Help

First Grade

Class Dojo- any thoughts?

>

PUKO

Class Dojo- any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, for years I've used a clip chart for behavior management. I'm thinking of starting CLASS DOJO this year. I understand it will also allow me to communicate with parents, thus forgoing my Textfree and Remind App for parent communications...Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! Love all my teacher pals!

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Dojo
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I switched to Dojo from a clip chart my last few years of teaching. I really like that it is not open for everyone's review. I hated the clip chart because kids were in each other's business. The communication with parents is quick and easy. It makes it convenient to address problems, but also to send positive remarks and pictures throughout the day. The parents loved it, also.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

I used both
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for the last two years in first grade. I let parents know if students turned in homework, and also how the behavior was for the day. It was easy, most days I could push one response for everyone because the students for the most part made good choices.

I think the difference in my class was parents being able to access me more readily. I liked that that working parents felt free to contact me, and I was able to handle some issues that probably would have gone to my principal, such as name calling of their child and some "bullying" issues. (Not real bullying, just a child being excluded from playing with another students.) I also felt the parents were more connected to the class because I sent pictures to them.

I did have a weird incident with a parent, and I was able to print out all of her messages and prove she was incorrect to my principal. I felt Dojo really improved my classroom all around!
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Keep it simple
Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I considered using Class Dojo until our admin made us sign off on all the online permissions. Some parents don't want their kid's pictures and data stored online. What is the company doing with all the pictures and data?
Why is it free?
Some experts are claiming the social media likes/clicks are just as addictive as gambling and drugs.
I decided to do private behavior folders with notes and phone calls instead of public displays like clipcharts and Dojo.
We also have a reward recess every Friday for the kids without folder marks and completing their work on time. One teacher on the team stays inside with the others for a study hall. This works great for us.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

T.y.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks guys! So, another ?, what are your rewards. If students get so many points by Friday they get _____? I want to eliminate my treasure box. ... what about class rewards, with a class of 20, they'd have to earn hundreds of points right?

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My partner teacher and I had Fun Friday based on percentage of positive points. 80% or higher earned Fun Friday. Lower than 80% had a behavior class. They reflected on behavior for week, had social skills lessons, worked on calming strategies, role played, etc. Usually they still got to particpate in a few minutes of the fun activity, too. Fun Friday was usually a video, centers like blocks/computers/art, or extra playground time.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

KZ1987

Old 08-09-2018, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do a tiered reward system with Class Dojo - as a whole class every few hundred points was a class reward - extra recess, game time, a special snack, - the points built up to bigger things like watching a movie or a class party. Individually students could choose from smaller treasure box items - pencils, eraser, stickers, bookmarks, etc, but they could also choose things like 10 minutes free time, homework passes, sit at the teachers desk, lunch with the teacher, write in pen for a day, sit with a friend for the day, etc. Again, the individual ones were tiered, so students could cash in their points on Friday, or save up until they had enough points for what they wanted. It was a bit of headache keeping track of all the points earned/spent with younger students, but with the 4th and 5th graders they were able to handle keeping track each week, which made it much easier.
KZ1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

bucki

Finished with it
Old 08-10-2018, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used it for a few years but found the parents stopped looking at it. Some didnít even set up an act the whole year.

I also found it a pain to stop in the middle of teaching to give or take away points. When I waited until I was done with the lesson, Iíd be so busy, Iíd forget what points were to be assigned

Last year I went to the clip system which Iíd never used before. Itís working so much better.

I think you need to find what works for each class. What works for one doesnít work the next.
bucki is offline   Reply With Quote