FUNdations... Is it working or moving too slow? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

FUNdations... Is it working or moving too slow?

>

Kim1988

Kim1988

FUNdations... Is it working or moving too slow?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

My school adopted FUNdations k-3 for our phonics insteuction last fall. Now, 1st grade teachers are complaining that is is moving "too slow." I personally love the program because it builds mastery of phonics concepts through application in spelling, not to mention the handwriting component.

We are deciding, yes after less than a year, if we are going to stop using the program tier 1 and only use it as intervention. Our school has tons of struggling readers and writers. It just doesn't feel right to me to give up so soon.

What are other teachers thoughts on the program? I'm trying to gather some outside evidence to have a more educated discussion with my staff members.

What are you doing to make the program meet your needs?

Thank you!!

kahluablast

Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did Fundations for many years in first. I understand the feeling like it moves slow, but I think the students abilities to hold on to information and use it was much increased. It carried over better into their writing and I saw less poor spelling with my 3rds when it was used.

I also think it would be better if teachers could work together and group kids by abilities. I know our kinder teachers started teaching level 1 fundations soon after mid year. It would be nice to keep kids who need level 1 in level one, while moving kids who are ready to go faster along.

If it moves too slow, pack some of it in a little quicker. Give up some portions in order to move on. That is what I did. If most kids had the concept, we moved quicker through it. 1 week instead of 2. 2 instead of 3.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirrelly1

Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use it in K and First grades. It's my first year teaching the first grade program and fourth year teaching K. I've had really good results with the Kindergarten program and pretty good results in First grade. I know we are told to teach it with fidelity, but I have had to add more phonological awareness activities (especially in K). The K program went at a faster pace than the K teachers teach the introduction of letters and sounds. However, now that we are further along, I feel it could move a little faster and have condensed some of the lessons. Also, in first grade I have three different small groups. The lowest group I've had to slow down. I went to a PD on dyslexia recently and they said that they felt the program moved too fast!
Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school did Fundations tier 1 for the past several years and I think it's an excellent program. As a sped teacher I loved that it gave us all common language, both across grade levels and within different intervention groups. I used the language and materials from Fundations in my groups (and added in more multisensory stuff and way more repetitions) and my student data was excellent.

Our current third graders got the program K-2 and there is an astounding difference between their reading and writing abilities over what we normally see. Even my identified sped kids are reading 75-80 wpm with a high level of accuracy. The two lowest "outliers" within the grade level are kids that just started at our school this year.

So, what does my school do? Get rid of the program, of course. We also heard that it moved "too slowly," and also heard the complaint about lack of PA instruction. Like a pp said, yes, it moves more slowly than a core curriculum program, but the kids really master and understand the concepts. I am at a very low SES school where the majority of our kids enter Kinder years behind developmentally. The vast majority of our kids need an intervention program, not just a core curriculum program.

They now exclusively use Wonders in gen ed. The language and routines aren't clear like they were in Fundations and my instruction is no longer closely tied to what kids are doing in gen ed. One of my close friends teaches K and their data has been excellent for years. They are now getting thrown under the bus because it's not as good this year.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. I just really miss Fundations! I also really like Kahlua's idea to group kids and have some groups move faster than others. That would be a great way to match instruction to kid's needs without putting extra work on individual teachers.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Fundations
Old 04-21-2018, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use Fundations in conjunction with Spalding. I think they're a dream team together.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2cook

Old 04-22-2018, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've used it in first for several years and it is the main component 1-3 in our building. We felt the original version moved too slowly (second is better, I think) so we changed the pacing, took out the magnetic letter boards unless it was for Tier 2 or 3, had kids write every day, and beefed up the sentences. This is year 2 for us using second edition and I think it it overall much improved.

It has helped first graders be able to write with automaticity and spell much more accurately in first grade and beyond.

No perfect program exists, but if you're willing to tweak it and do the components that you know are best for kids I think it works.
luv2cook is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 04-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Haley23 - I could’ve written your post!

My school also used Fundations solely for K-3 until this year. Now we use Wonders for Phonics & are just supposed to “marry” in the rules from Fundations My P wonders why there’s no growth and as a teacher it’s beyond frustrating.

I like Fundations. My only complaint is that since I teach 3rd grade Level 3 - I have students that really level in at Level 2 or even 1 and we just push them in regardless.

Also, the K-2 teachers didn’t like that the Phonics that the decodable / Guided Rdg books had each week didn’t follow Fundations. For example, they’d be expected to read long vowel a for the weekly readers and tests but Fundations was too slow and didn’t match. I didn’t see that discrepancy in 3rd grade as much.

Overall, Fundations is a great program if taught to fidelity.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

I like Fundations
Old 04-29-2018, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My problem, as mentioned by others, is we are using a reading program that does not align. So I teach Fundations large group daily and do other reading skills (PA and comprehension) as small group and hope it all "marries" well together. So far so good.

I find I get bored with teaching Fundations, but the kids don't seem to be as bored as I am. I do have a hard time in K doing the tiles and some writing whole group. Would love some ideas to share with that.

I do not seem to have mastered how to have 24 kinders using tiles at the same time. Do I have them all sit on the floor or at tables? My room set up is not idea for having them all sit at tables and still be able to see me. I would love to hear ideas.

Does Fundations have a FB page we could ask for ideas and questions? I would love to join.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote
AMK88

AMK88

Pace
Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Let me preface this by saying that I am a HUGE Fundations fan and that I've only used the 1st edition. At my school, we modified the pacing to fit the needs of our (high) readers. By 4th quarter of Kindergarten, our school went into the 1st grade curriculum and taught the first few units. Then, 1st grade started where they left off. We also moved the VCE unit up a bit. I think they wait too long to introduce it and kids need it for their reading. We started drilling Vowel Teams at the end of first grade, instead of waiting until 2nd. The program DOES move slowly, but I kinda love that about it. It also really builds on its- by 2nd grade kids are writing words like enjoyment, entertainment, expected, disruptive and even absentminded! Of course, as with any curriculum, you must make it work for the kids in front of you! If everyone loves the program but think it moves to quickly, changing the pacing- not the curriculum!