Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Alexa in Middle School

>

BuddyDogKC

Alexa in Middle School
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since today is Prime Day, I was thinking of getting an Echo Dot. Does anyone use an Alexa device in their middle school classroom? If so, how do you use it? I did some research and found a lot of ideas for elementary, but not too much info for middle school. I teach social studies, so Iím particularly interested in ideas for US history and geography. Iíve thought of a few ideas so far, but wanted to open it up for more suggestions. Thanks, and happy Prime Day shopping!

BuddyDogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

I have a personal Echo.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

NO WAY would I have one in my middle school classroom! I can only imagine what the kids would ask it!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

BuddyDogKC

model
Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel like if you model how to use it appropriately, then I think it can be a pretty powerful resource.
BuddyDogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In middle school? I wouldn’t. No way. I always seem to get the kid who suddenly blurts out something weird. This past year, I had one boy, in a very deep voice, loudly sing out “nationwide is on your side”. Funny the first time, not every day. That one took a sit down discussion to stop. Ya, so no way!

But then, if you think you can model it and be successful, more power to ya!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I kinda feel like it would turn out like this

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/6zs9up/alexas-the-coolest

But if you insist. You could play World Detective. It gives you clues about a city and country (like it is bordered by this other country, or this landmark can be seen) where the person you are looking for is hiding and you have to guess the country. It could be a fun geography activity.

I mostly use my Echo at home for basic things like playing music, telling me about the weather, asking it to determine percentages when I am grading , and looking up recipes. Be careful since it can also call people.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 07-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Now I want an Alexa for my classroom! I seriously never thought of that before! I love to listen to music and use Amazon Prime all the time. I also like to ask Siri silly questions my kids come up with all the time on my phone, but Alexa is so much smarter! I'm going to have to wait until the go back on sale!
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We were told recently that Alexa (or similar devices) are not allowed in any school or classroom in our district (preK-12th grade). Maybe make sure itís allowed where you are first.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Dot
Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The last I heard our admin. was planning to buy them for all science and social studies classes.

Hmm, I have one at home and I really don't want one at school. I really could see it causing chaos (like the South Park clip-ha) when a substitute was in or even when I'm doing hall duty by the door. What teenage boy could resist?

If I do get one for school, it won't be linked to my home account. That could be really dangerous if the kids started ordering stuff. Even with the ability to shut that off, there is always some smart kid who can "hack" into everything. Maybe in elementary or high school, it would be better?

Trivia games would be fun. Also, I do like the way it can read stories or audiobooks to kids. Jokes are good but the rest...
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote