Working for Sylvan - ProTeacher Community

Sam0022

Sam0022

Working for Sylvan
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have applied several times and called and been told I would be scheduled for an interview. Now I have found out that they are using non certified people to teach? They tell parents their teachers have training. I would much rather work at Sylvan for the great pay they have then for what I am making in a nonteaching job. There is only 1 Sylvan in my area - so no where else to apply. Apparently it is who you know that gets you hired - because I am not getting hired - despite this being my area of expertise.

midlife sub

Sylvan Options
Old 03-11-2006, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work for eSylvan - (online tutoring program.) They are in desperate need of teachers. Do the regular Sylvan centers pay alot? You only get paid $10 an hr. for eSylvan. But you get to work at home from your own computer! If interested - check out esylvan.com.
midlife sub is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

Sylvan's pay
Old 03-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What does Sylvan pay anyway? Do they base it on experience? Maybe that's why, they can pay them less?
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

re sam
Old 03-13-2006, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you're right. I applied and had an interview. It went ok, but I wasn't hired. I think its who you know because I have lots of experience and even special ed. licenses, and Math. I heard the pay isn't great anyway so I didn't let it bother me. I wasn't crazy about working with kids all weedend anyway. I think the online tutoring requires a Master's degree, right?
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

jen. K

Sylvan
Old 03-13-2006, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I worked for sylvan before I got my first full-time teaching job. I was certified when I was hired but was a little taken aback by the amount of training I did recieve. I know I floundered a lot for the first 6 months because my training was only for 20 minutes. Some of sylvan's programming was much different from anything I had seen before and i did at times feel unqualified. I also noted that they did hire uncertified teachers and felt that although the teachers were great, parents are being misled for the huge amount of money they pay.

jen. K is offline   Reply With Quote

MelissaJ

Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

how much do they pay? i have an interview tomorrow...and i'm unsure if this is something i should go through with after all the bad things i have heard about it.
MelissaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Kristine

Not sure if I'm right but..
Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I heard you get $20.00 an hour, but you have up to 3 or 4 kids at a time. My sister tutors one kid at a time at her house and gets $40.00 an hour. I think the tutoring places charge too much and don't give the kids what they really need. Tutor U won't let them do the math they're doing at school until they can pass a test of simple addition. They just keep doing the same simple computation, but never get into problem solving. Has anyone heard any of this before?
Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote

MelissaJ

Interview
Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I interviewed today. Where do you live? Because this Sylvan pays $9/hour. Private tutoring definitely pays more..but from what I heard today...Sylvan provides you with all materials and everything you would need. As a private tutor, you have to struggle to get clients and I don't like the idea of going into someone else's home. The idea of a center is much more appealing to me. Besides that...do you really go into education for the money?

Mrs.B

need more hours
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I interviewed with Sylvan recently but they don't have alot of hours and don't pay enough. I'm still considering it for summer work but I'm still undecided.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

MelissaJ

Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What's the interview like for eSylvan?

MelissaJ

Old 04-11-2006, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I did as you suggested....applied at eSylvan and was hired!!! I can't wait to start. Now I just have to decide what I am going to do if the Sylvan CENTER I applied at calls me back!
Mikel

Mikel

Conisdering Center Director position
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I just wanted to get your opinions on the Center Director position at a given Sylvan Learning Center. I am under consideration for this job right now. How do you as teachers interact with the center Director? What would you, personally, like to see in one? What is the most important thing a Center Director could do for the teachers?
-Mikel.
EmilyG

EmilyG

EmilyG
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just started working at a Sylvan.. the center I'm working at only hires licensed teachers, but that's not true of all Sylvans. They give you their own training and certify you from "Sylvan University" and say all their teachers are certified. At my particular center it's true (in the way that most people take the statement). The pay isn't great .. ours pays $9/hour, plus training bonuses. We also have meetings every 3 or 6 months to be evaluated for a raise.

In response to the last post for a Center Director.. I don't really interact with ours too much, although he's very nice - he just has a LOT to do. If you are a Center Director I would just make sure to communicate with everyone - I tutor and give assessments and plan lessons as well, and I don't always know what's coming up, which can get frustrating :-\.
Tutor

Tutor

Tutor
Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sylvan is the worst place to send a child to learn as well as to work as a teacher. Parents pay $50 an hour and teachers make $12. The philosophy of Sylvan is weighted much more on quantity rather than quality. An hour of sylvan tutoring consists mainly of kill and drill worksheets. Parents are paying $50 for an hour of busy work. I have worked at Sylvan as a tutor now for almost a year and am leaving. No raise after many different trainings. I teach multiple subjects, update student folders and have also conducted assessments. With all this training and knowledge you would think Sylvan would show appreciation for their teachers by compensating them with small raises and/or bonuses. To anyone looking to get a job at Sylvan; good luck to you but don't say that no one warned you.
Mama C

Mama C

Mama C
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

How do you apply for eSylvan? Is there a number to call to answer questions?

ccarlton

fellow Sylvan teacher
Old 05-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I live in Arizona and tutor part time at Sylvan. I love working at Sylvan. I make $11/hr. I use that money for my savings, it's the perfect side income for me. I applied, did some observing,and training and started in the same week. It's a great little job, and it gives me good ideas for my classroom.
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Brady

Brady

Sylvan
Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

They pay 8 to 10 an hour - no raises ever! You have to arrive early - without pay and stay after to clean up and put away things. Often your pay is zero - they let you drive in and cancel you - then let the uneducated managers teach instead. Little to no supplies, pages missing from books, no markers or white boards, most of lesson isn't even printed out (this saves the center money) - your lucky if you can find 3 pencils and a sheet of paper. Schedule changes minute to minute - students needlessly flipped and rotated amongst teachers. No training for teachers. They hire anyone who walks in the door - reason - is to get you to sign the no compete clause - to prevent you from private tutoring or working for someone else. You might sign it and NEVER get any hours. I think some of the centers are really ripping off parents and the government (they get alot of government money). I feel really sorry for the students - because I do love teaching - and I have put in a lot of volunteer hours - but honestly with gas being so high - I can't keep doing that - especially when I see the center hire people without degrees to teach and having no supplies to teach with. I am sure many centers are run/managed well however.
olen

olen

are you kidding me?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

$8/hour to tutor? and three children at once? that's frightening and no one should do that work for so little money - ESPECIALLY from a big corporation like Sylvan. The concept of a "learning center" is creepy anyway and sounds like a shop in a mall.

I make $32/hour, tutoring one on one, through wyzant.com, when I want and where I want. the student pays $45, the agency gets a cut, and I get the rest. I know San Francisco is the second most expensive city in the US after NYC, but come on people - don't work for that little money! your skills are worth so much more!

I recommend registering yourself with Wyzant if you're a tutor. Or just post an ad on craigslist yourself.

kashmead

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I agree with Tutor. I worked at Sylvan about 5 years ago, and I got paid $10/hr. I could make triple that with private tutoring. I didn't agree with all the worksheets to teach kids. It is a drill and kill program. Then to hear the conversations the directors would have with parents to get them to sign up was just sad. They would ask the parents what's more important than your child's education when the families didn't have the money needed to afford Sylvan. Families would take out 2nd mortgages on their houses to pay for tutoring. I recommend doing your own private tutoring over Sylvan any day, but good luck with getting your job.
kashmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Tutor

Young Tutor

Tutoring
Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi . I a very young tutor but I really need tips I live in DC and I am only getting paid $10 per session and some times it take him 4 hours to do about a hour worth of work. I do one on one tutor with one of my neighbor's grandson. If you could see by my pay I am not really good at confrontation but I want to be good at it. Even thought I am not good at that I want to get paid more. I just want to know if some one can give me some tips with my little problem. Even if you can't thank you for reading this.

elepen

working from home for esylvan
Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hi:

I worked from 2002-2006 from home doing online tutoring. First it was esylvan then it changed to educate. I would like to do this again but it seems like you can only work at the centers, even though the students can still be at home on their computers. Does anyone know what happened that there are no longer jobs working from home

elepen
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Educator2011

Educator2011

Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am currently a teacher and would like to start tutoring online this coming summer and replace my current classroom job for online tutoring or online teaching when I have a baby. What are everyone's experiences with the flexibility in the education process online while having a small one at home?

Elepen, what are your thoughts on Educate tutoring? I am checking into this and Tutor.com
tcg4

tcg4

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I work in at an LA area Sylvan in California - pay is 12/hour. Nothing close to what a full time salary brings of course but if you get enough hours you can do ok. Other states pay less, just depends where you live and how equitable the franchise owner is.

fishingforfun

Sylvan
Old 06-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I worked at Sylvan for extra money 2 years ago. I got paid $10 an hour and worked with up to 3 kids at a time. The center made $45 an hour per kid.

