Help

Gifted Education

GATE summer school ideas needed please

>

luvtulearn

GATE summer school ideas needed please
Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok so Ive been asked to run a sort of kick off summer GATE camp to get our students excited about our new GATE program in the fall. After speaking with my director she wants it centered around art, dance, drama, and PE. I plan to incorporate all these things into the central theme of lines, forms, and shapes.

I have a pretty solid direction for art (nature, geometry, string art, etc. . .) and PE but need some help in the drama and dance. I was contemplating for drama

1) charades (teams and single)
2) drama from picture books
3)role playing from characters in picture books
4) role playing with puppets
5) readers theater
6) soundtracking (super out of my element)

For dance
I love the book "Giraffes Can't Dance" and would love to teach the steps (lines) but I'm not sure it's a bit too juvenile for grades 2-4.

Please share any thoughts or ideas you have. I am very open. I'm rather lost in these areas.

Oh and we do not test for creativity (Torrance) in our district . . . so these students qualified under different areas and will explore new territories.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your camp sounds like fun! Art and drama are not my forte--I prefer teaching logic and critical thinking, so I love making use of guest speakers and field trips.

Our GATE camp has an island theme, so in addition to learning about the history and culture of the Caribbean, we had a local dance instructor come to our camp and teach the kids some salsa dance moves and other traditional dances from Trinidad and the Dominican Republic. We contacted a local art museum who sent an artist to teach a lesson on art techniques for painting tropical flowers. We also have a local Shakespearean troupe who are happy to come and teach a class on how to properly stage dueling/sword fighting safely during a dramatic scene during our Shakespeare unit. And, of course, the kids love going to see plays at our local children's theater.

Perhaps you could contact some of the museums and theaters in your community and find out if there are any similar resources available to you.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Thanks. . .
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the Caribbean theme! I also just found out I will have about 30 students mostly incoming 4th and 6th! Yikes. I've never taught higher than 4Th. Thanks for the ideas. I will be incorporating legos and STEM activities too because apparently the areas that they were tested in were in the spatial and global areas. We don't even test the Torrance creativity test! But I do think this will be good for them, don't you.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote