Help

Retired Teachers

Fiber Supplement Suggestion

>

Beach Glass

Fiber Supplement Suggestion
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The doctor who performed my colonoscopy suggested a fiber supplement as he detected some diverticulosis and wants to prevent diverticulitis.

I really don't want to go the Metamucil route - mixing something into a glass of water and drinking it. I'm hoping for some kind of chewable, capsule, pill, or the like.

I stood in front of the shelves the other day and was totally confused. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Probiotics
Old 06-29-2018, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Google the value of probiotics for gut health...try to eat fresh, healthy vegetables and fruits...foods without preservatives or nitrates...no more than 3-5 ingredients...good luck!
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband had diverticulitis a few times and then was immediately scheduled for a colonectomy: the removal of 15 inches of the colon and "fashioning" a new one out of the lower intestines. It was a VERY difficult procedure as surgeon couldn't get the stapler to function at the necessary angle. So, they had to switch from laparoscopic and just cut him open.

So, my recommendation is to do the fiber with water thing. You want to flush out those pockets that may have infected or fecal matter trapped inside. Supposedly, things like seeds or nuts aren't a problem, but my husband suffered so much pain that he even followed what is considered an old wives tale and avoided those types of things. I think that was excessive, but I also wasn't the one with pain.

He is doing very well 15 years post op. We take chewables or capsules when we go on vacations. It seems like those are more to keep you regular.

Please, do what you can to prevent diverticulitis! Two bouts of that and you are destined for the surgeon's table. They worry about ruptures.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-30-2018, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’m having some trouble and hope fiber supplements will help. I just ordered Citrucel from Amazon. I wish us both good luck.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

I was diagnosed with diverticulosis ...
Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

... and was in the hospital for four days. My GI doctor said that it was not necessary to avoid the seeds as that was more of an older way of treating. I had used Metamucil for years to avoid constipation.

My diet now is full of fresh fruits and vegetables plus half my weight daily in water intake. That is enough to keep everything moving properly, and I am doing well three years later. I had heard horror stories so didn’t want that to happen to me.

Stay well.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

? for connieg
Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
We take chewables or capsules when we go on vacations. It seems like those are more to keep you regular.
Connieg, what chewables do you take? Vacations are a tricky time to manage.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Fiber
Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have had just one bout of diverticulitis and want to avoid another. I have two friends that have helped me with fiber supplement ideas. Friend #1 who had surgery just like Connieg's hubby, uses the Citrucel capsules with lots of water. Friend #2 recommended the orange Metamucel individual packets which you pour into a bottle of one of those Bai antioxidant drinks. (only 5 calories, no artificial sweeteners, 1 gram of sugar and a healthy choice.) Shake it up and drink!! This only works with the Coconut or Mandarin Orange flavors. I'm telling you it is delicious!! I've tried drinking the Bai without the Metamucel and it's not nearly as good. Friend #2 calls it her afternoon cocktail. The Bai drinks can be pricey, but they go on sale in the grocery stores and you can also get them at Amazon. I'm trying to up my veggies and fruit. Watermelon works great and is so refreshing this time of the year!!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a huge water drinker already - at least 3 liters/day.

Being on Weight Watchers, I've just about lived fruits and vegetables (as they are zero points now), and with summer in full swing, the fresh produce even increases.

Since I already drink lots of water, I was just hoping to avoid dinking even more liquid.

I've not had any adverse symptoms of diverticulosis, and want to keep it that way.

The surgeon told me to schedule my next colonoscopy in 10 years, so he was obviously not alarmed, and most likely recommended a fiber supplement as a preventative measure.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

Old 06-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No advice, but I have read that there is a huge percentage of the population in the United States eventually,as we age, will end up with some degree of this condition due to our diet.

I'm glad some good advice is being posted .
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Donnateaches

Benefiber
Old 06-30-2018, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have used a variety. I like Benefiber(Costco Kirkland brand is cheaper)because you can mix with water, or sprinkle on yogurt ,etc. Hope you find something that you like!

Donnateaches is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Fiber
Old 06-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use konsyl but you will not like it as it needs to be mixed with water. I also use a small amount of OJ. It does not have any artificial stuff or sweeteners so I like that it is natural. You could buy psyllium at health food store and it is the same thing. I used to suffer with IBS and konsyl was like a miracle for me.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 07-01-2018, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Renea, you asked what kind of chewables we take. Truely, we just look for any fiber supplement. Some are pretty expensive for such a common filler, so I look for cheap. Keeping oneself regular on a vacation is a challenge for young and old.

With my husband, I remind him that he needs to look at his new organ as a remodel, not new piping.

kidsrterrific

I may have spoken too soon
Old 07-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My diagnosis for diverticulosis was in November 2015. I致e been having slight issues the past few days and today have abdominal pressure and I知 worried I might end up back in the hospital. My diet has been over half my body weight every day, freshfruits and vegetables, fresh fish, etc. don稚 know what happened. Would appreciate any prayers. Waiting till tomorrow. Sorry about jumping the post.

