So I guess expecting a teacher to email you back about a student is too much? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

So I guess expecting a teacher to email you back about a student is too much?

>

Fractured

So I guess expecting a teacher to email you back about a student is too much?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed for a teacher on Friday. I sent a fairly detailed email about an episode that had occurred with one of her students. I was specific in saying I didn't want to get the kid in trouble, but that I had had two convos with him and he didn't get what I was trying to convey about him being disrespectful. I asked the teacher to have a talk with him and to follow up with me. Everything about the email was professional.I emailed because I figured it would be easier than leaving a long note, as I am almost positive teachers just dump my notes without reading them. Of course, I didn't get anything back. Sometimes I feel that the way I get treated by teachers is worse than taking crap from the kids. At least they aren't adults yet. I only bothered because I sub at this school a fair amount and I didn't want to repeat the episode the next time I teach this kid. Anyone else feel ignored on this issue?

Last edited by Fractured; 04-16-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

I've never bothered emailing
Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How frustrating.

I don't bother contacting a teacher unless I encounter a situation that could be a serious liability for a student or myself. Even then I'm vague.

Simple bad behavior I document briefly in the written note. I will include a copy of a referral form if necessary.

But don't feel bad, it's not worth your time to worry if it's their kids. You did all you could.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Rules
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you E-mailed me, I wouldnít answer either. Not because I wanted to be dismissive of your concerns, but because I canít discuss students with you even if you do sub regularly at my school. Whatís more, Iíd have to let admin know that youíd E-mailed me because if they caught wind of the E-mail and I didnít report it, Iíd be in trouble.

In my case at least, admin would then talk to you about not sending those kind of E-mails. May be itís different in your area, but here there is no way a teacher would be following up on a student with a sub.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

I don't ever bother emailing the teacher
Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't ever bother emailing the teacher, and just leave a pretty detailed note. I sub at a certain school most of the time, and if I have anything else I want to discuss with the teacher I will drop by their classroom next time I'm in the building. If the teacher seems unconcerned I simply don't sub for them again, there are lots of other classes to choose from. I sub consistently mostly for the teachers who provide some type of consequence or accountability when their students misbehave when I'm in their classroom.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

They're busy too
Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had something similar happen awhile back but I always come in expecting that whatever happens, I deal with issues my own way and if necessary with a referral to the office. I would email the teacher whatever occurred and what I did to deal with things so that they won't feel like it's extra work for them. If you left it with them to deal with then it might not be reasonable to respond back ASAP. What I might do, if you need closure, is call the teacher up and let them know what you had done to resolve things. Really, you don't want to waste anyone's time either. The matter is how pressing is this?

Fractured

Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not sure about this district, that seems like a harsh rule. I have texted with subs and had some email me back before. If that was the case, the least they could do is send me an email about the policy or have the office do it. I have a feeling this falls in the I don't give a #### category.

Tapdancesub

This is how I ...
Old 04-16-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

deal with discipline issues I feel I need to mention in my end of day note. I give a brief explanation of the situation and end with "if you need to contact me for any reason here is my number." In 10 years I have had one person follow up with me, and I've had some situations where I was sure I would hear back. You just move on, Ive said it before, we are really just placeholders for the day.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would never ask a teacher to have a conversation with a student nor would I ask them to follow up with me. I am accountable to the regular teacher but the regular teacher is not accountable to me. If it was a classroom that I expected to be in again I might take the time to find that teacher and have a conversation with her about it the next time I was at that building. I wouldn't approach it from a "You need to have a talk with this student" standpoint though. It would be more like "What would you recommend I do when this student is disrespectful to me?"
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

FERPA says
Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

that emails concerning students are part of the record on that student and are required to be handed over to the parents on request.

The FERPA law also limits who can receive information about individual students.
https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/...s/parents.html

Look particularly at the last sentence of the first paragraph and the who else gets to see limitations.

By discussing the student in writing, the teacher can be sued, fired, and/or lose credentials. What can be said verbally is also limited, which is why some teachers speak in guarded verbiage.

It's not disrespect, it's legalities and sometimes fear.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I get ferpa. Like I said, she could have at least emailed me back and said why she couldn't talk about it. As for asking for the follow up, I guess that was reaching a little, but I don't think I'm out of line for asking the teacher to have a convo with this kid.

