Help

Second Grade

First Week of School

>

learn

First Week of School
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am use to teaching K & 1st grade where we take a whole week to just teach how to behave, our classroom routines etc, while doing read alouds and creating cute projects.

In second grade how many days/projects do you do with the students to get classroom management in place/routine? Not sure about everyone, but we will be starting school on a Friday.

Suggestions and ideas of a plan would be great!

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

First day/Week
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I find it strange you start on a Friday. It seems awkward. We start on a Monday which means by Friday everyone is dragging. I think the perfect way to start is on a Wednesday so you ease back into the concept of getting up early again!

Second, I would give at least a week for getting to know you, procedures, etc. Second graders still require a lot of practice. You will need to continually review procedures, etc for quite a while.
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Ideas
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Any ideas/activities you like to do with them to implement these?

hopealope

Routines
Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do lots of getting to know you activities and review routines procedures. We do read alouds like First Day Jitters, You're Finally Here, Recess Queen, If Everybody Did That to review reading skills and discuss expectations. Lots of Math about me and place value games. Hopes and dreams, write class expectations together, create a list of rewards the class would like to work towards.
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

First week
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Remember that new second graders are really just "firsties". They will need some review that first week. I set up review centers to practice first grade skills. This also gave me a chance to observe socialization, get a feel for levels, and make note of possible behavior conflicts.

If you need a few time fillers, or quick breaks, gonoodle.com is a great resource. This will get kids up and moving in short spurts to get summer wiggles out.

Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

First week
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would give my classes a good week of getting to know each other, routines, expectations, etc. they will pick it up quicker than Ks and firsties, but they still need to practice them.

I did a lot of community based projects like getting to know you Bingo, a scavenger hunt in classroom so they learn where things are, All About Me posters, etc. plus some free reading time, definitely GoNoodle breaks, lots of read alouds. The math program had a skills test I would always give during the first week.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

first week
Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We start on a Tuesday this year, and it's only 2 weeks away!

This is my first year to teach 2nd (I taught 3rd for a LONG time), but I'm still planning on teaching/modeling/practicing routines and procedures for at least the first week, and possibly into the 2nd depending on how the first week goes.

I'll change up those with getting-to-know-you, read alouds, etc... to break things up. Some things I'm doing the first week:
*Give a name word search with "I am a 2nd grader" coloring sheet on the back - for something to do when they arrive.
*Read Morris Goes to School - give kids stickies to write what they want to learn this year.
*Me Bag - show them mine and give for homework the 1st night. The 2nd day they put them all in the front and I randomly choose 1 throughout the day and the kids have to try to guess who it belongs to.
*Show Minions video to introduce rules and explain clip chart.
*Read Chrysanthemum book and do "wrinkled heart" activity. I'll have the poem typed out so they can just glue that onto the heart at the end as a reminder.
*Complete "Year is going to be sweet" sheet (on a candy cut-out to go along with my candy theme) to hang in the hallway.
*Beach ball with questions on it (favorite game, color, etc...) - throw it around the room to learn about each other.
*Read Spaghetti on a Hotdog Bun and talk about differences - then do a venn diagram with a partner to compare each other.
*Read Enemy Pie book and do the friendship activity that goes with it.
*Read Wodney Wat book and explain differentiation with the bandaids (on Pinterest).
*Read Calvin Can't Fly book and how important it is to read. Give classroom library procedures.
*Read Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker book and discuss important of not blurting.
*Take a class picture for the website (after all approvals come back).
*Take individual pictures with them holding their "I am a 2nd grader" coloring sheet.
*Rules game - put a different answer on each desk. The kids walk around with music playing, and sit in a desk when the music stops. I call out a rule question and whoever has that answer on their desk raises their hand. Rule is discussed and then start again.
*Transportation graph - kids get their transportation picture (bus, YMCA, car) and then glue it to a large graph in the front.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Thank you so much!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That sonds fabulous SusanTeach!