Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Math Intervention Teacher

>

LRRichardson

Math Intervention Teacher
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am applying for teaching jobs after staying home with my kids for the last five years. I was just called to interview for a Math Intervention Teacher position at a nearby school district. Does anyone have experience with a Math Intervention teacher in your building? I have never heard of this type of teacher that wouldn't be part of the special education department. I have taught middle school math in the past. I was hoping someone would have some input before I interview tomorrow! Thanks!

LRRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a reading and math interventionist at an elementary school. We are NOT part of the SPED department. We serve tiers 2 and 3 students, working on certain skills. Our skills include number sense and operations. That may the same or similar for a middle school.

To someone outside of education, they may think that I'm a SPED teacher. I pull small groups of kids (1-6 at a time) during the day and work on remediation. Any specific questions you have?
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

LRRichardson

Thank you for sharing
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have heard of this teaching position at the elementary level, but never at the middle school. I was curious if at the middle school level, it was similar to your position in which students are pulled out to work on math skills. My interview was today, but I wasn't even able to ask the question because the HR person from the county's ISD basically just asked rapid fire questions about my teaching style and preferences. We'll see if I get called back from the school to find out more about the position.

In your position, do you work with your students daily? Also, how many groups do you work with daily? I was curious about the number of lesson plans that would be made throughout the day. Thanks again for sharing!

TheGr8Catsby

Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my position I pull six groups a day - one for each grade K-5. I teach EITHER reading OR math for each grade level (typically reading). I pull the same kids every day. We have meetings to discuss data at every universal screener and midpoints between the universal screeners. We can enter or exit kids at those meetings.

At the middle school level, depending on needs, schools in my district that have dedicated interventionists typically run on the same bell schedule. They usually teach the same number of blocks as the classroom teachers, just with fewer groups of kids. Not all of our middle schools have dedicated interventionists.

LRRichardson

thanks again
Old 06-25-2018, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks again! This is the first I have heard of this position at the middle school level. My interview is Wednesday, so we will see what they say!

TheGr8Catsby

Old 06-25-2018, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck! Be up to date on the RTI process, and see if you can learn about the RTI process at this school/in-district.

dee

An encore class
Old 06-25-2018, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my MS, this is a class assigned to students with low state test scores. Students are assigned to the class much like Computer class.

Our teacher also teaches two regular math classes.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote