High School

Seeking input/info regarding preliminary credential

>

idkwhatdosama

idkwhatdosama

Seeking input/info regarding preliminary credential
Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I was hoping to get some help/advice regarding my situation.

So my concern is regarding the whole preliminary teaching credential / BTSA fiasco. I live in California specifically in the Los Angeles area.

I'm going to be entering my single subject English credential program next semester and it might take me 2.5 years to complete since I plan to go part-time and substitute teach for the experience. My worry is that I am 31 years old without any work experience at all. Do you think substitute teaching will be good experience that can land me a full-time teaching position once I finish my credential program?

Also, regarding the preliminary credential, I did some research and it said you have 5 years to find a job and complete BTSA or if you can't they will extend it up to 3 additional years. However, what happens if I cannot find a job no matter how hard I try. I know it's an unrealistic fear, but I'm just worried since the economy could tank like before when so many teachers got laid off, and also based on the fact that I've heard the English credential is not as sought after as a science or math credential. I'm willing to move anywhere in California, even those small rural areas that might not even pop up on a map. Do you think an English credential will be sought after enough for me not to worry about this? I fear that if I can't find a job within that time frame then all that time will be wasted since my credential will no longer be valid and become useless.

If the credential expires does that mean I need to re-take the CSET and the credential courses again? (I got the waiver for subject matter competency if that makes any difference).

Sorry in advance for the many lengthy questions.

Gogogo

Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

substitute teaching is highly desirable anfpd can often lead to connections to get a job. Math and science are always highly emotive,oyable because people knowledgeable in those areas can get jobs that pay far more than teaching.

California has been graduating far, far fewer students with teaching credentials over the past 5 years pair that with many teachers headed for retirement ó you should have no problem finding a job in most areas of California.

My concern for you is that you say you currently have no work experience. Working with high school students (or any age students, really) is challenging. You might want to invest some time in volunteering with teens or at least substituting BEFORE you get into a credential program. I would hate for you to waste $ finding out that you donít like it.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

NHSecondary

Career change
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm 46 years old and 2/3rds through my credential program in NH. I worked 20 years in the banking industry. I went part time taking one class at a time. I also work as a paraprofessional in a high school. That pretty much gave me all the student contact hours required by the program. The program itself should also have observation hours built in to some of the classes. I had to take a few days off from work to fulfill them, but at least as a paraprofessional I had personal and sick time I could use. I didn't think I could work with SPED kids, handle it, but it was easier than I thought. They train you if they need you somewhere that you aren't experienced in. Right now I am a glorified babysitter/disciplinarian but at least I have good paid time off. I actually enjoy it as the sped kids are so enjoyable. It is hard getting half the income I used to get, but we make it work. I start my student teaching in the fall of this year. I am just waiting to see what I got on my Praxis II test. ANXIOUS! It took me 9 times to pass the Praxis Core test as I have severe test anxiety and math is very difficult for me. I also haven't been to college since 1990 so trying to take an all encompassing test like the Praxis is very hard for me. This is the second time I have taken the Praxis II test for specific subject matter as I am going for secondary education. I am definitely not a school type of person as I averaged c's and d's in high school and my bachelor's degree was difficult. But I stuck it out and had lots of tutoring. Thank goodness for crash course on YouTube and Chegg tutoring services. I, too, am nervous about finding a job once I graduate as there are no jobs out there for social studies teachers as well. But I figure we are already making it on lower income. What's a few more years plus a hefty financial aid payment. I think you should just jump in with both feet and buckle up for a wild ride.😊

Cindy
NHSecondary is offline   Reply With Quote
originalp0st

originalp0st

Apologies for posting this in wrong section
Old 05-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, I am sincerely sorry for posting this in the wrong section. I noticed it too late, but I posted it as a guest so I have no option to move the discussion to the correct place.

Thank you for the great input and advice so far, I will be moving this question to the future teachers section. Thank you.