Lumberman

Lumberman

could be avoided
Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I wonder if all this could've been avoided if the teacher had given you some heads up. I think that it would've been to everyone's benefit if your subfolder contained information about any behavior alert(s).

MaineSub

Pretty much ditto...
Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am very selective about including information about a specific student in my sub report for many of the reasons others are giving...

FERPA aside, from a practical perspective, the teacher is on point and that is as it should be. I do not tell (or even suggest) what a teacher "should" do with a student or class--in a large part because that's not my place and I do not have (and shouldn't) enough information to make that judgment. My role as a sub includes providing factual information that's actually important based on the few hours we are with the class.

I do not expect replies to my reports/emails... a short "thank you" is nice, but the lack of it is not devastating.

For example, a second grader once initiated a long conversation with me about how I was the only teacher who liked her. I debated with myself, but ultimately decided it was in the student's best interest to report the conversation in a "she said" - "I said" form.

I did not get a formal reply, but in a subsequent hallway conversation with the regular teacher, I got thanks and explanation that my young friend was having the same conversation with every adult at school and it was being addressed. That's my favorite reply: "We are aware and it's being addressed." I do not expect or want to know more than that.

This is, for me, a hard part of being a sub--we just get moments in time. Because our school is relatively small, I do get to know a lot of the kids and it can be hard not knowing how they are being helped when they have an issue. Sometimes the kids will actually provide an update, but often I'm left "trusting the system."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just didn't feel like the kid understood why what he was doing was wrong. I already said I was interested in having the kid talked to, I made it clear I wasn't out for punishment. If I didn't go to that school a lot, I would have just left it. Next time I'll talk to her in person I guess, but it doesn't seem like there is any point to it. If there's a next time with this kid, I'll just send him to the office. I'd rather have an intervention approach though, but there really isn't anything set up for that.

Tori58

Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm not sure it's a FERPA violation for a substitute teacher and a regular teacher to communicate about student behavior via e-mail. It might be a problem to communicate official disciplinary action (something that will become part of the student's records) with a substitute or with anyone really, if that e-mail would go astray. But I don't think that this would be a violation. I mean, teachers can leave specific information in their sub. lesson plans about likely behavior problems or SpeEd identification so substitute teachers are allowed to have more information than "the public." Sometimes it's a good idea to use initials rather than a name, especially in a subject line.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You may be right. There is no difference between writing an email and leaving specific names of students in sub notes; except that the parents wouldn't probably ever know about or ask to see those paper notes unless it set off a disciplinary action that was severe. Like I said, it takes 30 secs to reply back. I just imagine they don't really care about making it an issue this late in the year.

seenthelight

Old 04-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Donít assume it wasnít dealt with because there wasnít a response to your E-mail. I would have dealt with issue, as I take my students behavior with a sub just as seriously if not more seriously than their behavior with me. I just wouldnít have shared it with you.

As for FERPA, E-mails definitely fall under FERPA.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-18-2018, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Lately there has been a lack of teachers following up with anything that happens at this school, so that's why I am assuming. That's why I wrote the damn email in the first place, so I'd know she saw it instead of just glancing over or tossing out my written notes.

Renea

Old 04-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
I would never ask a teacher to have a conversation with a student nor would I ask them to follow up with me. I am accountable to the regular teacher but the regular teacher is not accountable to me.
Tori58 has a relistic perspective of the situation. I know your intentions are well intended. There is always another way to view the classroom teacher's reasons for her nonresponse.

I wouldn't worry about the situation.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-19-2018, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
There is no difference between writing an email and leaving specific names of students in sub notes
It may not seem so, but there is a difference. An email sits on a server (probably forever) even if deleted by the recipient, has an "official" quality and may actually be available to others in the district. A note left for the teacher may "disappear" after it's read.

I agree with Tori58, it may not be a violation of FERPA for a Sub and a teacher to communicate via email about specific students, but I would also defer to the district's (and teacher's) policy/practice. Some districts are careful to the point of paranoia on this topic. Others lean towards being practical. I have found a difference between teachers. I once subbed in a room where the sub plan included a warning that one student was subject to epileptic seizures but wasn't told who it was. I subbed a couple of doors down and the sub plan started with a list of students' names and their various health issues.

Subs are probably better off staying on the conservative side of this issue. I often tell the kids, "Just because you can do something, that doesn't mean you should."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote