Help

National Board Certification

Component 4

>

Deannawest28

Component 4
Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 5th grade Ela and history. I am in the planning stages for completing all components this school year. I have been advised to start with 4. This is what I have in mind-please tell me if I am way off. I am working towards em literacy. Professional need: student engagement, motivatior, positive behavior reinforcement...I attended The Ron Clark Academy this year.. evidence-pics of kids actively engaged? Classroom transformation pics? Surveys from kids??

Student needs:
Our latest test scores for this upcoming group and grade levels below revealed a huge weakness in literacy. So, Iím thinking school wide literacy night with parent workshops embedded, starting an afterschool literacy club, trying to get funding to bring ar back to lower elementary...evidence-parent surveys, global scholar scores from fall to winter, pictures.

On the unit with assessments, I am still unsure of what to do. I havenít looked specifically at weaknesses in particular reading areas. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Deannawest28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Professional need: student engagement, motivatior, positive behavior reinforcement...I attended The Ron Clark Academy this year.. evidence-pics of kids actively engaged? Classroom transformation pics? Surveys from kids??

You're smart to start thinking of evidence now...both evidence of how/why you identified the need and how to prove your efforts resulted in improved student performance. I will mention, "soft" areas like motivation and classroom management, etc. are hard ones to provide compelling evidence. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is more difficult.

You'll derive the unit/assessments from your KoS, which you won't be able to do until school starts next fall.

Keep thinking and keep posting!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Deannawest28

Comp 4
Old 06-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks..on the motivation behavior..do you mean the evidence of need or the evidence of impact will be difficult? Would pictures, test scores, behavior logs be sufficient examples?

Do the other areas look okay?? Thanks!!

Zia

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
do you mean the evidence of need or the evidence of impact will be difficult? Would pictures, test scores, behavior logs be sufficient examples?

What I meant was, it's hard to provide compelling evidence that the engagement strategies are the cause of improved student performance. Proving need is easy...it's proving it worked that's hard!

Deannawest28

Comp 4
Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I understand..another thought I considered for this was a mentor program for new or transferring teachers. I am our schoolís CIP person, and on our staff survey, we scored low on that, because we do not have a protocol in place..evidence: student, parent, teacher surveys, test scores..the evidence is what is so challenging...

Zia

Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thinking about evidence of efficacy is the key to choosing the two needs, for sure! I don't know what a CIP person is?

Deannawest28

Comp 4
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I write our schools Continuous
Improvement Plan. I take multiple sources of information and analyze them to determine our schoolís needs and develop goals and a plan for implementation.

Zia

Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I write our schools Continuous Improvement Plan. I take multiple sources of information and analyze them to determine our schoolís needs and develop goals and a plan for implementation.
It sounds like this affects all the teachers at your school, which sounds like a PLN to me. Maybe get evidence from a handful of teachers showing your implementation plan improved student performance.

joetendo

Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Yes, I understand..another thought I considered for this was a mentor program for new or transferring teachers. I am our schoolís CIP person, and on our staff survey, we scored low on that, because we do not have a protocol in place..evidence: student, parent, teacher surveys, test scores..the evidence is what is so challenging...
Hey, I took a somewhat similar approach for the professional learning need

For our every-five year accreditation, we scored poorly on PLC (professional learning communities/department meetings) so I helped organize an effort to completely revamp the way we did these meetings and tools to have more of a data-focus approach by pulling from the departments that had the best meetings. This was an offshoot of my School Improvement Team, which seems like the equivalent of your SIP. I had quite a few initiatives I was involved in, but seeing as how the district and administration tied our strong PLC meeting turn-around to our higher End of Course scores (high school level) I went with it, while slightly downplaying the direct link to our test scores.

Of course I only submitted this May and don't have my results, but at least we are thinking similar things. Good luck and GREAT for getting on this so early!
joetendo is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 06-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hello! You will work on C4 literally all year. Thinking about this early is smart!

C4 in a Nutshell"

KOS: As soon as school starts, begin collecting Knowledge of Students (KOS) info/data. You might look at school records, test scores, talk to last year's teachers, send out a parent survey (concentrating on literacy topics), give students an interest survey, check out last year's attendance, transient issues, foster kids, single parent families etc. What you learn from this data is what you'll use to determine what unit of study you'll use for the Assessment portion and must also be connected to the Professional Learning Need (PLN) AND the Student Need (SN). EVERYTHING MUST STEM FROM THIS INFORMATION. The tighter the connections, the better your score will be.

Assessment Section: Choose an unit of study. As you teach it give a Formative Assessment and Student Self Assessments DURING the unit. At the END, give a Summative Assessment.

PLN: A need YOU and/or YOU and YOUR COLLEAGUES have based on your KOS. You show how you met this need using collaboration and/or leadership. Describe the impact of your actions on student learning.

SN: A need your students or a larger community of students (grade level, school-wide, content area etc.) has. Show collaboration and/or advocacy to address the issue. Show impact on student learning as a result of your efforts.

The unit of study/assessments and/or the PLN and/or the SN CAN be connected with each other OR can be totally separate. Your choice.

Good Luck and keep asking questions.

NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Growing2

Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I know it's not my post, but I appreciate your thoroughness in laying Component 4 out the way you did. Awesome! Love the nutshell. Thank you, NB Coach, for spelling it out so concisely.
Growing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Deannawest28

Comp 4
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for this info! I have started looking into the kos that you recommended, and Iím already blown away from what Iíve learned from just attendance and behavior! I will be referring back to this post often! Thanks!!

NBCoach

Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Sometimes candidates wonder how the KOS plays into the decision as to what to teach for the unit used in the Assessment part. We all know that teachers have a scope and sequence, texts, state standards etc. that dictate to a large degree WHAT we teach and sometimes even WHEN. But for NB work, saying one teaches X because it's the next unit in the textbook or even because it's on the State Achievement Test isn't enough. You have to show deeper understanding of your students' needs.

For example, let's take attendance info. if a school has a large turnover in population, attendance rates for many students might be low. This might point to gaps in knowledge which would show up in test scores. Those test scores can indicate topics/concepts that are weak and need to be addressed. Chances are those topics are in one's state standards, curriculum etc. So as a result of that KOS, a teacher would choose a unit of study that addresses some particular need. In your case, maybe reading scores play into the difficulty your students have reading non-fiction texts. See how those work together?

You don't need a million KOS contacts - 3 or 4 strong ones is enough because you will need to write about each that you use - and even rank them to some degree as to their usefulness/impact.

Hope this helps.

Deannawest28

Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

For KOS, I was thinking:

behavior & attendance records, former teachers, parent survey, student interest inventory, & previous test scores.

Are you saying that I should only choose 3?

NBCoach

Old 06-23-2018, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

No, there is no specific number. The ones you mention should all be informative so go ahead and use them. What I'm saying is, that when you write that you used a source, then somewhere in your writing you need to reference it, even if you need to say it wasn't as useful as you had hoped. So there isn't enough space to reference a large number. Your list is reasonable.

Deannawest28

Comp 4
Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Great!! Thanks so much!!