Out of Control Preschool! Help! - ProTeacher Community

PreK Teacher

PreK Teacher

Out of Control Preschool! Help!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach preschool and am a first year teacher. I have 3 children in my class of 10 who can't behave! I student taught and used a variety of behavior strategies in a kindergarten that all worked well. Everyone kept saying that I had such great behavior management skills. The kids I have now are out of control...they push, hit, spit, kick furniture, flip over chairs, etc....and they are only 4! Plus having 3 in one room does not help. I have a break chair where they can take a break and hold a stuffed animal or look at a book, but I try not to send them to it too much so it stays effective. I also have a sticker program where they have 3 chances to earn a sticker at the end of the day. They find the stickers highly reinforcing, but still can't seem to behave. I don't think any of the compliment jars, or earn a party, or color coded systems will work because they can't think that far ahead and need immediate reinforcement. I can't afford to give out a prize on a daily basis. I'm afraid if I have the day broken down onto a sticker chart to earn a prize, the other kids will feel it's unfair because they behave well and don't get any prizes. Any ideas?? All the ones I find are for older kids, and it's harder for preschool since they are so young. I'm having the parents come in for a Halloween Harvest Party in 2 weeks and I need my kids to straighten out asap! Help!

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might try, the "caught you being good" approach often-- for the kids who ARE behaving, rewarding them frequently with a sticker, a few minutes of free play or something, or some other reinforcer-- praise, be the helper, line leader, recess, whatever. Lots of praise for the ones doing what they are supposed to.

If kids get stickers on a chart and earn a prize at the end of the week, and some kids don't behave well enough to get a prize and don't think that's fair, then so what? Then THEY NEED TO LEARN to behave well enough so they DO get a prize.

If you set a limit, stick to it. No matter what. If you say, get in your chair or you have a time out, and they dont get in their chair, then put them in time out. If they spit, kick, whatever, put them in time out or whatever. No book, stuffy, or anything. And don't talk to them or give them any reinforcement if they are in the chair. Any attention (even saying "No you just sit there and be quiet") can be reinforcing. Even if they pout and cry, ignore it until their time out time is up, and then when its up, then talk to them abuot why they are there, have them apologize to you, then they can get up.

Its hard with little kids, and this is just my opinion, but it sounds like maybe things need to toughen up a bit in your room, if things are this out of control already. But I don't know your room.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Paul S.

Magic Rocks
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay. There is this idea that I used when working in K that really worked. It is called "Magic Rocks". What you tell the kids is that you are a magician who can turn them into anything but that you must always turn them into a rock first and they are to do it as fast they can to see who is the best rock. Ask them show you what a rock looks like. Most will curl up or simply turn into a statue. Praise them for being such good rocks. Then say that now they are rocks you can turn them into whatever you want. Turn them into frogs. They will hop around and then you say "rocks". Do this a couple of times allowing them to be birds, butterflies, horses, etc. Don't over use it but practice it.

What was good was that whenver I wanted, I could say "rocks" and they would become statues. Then, after an animal or two, I could turn them into "well-behaved children".

Hope that helps.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote

junebaby72

same issue in my daycare
Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i work at a daycare, and am realizing the differences between this envt and public school....but my biggest problem is a child with ADD who is on meds..but every so often spins out of control and hits other children, then will hit me when i pick her up or remove her from her inappropriate actions.
She just recently got a meds change, and now eats more and takes a nap...but then when she wakes up, she seems to be just as out of control. I'm not quite sure how to structure the program or what methods to use to help with her behavior...

any suggestions would be appreciated
junebaby72 is offline   Reply With Quote
PK 3 Teacher

PK 3 Teacher

Old 11-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Did you try to perhapes give the children more responsibility. Things like "special helper" everyone in the class gets aa day. I have 17 three year olds, we have 5 daily helper things, so five kids a day, but as soon as the misbehave they lose their helper spot.

kidsrcute

kidsrcute

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daycare kids do all get a sticker at the end of the day, but, before that, they have to earn the color pages and the story. I tell them how good they are all the time. I make sure they get to tell thier parents how good they were before they go. They believe me and ask if they are good. You sound discouraged a bit. I tell them that i love them but, dont always love thier behavior. Distraction is key. When the whole group wont settle i quickly grab something else to do and we talk about summer activities or whatever and then ,right back to whatever i originally wanted them to do. It works every time. They are so young ,they dont know they have been tricked. I dont know why they do things that are wrong ,but if they dont see what is right and good coming from me , where will they find it? They dont get away with alot in my daycare but, they know its because i want the best for each one of them.