Help

Future Teachers

From nursing to educator

>

nurse2school

From nursing to educator
Old 04-26-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all, I am currently a nurse who would like to change her career to teaching, specifically health sciences at a high school level. Nursing is interesting but not where my passion is and I have always wanted to teach, I come from a long line of educators and being the in the classroom is where I am happiest, I actually really love school.
Anyway, I am in my mid 20s and would like to go back to school to become a teacher. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice especially when it comes to the health sciences. I have been researching how prevalent these jobs are and obviously they're not as popular as math, english, and biology. Does anyone have any experience with student teaching/ getting a job as a health teacher? Also, does anyone know how competitive this particular place of study is? Will a nursing background actually help set me apart? Thanks.

nurse2school is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Check with larger schools first
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that is an important field (and has important info to share) but most small schools could not support a full-time Health teacher. You might want to add related credentials or specialties.

In my district, basic health is covered by the FACS teacher in MS and HS. In a pinch, we have a school nurse willing to step in to teach certain subjects as well.

We also have "visiting' Health and Nutrition teachers who come in once a week to two upper elementary grade levels from a nearby college. You might check into that...they have different credentials at the college level...

They are in different schools several days a week and have office hours or meetings some days. That might be the way to go...Just a thought.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

nurse2school

Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This was very helpful considering there is not a lot of info on the internet about this. Thank you so much I will definitely keep this in my train of thought. Considering my husband wants to move to a smaller mountain town in a few years what you said definitely applies. My other thought was to do elementary and they could potentially use me here and there for health related classes for the older ones.
nurse2school is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My state has health science classes at the high school level and you would be hired in a second. The teachers of those classes have to be certified nurses so it is hard to find qualified people. They also have to become certified as teachers, but I believe most do so through lateral entry after getting hired. My district does not allow lateral entry for core subjects, and only allows it for the hard-to-fill positions that require a career background, like health sciences or auto tech. The classes that you'd teach in my state would allow your students to eventually take the CNA certification test their senior year.

Sending you a PM.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Nurse educator?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My DIL is a nurse educator. She's getting her masters degree too, so she can teach at the college level. She still gets to be a nurse on occasion, but she loves her role in educating nurses and CNAs on procedures, technology, and machines among other things. It's a perfect blend for her. And the money is great too. Much better than teaching.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote