Help

Career Decisions

40 to old?

>

weeblessings4

40 to old?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This fall I am looking at going back to school to finish my teaching degree and be licensed to teach Birth to 3rd grade. I worry though that since I'm 40 will be 42-43 yrs old when I'm done and beginning my teaching career...is that to old to just be starting out? Will it be tougher for me to find a job compared to teachers who are in their 20's? I've worked with kids in various jobs and etc for over 25 yrs. I'm currently doing Reading Corps for the last 2 yrs. Absolutely love working with kids with reading, and I really look forward to having my own classroom and students. Wish I hadn't allowed myself to be talked out of going to college to be a teacher 20 yrs ago.

weeblessings4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Not too old
Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

42 is not too old. Many teachers I know are starting their second career in their 40s. If it is really what you want to do, go for it. The profession needs good and dedicated teachers. That said, teaching has changed so much in the past decade. Please research the opportunities in your area. Ask local teachers about working conditions, different school personalities, and district policies. There are many places that I would not want to teach. (Actually, I retired last year...I don't want to teach anywhere.)
Good luck in your future!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

texasesl

Old 05-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started teaching at 53!! I am still teaching but I am on the verge of burn out as it is the most time consuming job ever. All I do is lesson plan and more. The demand of the job is super high for so-so wages. Good luck.
texasesl is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I started teaching at 41 and Iím 48 now. I got talked out of it earlier too but I think Iím a better teacher now than I would have been at that stage in my life.

It is horribly stressful but Iím still glad I did it. Our year just ended and Iím already thinking about next year. The middle of the year sucks but I love the cycle of endings and a new batch of kids. I work in a very high poverty school so there is a lot of trauma.

While itís hard, I know I make some differences and my skills are well used. Each year I wonder if I can keep surviving in this environment but I really canít imagine working with a different population either.

I also feel more respect in my current building than I did anywhere in my old career. I finally went for it because I did not want to spend another 20 years wondering what if.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask any questions.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I worry though that since I'm 40 will be 42-43 yrs old when I'm done and beginning my teaching career...is that to old to just be starting out?
One of my favorite coworkers was in her 50s when she was just starting out, and she is a fantastic teacher.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Capuccino

40 too old?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of my coworkers is 67 and plans to retire in May 2019. My best friend and coworker started teaching when she was 42. Make sure that you have energy, motivation and you can deal with different types of misbehavior. Each year we get new challenges. Teachers also need excellent organizational skills.

You don't want to sit down in a rocking chair at 80 and say, "Long time ago I thought that 40 was old. I didn't know that I still had more than half of my life ahead of me."
Capuccino is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

long ago
Old 05-31-2018, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

an advice columnist answered a similar letter from someone interested in becoming a doctor, but was concerned about his age. I'll paraphrase her answer to taylor for you.

You're going to be 40 anyway, you might as well be a teacher when you get there.

Enjoy the journey.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 06-01-2018, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I started teaching middle school at 35; I'm 48 now and have no plans of stopping any time soon. In fact, I just started working on my masters degree in special education.

I watched my momma say she was too old to do anything since she was in her 40's. She is 72 now and has a past lifetime of regrets. I decided early on I would never let that happen to me.

Go for what you want in life. It is much too short to do otherwise!
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I started teaching at 40
Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

and am now 53. So, no-I don't think you are too old.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Not too old
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I started teaching right out of college, and then took a few years off to raise a family. I went back to teaching preschool children. I was in my 40s and did just fine. Of all my teaching experiences I will admit that preschool is the most emotionally, and physically demanding, but it still is the age I loved to teach best.

chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

pizza

Never too old...
Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi Weeblessings4 - As a teacher who went back to school in my late 30ís I strongly say go for it! You are not too old. I started teaching at 42 and just finished my 13th year. The job is extremely rewarding as well as extremely time consuming. Fair warning to you - be prepared for all the paperwork. I wish it was just teaching! Regardless you are not too old! If this is what you want, go for it! I did and I am so glad! Good luck to you😊
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote

Love-Teach

Not too old.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have an acquaintance who started teaching 3 years ago at the age of 50. She's happy!
Love-Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I started teaching in 96 right out of school...then took a break after a few years and did other things for a long time. I just got back into teaching last year. I'm 46 this year and just finished my first "official" year as a contracted teacher.

You definitely are not too old to begin/start out. Although in the area where I teach, I am one of the older one's . We have a lot of teachers in the early 20's at my school. If it's something you think you will love, go for it!!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

vickia

Not too old!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I went back to school when I was 50, and graduated at 52. I turned 64 in March and will be teaching again this fall! You are a youngster!!!!! Go for it, you will be glad you did!!!!!! Good luck, and keep age out of your mind. I know it bothers me sometimes too, so I know it's not easy to do. But, I love what I do, and wouldn't go back and change anything!

Enjoy!!!!!!
vickia is offline   Reply With Quote

FashionGirl

No, but it won't be easy
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My response will probably be unpopular, but it's based off of my own experience. Many schools only want to hire very young and very new teachers.
If you are fortunate to be hired then you have to deal with working with young teachers and most of them have no interest in teaching or planning with older people. In today's school, most principals and administrators are VERY young and only want to hire other young people.

I started teaching later in life and I am approaching the average retirement age. Despite my best efforts I cannot find a job or keep one, and I am pretty sure it is because of my age.
I won't bore you with all of the depressing details, but, I have all of the qualifications schools typically look for, act polite and professional, know a great deal about all of the new technology, work hard and do my best to get along with everyone.

I also have certs that are considered "in demand" and have been told that it is very hard to find someone with my degrees and experience. I know that if I was 20 years younger I would not have so much trouble. I am currently jobless and don't think I will ever find another teaching job again.

I am not trying to be negative or discourage you, but just be aware that age is a factor in many schools.
FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

40 too old?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I started teaching first grade at 52. Now 75 and planning retirement next year. Itís been great!
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

I went...
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I went back to school and started teaching at 40, Im now 51 and going strong. I do feel "old" some days, like when my 28 year old principal tells me so.. but he's an idiot. I teach 1st grade, I sit on the floor with my kids everyday, dance and play...and its all good! Go for it!
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Never Too Old
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

There was a man who lived in Austin, Texas years ago. He owned a furniture store and starred in his own commercials. That is how I knew him. When he retired he went to law school at UT and graduated with a law degree ins 80's! I thought that was wonderful and never forgot the great lesson he taught everyone. You are never too old!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Popgel

Popgel

Not Old
Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Go for it if you want. I started at 35. I am 52, now and I am searching for other opportunities. I left the full time gig this year. I had an awful year. I will sub for a while and move into something else. I want to retire from education completely when I am 58. I am glad I have the teaching bug out of my system. I hope you're not in CA. It's rough out here to find good job in a decent area. Research the schools where ever you apply at. Ask yourself if you really think you could work at a particular school for a long time. Shop around and find a good one. They're out there though, and the US needs teachers, but some parts of the country are impacted. When I was getting my teaching credential, there were many people over 44 years of age. I know a few fellow ex school mates still teaching. Good luck.