LuBelle

Oh no!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hoping and praying that your issues will pass and you'll be back to normal. I know that pressure always alarms me after my attack. But usually it just goes away and I'm fine! Hope that happens to you!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Kidsterrific,

Praying for you as I write. The interesting thing about diverticulosis/itis is that a "healthy fruit/vegetable and heavy fiber diet can be just what you don't need IF you are experiencing an active infection or irritation.

There is a delicate balance if this is the issue. All that great fiber acts to irritate rather than help when your system is irritated or infected.

I think a call to your doctor is in order. Until then, go easy on those healthy items. Maybe just herbal tea and toast and crackers to calm the inflammation?

amiga13

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had diverticulitis once. Not fun.

Quote:
My diet has been over half my body weight every day
What does this mean?
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I use Benefiber, but which one to use is a matter of preference. I like that it's tasteless and can be put in almost anything. The stick packages are great for when away from home.

Try a few different brands and types. You'll soon figure out which you like and don't like.

Funny ---When I first started using it I left it on the counter. DH thought it was a new type of sugar and started using it in his morning tea.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 07-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think there are a number of chewable options. Maybe ask the pharmacist at the local grocery for a recommendation.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Whoops...
Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I meant to say that I drink half my body weight in water every day.

kidsrterrific

Thanks all...
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I知 still waiting to hear back from the actual doctor after calling early this morning. We値l see what happens. Only time will tell. Meanwhile I知 taking it easy. Just was getting worried. Hopefully it will just pass over.

marguerite2

Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I meant to say that I drink half my body weight in water every day.
So if you weigh 100 lbs, you drink 50 lbs of water a day. What does that convert to in ounces?

I am misunderstanding something because the online converter says that's 766 ounces of water and that seems like way too much to me.
http://convert-to.com/conversion/wat...er-weight.html

GlacierRose

Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Poor kidsrterrific is stressed. I think she meant what I’ve read many times is a recommendation—drinking half your body weight in ounces of water every day. So if you weighed 100 pounds, you’d want to drink 50 ounces of water a day.

marguerite2

Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you Glacier Rose
I knew I had something wrong, but couldn't figure out what. Remedial reading class would be on my summer list.

GlacierRose

Old 07-02-2018, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

No, not at all. We all have those moments.

kidsrterrific

Marguerite2
Old 07-03-2018, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I知 sorry. I致e not quite myself. The G.I. doctor never called back yesterday even after I checked in.

When they use that phrase about drinking water it means that if I am 160 pounds I drink 80 ounces of water every day. I normally drink more than that.

I think I might stop posting until I知 feeling better. 😀

connieg

Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Hope you get better really soon. Sometimes, we KNOW what we are thinking and maybe don't express ourselves precisely because of that! As a writer, I have that problem all the time! You know ALL about the Salem witchcraft trials and the history of WWII! Right?

cvt

fiber
Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am not a fan of Metamucil or any kind of pill or other fiber supplement. Ironically, psyllium, the fiber in Metamucil, can cause bowel obstructions, which is the opposite of what you want. Other fiber supplements might be counterindicated when combined with certain medications for depression, diabetes, high cholesterol, thyroid disorders or heart ailments..

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy over 15 years ago and the technician said I needed to take more fiber because she saw a few pockets of diverticulosis, which explained my bloating and constipation. She advised Metamucil, which I hated and stopped taking after the first time. I had no idea what fiber was, or what diverticulosis was, but knew that one of my aunts had a severe case of diverticulitis (when the the diverticula become inflamed/infected) and was often bedridden. She had several surgeries.

I'm a big nerd and did extensive research, and discovered that FOOD was the answer for me. I started eating a lot more soluble fiber (found concentrated in beans, oats, nuts, and berries) and insoluble fiber (concentrated in whole grains--not refined grains). In my research I also found that first world countries consume far less fiber than is necessary for good health. Too little fiber in the diet can also lead to other problems such as heart disease, strokes, obesity, diabetes.

I suggest that you add oatmeal/porridge with berries/other fruits to your breakfast, some raw cauliflower or broccoli florets for a snack, a cup of beans in whatever form for lunch (I like bean soup with veggies or maybe a baked potato topped with bean chili), air-popped popcorn for afternoon snack, and for dinner something with a curry with lentils, chickpeas or potatoes with a large side of green leafy greens salad. There are so many recipes online that can help you get more fiber in your diet.

In case you're still reading this , I can tell you that my personal experience with a high fiber diet has worked very well to heal my diverticulosis. My colonoscopy showed that my pockets had shrunk. They will never disappear (unless the section of colon is removed surgically) but as long as I keep eating fiber, they won't be a problem.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote