Help

Second Grade

Reading logs?

>

ely2boys

Reading logs?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you keep track of home reading in 2nd grade? Reading logs? What kind do you use? Suggestions?

ely2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Reading logs
Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We were required to send them home. Personally, I find them a tad useless because you know who is reading at home and who isn't. A log doesn't help this.

It was sometimes interesting to see what other books they were reading besides their leveled book from class.

That said, ours had three columns: date, name of book, parent's initials. They went home on Monday and were supposed to be returned on Friday.

Last edited by Keltikmom; 07-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Added on
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to send home reading logs. They were like Keltkmom’s. I stopped requiring them when I saw my ex DIL quickly sign the kids’s logs on the day they were due. Made me realize it was just another paper to sign and the signature meant nothing!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I now teach first grade and this is what we use for homework. When I taught second grade, I didn't require a log since I assigned other homework besides just nightly reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pg 2 Reading Log.pdf (172.3 KB, 48 views)
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Reading log
Old 07-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sent home a sheet once a month (From teachers pay teachers).
I modified the page a little bit to suit my needs and to adjust the length of months due to being out Christmas break etc.
Each month has 15 -18 places to fill in for reading. They are themed for the month for example October might be pumpkins that they color.
I know that students have other things besides school in the evenings but I feel like they can at least read half the time during the month. Each color place is either a book or 20 minutes of reading. I know that students have other things besides school in the evenings but I feel like they can at least read half the time during the month. Each color place is either a book or 20 minutes of reading

Yes I know that there are parents that will sign it but that is not in my control

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

READING DIARY IS GOOD: Grades K-2
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hmmmmm.... well once Grade Two arrives I find most parents think their child can read for life and no longer needs any help nor supervision with home reading and these parents will generally tell you that if you so desire .

A reading log as a little BOOK/DIARY that goes to and from home weekly is KEY to it being a boomerang!!!! (ie. parents sending it back to you.)

Parents seem to see the value and it looks good inside with stickers to apply and certificates. In class, when goals are filled out, I make a BIG DEAL out of it and voila! All the kids want to get theirs up to date too.

This is hands down the best and cutest one I've had:

http://www.teachersuperstore.com.au/...iary-years-k-4

Apparently you can also get a log set up online! I found an app called 'Reading Log Cabin'.

THE APP LOOKS REALLY CUTE but apparently I can't use it since I'm not in the US.

Other than that I would say reading logs are a waste of time.

Go with an school online reading program that you can set individuals' levels, log into at home and see what and how often your students are reading.

Hope that helps.

Be Smurfy
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Reading Log
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I definitely think reading logs are useless. Like others said, the parents just sign it, and they very rarely watch the kids read or read with them.

Since we use AR, I know if kids read at home because they're ready to take an AR test in the morning or after a week of reading a chapter book. When their AR progress hasn't changed in a week, I write a note on there (a form goes home with graded papers weekly, that also says their AR progress) that says "Please read more nightly". Parents sign that. It lets them know I can tell they're not reading. If ELA grades are low, I put it on the same form and progress report as well. In other words, I hold the parents accountable.

When parents ask for suggestions in helping raise an ELA grade, I always suggest they read WITH a child as the first step. I explain to them how to ask the child questions before, during, and after reading. I tell them to read a page/paragraph then the child reads a page/paragraph. I did that with my own children and it was great bonding time.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

reading logs
Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach third grade and I started using reading logs with questions. I couldn't care less about parent signatures, so I don't ask for them. Instead, students have to answer summary questions about the pages they read each night. I also only grade it each Friday, since grading it nightly would drive me crazy.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote