Help

Classroom Management

Zero Engagement

>

Persephone

Zero Engagement
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I created what I consider to be a very engaging lesson.

An Escape Room...where student teams solve puzzles and find answers to research questions to unlock their prize: a free choice reward day in library.

What do I do about the students who peed on my parade?

While everyone else was engaged, two/ three students in some of my classes just sat there refusing to do the activity or fooling around.

I only asked 9 questions and 9 puzzles...and it was teams of 4.

I'm giving them another session to finish it.
They MUST finish it to earn the reward.

But, I fear that the students who fooled around and ruined my class today, will hurry up next week, finish, and get the reward.
That's not fair.

What do you do when you plan a great lesson and THOSE Spoiler students bring you and the class down?

Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could grade the project according to a rubric which includes points for participating according to the instructions given. Grade accordingly and then give the reward to those who made a certain score.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

love_luna

thoughts
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

An idea that just came to my head could be you setting a timer and counting how long they refused to do anything with their groups. IF they finish the activity, they can participate AFTER they owe the time they refused to work during the time provided, maybe sitting out or going to another room for that time.

The escape room activity idea is SO cool though!!
love_luna is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If they didn't finish it and everyone else did then the natural consequence would be no reward for them. If everyone still needs to work then carry on as usual and don't pay attention to the ones who are fooling around. Act like you don't see it. When time is up then reward the students who finished. If they complain ask them if they finished and why not. Again, logical consequence. Good Luck.

BTW, that sounds like an awesome project!!!!!!
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Persephone

Love Luna and Hiker1
Old 05-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think they just want attention (even if it's negative).

My fourth graders came in and worked on the Escape Room.
They were SO enthusiastic...You'd think we all won the lottery.
Lots of cheering and excitement.

So, they more than made up for "The Spoilers."

Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 05-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Were they 5th graders? If so, it's the age. Believe me I deal with them every day. I don't take it personally. If they tell me they're bored I tell them I'm here to educate them, not entertain them. After a couple of times another kid will say it.

Do you have a conduct system like marks or whatever? We would give them a mark for off task.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Two things
Old 06-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My first piece of advice is to have an alternative assignment. If they aren't helping/goofing around/not participating/etc., I always review my expectations with them. I give them ideas of what they can do to help or specifically give them 1 job. Sometimes those kids truly just don't know how to participate in a group, so giving them an idea of what to do or telling them what to do can help. I also tell them that that is their warning, if it happens again, they will have an alternative assignment. If it happens again, they go out in the hall (right outside the door, so I can still see them, but so they can't be distracted by kids working on the breakout), and they have to complete an alternative assignment. The alternative assignment deals with the same skill as the breakout, only it's not as engaging and double or triple the length. It's due the next day. If not, then they lose recess until it's done. It works like a charm! I've only had to do this once this year.

Secondly, I did have a class this year that no matter what I did, it wasn't "fun" and they were bored. I'm blunt and tell it like it is. I normally tell them that "Boring People are the ones who are bored" and I also talked to them about mindset and the power of how you see situations determines how you feel about them, what you do, and the results you get. So, for example, if they see something as boring, they are going to feel bored, annoyed, lethargic, etc. As a result, they will be off-task, not help, not participate, etc. The final result is being bored! If they view the situation as engaging or fun, they will feel happy, enthusiastic, energetic, etc. Because of that, they will be happy, try harder, stay focused, etc. As a result, they will enjoy the situation and have fun. It's the power of thought!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote