How mandatory are mandatory sub orientations? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How mandatory are mandatory sub orientations?

>

Sirsubalot

How mandatory are mandatory sub orientations?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My latest starting district sent out a letter yesterday stating that failure to attend the orientation meeting on August 9 could result in suspension from the district.

My earliest and largest district starts school on August 9, and the last two years, there were jobs available on the first day.

The sub tech is out on leave, so I can not yet ask about an alternative to the orientation.

I am sure there are some subs out of town on this day. Do they need to cancel their plans or cut vacations short to attend this meeting?

How serious is this attend or else threat?

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Idk
Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my district, if you don't attend, you cannot work that year.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just noticed the letter was dated two weeks before I got it in the mail, yet I live only a mile from the district office. Why the delay?

Ima Teacher

Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You seriously wouldn't think it was worth it to miss ONE day with one district and lose a whole year with another? That doesn't make sense to me.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district has several days to chose from for the yearly orientation, but attendance is mandatory if you want to work for the next year. Our orientation is always at the end of May for the upcoming year, so I just know I won’t be working that day.

Risking the loss of a whole year’s worth of work just to sub in another district (on the first day of school, no thank you) doesn’t seem like a good trade-off to me.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-31-2018, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We usually get a choice of a few different dates, but attendance at one is a mandatory condition of employment.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would never be so foolish as to trade an entire district for working one day elsewhere, but I considered asking if I could partake in some alternative to the orientation to avoid losing a day's pay.

This seems feasible considering I have been with the district 20 years, and also considering it
is unlikely this orientation is written in stone since it is the only date and time available.

Would the district be so stubborn as to let someone go because they had vacation plans and was not in town for this orientation?

theapple

Sub Orientation
Old 08-01-2018, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My 2 cents.... go to the sub orientation. I understand that there might be a chance for you to sub on the first day in another district, but I agree with Ima Teacher and mooba1. Its not worth it to skip orientation.

In my district, you will sit out until you attend orientation, which happens once a month (to allow new subs to have orientation). We had a sub this past year choose not to attend the orientation in July or August. She had to wait until the one in September before she was allowed to sub again. She is a great sub and we love having her sub in our classes. She was upset, which is understandable, but I can guarantee she learned her lesson.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would ask one district for an alternate date or plan because I might work in another that day. It might seem that you are uninterested in their district. 20 years or not, it could give that impression.

So, once again... my 2 cents... go to the orientation! It will be worth it in the long run!
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I will go to the orientation, but I would still be curious to know what happens to the poor sods who can't make it since there were no other choices..

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I would still be curious to know what happens to the poor sods who can't make it since there were no other choices..
They figure out how to make it. That's how adulting works.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Go
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I believe if you want the privilege to sub for a particular school district you have a responsibility to to attend their required orientation. If you were given a sub manual it may list the consequences of not attending the meeting. Whether in the manual or in the letter announcing the orientation, I would assume the likelihood that the school system will follow what is in print.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Raising the bar...
Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with the many who have said, in one form or another, "make the orientation a priority."

The fact that it's mandatory probably means several things. To suggest a few:
  • It will include essential information for subs working in the district
  • It's a great way to measure the commitment of subs
If I absolutely couldn't make it (I'll be in surgery that day) I would address the problem with someone (sub coordinator, admin) to explore alternatives. I like Ima Teacher's perspective.

Quote:
They figure out how to make it. That's how adulting works.
Subs should be able to demonstrate problem-solving skills. I admire this district's attempt to "raise the bar."
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 08-02-2018, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I feel like I was harsh in my response last night. The school system I am associated with does not provide a lot of support for subs. They only offer two sub trainings per year, and they are multi day, and I'm not even sure they pay the subs for their time. Many subs, including degreed subs give up and we always reach a point that there is a sub shortage.

Each year, any sub who has worked at least one day of the previous school year and has not been fired, may return. This school system does not offer an orientation for returning substutes. I believe an orientation for someone who has subbed before may be more beneficial than the initial orientation because the sub may have questions that arose, or wish for further support, say with classroom management. This would also be a good time to inform subs of new policies or reinforce important policies that seem to get overlooked. It's also a good time to do a mini PD session, especially if it is a district with Title I schools.

Even though I was a para for years, and I am a degreed teacher, I haven't had my own classroom yet. I am still learning. A large number of subs have similar credentials and many only have a high school diploma. I would welcome a yearly one day orientation.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is somewhat ironical that this is only the 2nd sub orientation in my 20 years with the district.

I missed the first one 10 years ago because the receptionist lost my return to work slip, so they thought I chose not to return.

It was also the only year we had a rude sub tech, so I really had to fight to get reinstated, after missing the first three weeks. I also lost the $100.

The subs got paid for this last orientation, but not this one.

Our coordinator is on a leave of absence, so I can not inquire through her regardless.

Although it was difficult, I did not accept a 10 day assignment yesterday to open the year in the other district, at the cost of $1600.

Hopefully I can work the last nine elsewhere, so the loss will not be so great.

Sirsubalot

Old 08-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Well this meeting better be enlightening.

My other district starts tomorrow, and I have already passed on many jobs ranging from two to 60 days in length to attend this orientation.

This notice came from the superintendent's office and not our sub coordinator, who is out on leave and has a sub.

There is no mention of this orientation on the school's web site, so I hope it is still on.

The fact that there were no alternate arrangements offered for those who cannot attend, and that there was a threat of suspension for those who do not attend, is, in my opinion, a demonstration of lack of respect for subs.

It also makes no sense that we were required to come in the final week of school last year to get new ID badges, and these badges have 2017-2018 school year printed on them.

Now we need to come in during school hours to get the 2018-2019 badges to begin work this year. The deadline each day is 3PM.

Singfree

Old 08-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sorry you're going through this Sirsubalot! How was the meeting?

I agree that a mandatory, non-paid day with no alternatives and threat of suspension is disrespectful. It won't be long they'll be twiddling their thumbs wondering why they have a sub shortage. It's really rather simple, provide at least a couple choices and pay people for mandatory training. Psychology research backs those practices up; it's the smart, decent thing to do. Also, I think labor laws require training be paid when it's mandatory and occurs during work hours, so they may be violating labor laws with such practices. Hope it works out and you don't lose too much income because of it!
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you for the support. The orientation lasted a little over the hour, and was not crucial. except for the handouts which we should have been able to pick up at our leisure if we could not make it.
We all signed in next to our name before entering the gym for the meeting.

The meeting cost me two days of work so far. I passed on 12 jobs.

In hindsight, I do not think we would have actually been suspended had we not shown up, but I will never know for sure.

Also in hindsight, I should have gone to the personnel office to see if there was an alternative.

The personnel secretary seemed quite nice, so I suspect she would have helped me find a solution.

I partly blame myself for this.

August 9 is quite early to begin the year, so I doubt they expected any scheduling conflicts.

Singfree

Old 08-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Sirsubalot, I'm glad you're getting days of work after passing on a 10 day. I always worry about causing waves, so I'd be nervous requesting an alternative with the letter saying the consequence of not attending was suspension. But, I guess it never hurts to ask? At least next time (if there is a next time), you'll know what to expect. I hope otherwise you're having a good start to a new school year!
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 08-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Nothing as of yet, I am 0-2 to start the year. I should be 2-0.

There were no Friday only jobs; one would have had to work both Thursday and Friday.

At least with three districts, I will have a potential 193 days to work.

OneGreatSub

Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My district only holds orientation for newbies. Returning subs don't even hear about it. And, of course, it's unpaid as are any workshops. Only profession I know where people pay for access to jobs and, once at work, are frequently treated with disdain.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote