Help

Fifth Grade

Moving to 5th from 1st

>

escanteach

Moving to 5th from 1st
Old 05-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After 8 years in 1st grade I'm moving to 5th (also moving from a horrible school to a wonderful school with very nice families & parents) next year. I'm excited, confident, and joining a strong, pleasant team... Just reaching out see if anyone would like to offer suggestions, words of wisdom, advice as I prepare to learn a new curriculum and work with a completely different type of student and parent. Thanks in advance!

escanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Getting Ready
Old 05-05-2018, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would want a copy of the standards to be taught, a set of textbooks to take hoe over the summer, contact with a fifth grade teacher, and a look at the classroom to see what is available there (SmartBoard, student computers, iPads, materials, etc. I am thinking the science and social studies curriculum may require you to refresh your knowledge of the content.

I don't mean this to discourage you. I taught 4th grade for 35 years and now volunteer half day every day in a K class. There is a tremendous difference in the two groups.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

escanteach

Old 05-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nothing discouraging about your reply! I've obtained all of the above. I also student taught 5th and long-termed subbed in 5th prior to getting hired full-time. I'm also visiting the school and meeting with my teammates next week so I've got a list of questions... I appreciate your time and suggestions!

escanteach

Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PS: I gladly welcome the additional work and personalities that come with transitioning to middle school because my days of being kicked, punched, and having furniture thrown at me are OVER!

cruxian

Old 05-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No advice! Anyone who can corral a group of first graders (particularly at the beginning of the year) will have a great time in fifth grade. I love their independence, the more complex curriculum, and that they understand my sense of humor.
I did have a colleague make a similar move and the only thing I noticed with her is that she sometimes didn't have the rigor for the work that those of us who had more experience in fifth grade did. That may just be her, lol.
Best of luck!!

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fifth Graders
Old 05-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about allowing them to sit on top of their desks or under their desks while you read aloud? This would be the only time you allow them to do so. That might be fun.

What about going outside to read? Is there a good place? On a pretty day it is always nice to be outdoors.

What about reading them a descriptive book and not show them the pictures. Allow them to visualize and draw a picture of what they hear happening in the story or what the character looks like.Or maybe they could color the mood and just do an abstract with crayons when mood is an important element to the story. Maybe they have to draw with their non dominant hand. Or maybe they can each tape a piece of paper to the underside of their desk and draw like Michaelangelo did on the Sistine Chapel.

What about giving them a key word that you know will be repeated in the story. When they hear that word they can stand up and spin around or take three steps and change where they are sitting or any kind of movement. Or maybe if they are spread out they could lie down and then sit back up.

What about skipping the ending and allowing them to write their own ending? Share and then read the conclusion the author wrote.

I would reread picture books by Patricia Palocco. Many of her books are good for older students and teach a good lesson.

Also look at Jane Yolen's books. I love Encounter. It is perfect for Columbus Day in October. Jane Yolen also wrote some nonfiction books which start with An Unsolved Mystery from History....... They are excellent for teaching the mystery genre and history. Also include silly books like Double Trouble in Walla Walla by Andrew Clements. After the reading allow them to write a different story but use many of the same nonsense words for fun. Maybe they could work in pairs for this one.

If I taught fifth grade I would be sure to read Mr Peabody's Apples by Madonna. It teaches an excellent lesson.

They are not too old for Dr Seuss. Look at some of his more advanced stories like Speeches and The Lorax. They are perfect for preteens.

I almost forgot Chris VanAllsburg. Start with The Wretched Stone and go on from there. This story is about how watching too much TV is bad for you but told in an underlying way. The Polar Express Author author is a great one to study and discuss his books that became movies and the differences.

All of the above authors would make good author studies as well.

Last edited by 1956BD; 05-07-2018 at 03:24 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Some of these may work in the classroom
Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/...ng-read-aloud/
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

escanteach

Grateful
Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much! I've saved your suggestions in my files for the beginning of next school year. HAve a wonderful day!