I was trained in beginning reading, writing, study skills, advanced reading, and math. The more classes you're trained in, the more hours we were able to work. All of our teachers were certified, but I was the only one that had a full time job in a school.
fishingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
DIY

DIY

new online tutoring website
Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

im working on a website that would allow tutors to setup their own online tutoring bussiness. by integrating video web chat, whiteboard and scheduling technology tutors and teachers will be able to set up their profile, list their credentials, set their own pay rate and be paid 75-80% of theis fee using a pay per minute system. please email me if interested.

kenyon burns
igolf510#gmail.com
Dusk25

Dusk25

Tutor Question
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I just started working at Sylvan. I love the people and the kids. However, I am very overwhelmed at the pile of activities for each child, because much of the activities requires to be interactive with the kids all at the same time. How do you balance instruction all at once? Not every child is assigned a quiet, self-learning activity...so how do you do the non-self-learning activities that are all different with each child at the same time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want so want to do an excellent job.

Dusk25

Tutoring Question
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Hi Jen,

I just got hired at Sylvan and didn't receive much training at all. I sat with another teacher for a little while, but, she happened to have one child taking a test, one doing a quite activity and one needing one-on-one instruction. I have 3 children all needing one-on-one instruction, and I am not sure how to balance this all at the same time. Would you be so kind to enlighten me how you balanced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Dusk25
Dusk25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilybook

It's all about activity choice
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I have been working at Sylvan for 2 yrs now. When you have a 3 top table, the key is to pick the activities carefully. I always start 2 students with an independent activity while I do GP with one and alternate between them. So while 2 students are working you're teaching the third.
What areas are you teaching? I teach BR, SAR, SAW, and SME (up to grade 6). Brain trainers are the key to keeping kiddos working even when they have finished up and are waiting for you. Most of my students love wordsearches and tangrams, and of course, the wrap ups.
Lilybook is offline   Reply With Quote

Dusk25

Tutoring Part II
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Thank you, Lilly! Your kindness and suggestions are most appreciated. Thank you for taking time out to help me.

I am teaching beginning reading, vocabulary, word analysis, beginning math with grades K-2. I find the Building Skills Level book a bit confusing, but, the other books, definitely make sense. I also find the proper distribution of the tokens a bit confusing.
Sometimes worksheets are included without instruction, or there are three different folders with different instructions on each. Not sure which to follow.

Forgive me, I am trying to get the hang of all the abbreviations...but, what does GP mean? What does SAW and SME mean? I am thinking SME may be secondary mathematics education? I try to come in early to prep the work, so I give more focus on the kiddos.

I have only put in about 3 hours so far, so forgive me as I try to figure everything out.

I really appreciate you, your time and advice.
Dusk25 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

sylvan
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I have no personal experience working at Sylvan, but know several people who have, and they said it was pretty much a for-profit business, and the emphasis was on the for-profit part. While the franchises charged the parents $50 per hour for PRIVATE tutoring--very misleading because there were at all times 2 other students who were supposed to rotate through worksheets--the tutors were paid $10-12 with very little training. So while the teacher got $10, they were raking in the other $140!

The one franchise I was familiar with (through a student) "guaranteed" a one-year growth and "close collaboration" with the classroom teacher, all that for $50 per hour twice a week for 6 months.

I realized it was a complete fraud when the tutor called me the first time and told me my student had been assessed at more than a grade level below where I knew my student was at the time she started with Sylvan. She told the parents (and me) that the child was at a pre-K level, when I knew very well that she was at beginning of first grade level. By simply assessing the child far lower than she really was, Sylvan could guarantee the year's growth. The "close collaboration" with the classroom teacher was that one-time conversation. I never heard from the tutor again.

After 6 weeks the parents took her out of Sylvan because they did not like the tutoring ratio. They found a private tutor for $25 per 1/2 hour where she was the only student. The tutor and I spoke after each tutoring session.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote
sillhy

sillhy

teaching
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

We do not assess the students below grade level. It has to do with what the child gives us. And if it's such a scam....please tell me how I've seen students grow so much academically. If you prefer a private tutor, that's your preference. Please do not bash Sylvan. We are here to bring kids up in their reading and math levels. And we do converse with the teachers. The parents do not talk with the tutors because it is not the teacher's job to talk with the parents. It is the director's job to speak with them.
KPson

KPson

Your Sylvan experience
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

If you aren't successful in receiving a job through Sylvan, maybe try an overseas position in teaching. Many countries overseas need Native-English speakers to teach English, Conversational and Math in English. Give that a try if you don't have crazy obligations keeping you here. I've just returned from an overseas job. Are you certified in TEFL or TESL?
KPson

KPson

Wow
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Ok. I'm glad I came across this post and yes a craigslist post isn't such a bad idea. I've done work overseas and was leaning towards that again. I called a Sylvan not long before seeing this post. I'll send my resume anyway, but I'll look into the site you've mentioned and Kumon before leaving again. It's sad that people can't make more than $15/hr to teach. Teaching isn't easy. I had over 1000 students per week and taught at 3 different locations. Someone asked, if you teach for the money, but it as to be fair, for such hard work.