice would be appreciated.

2keeplrning is offline   Reply With Quote