Help

National Board Certification

C4 Group Profile/KoS

>

TeachMath232

C4 Group Profile/KoS
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in a support program for national boards, and I found this statement in my documents and wanted feedback since the program has not officially started yet.

"Identify possible needs that your students have that have reoccurred in your classroom year after year OR that is backed up by your state tests. (Eg. Perhaps fractions is a low scoring area for all fourth grade students in your state. Using trends on a state exam for your grade is another way that you can prove it is a TREND.)"

So in 7th grade math the past two years, expressions, specifically combining like terms and distributing a rational number, have been our lowest standard on the state test. Because this is a trend, can I use this as a student need with my 7th graders and prove the need is met through my formative assessment and summative assessment?

TeachMath232 is offline   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, this sounds like it could be a possibility. But I'm not clear on whether this is the topic you want to use for the Assessment part or one of the other parts such as the Professional Learning Need (PLN) or the Student Need (SN). It COULD be used for any or all of those parts.

The formative assessment measures learning UP TO a particular point within a unit of study and the summative assesses learning from the WHOLE unit of study. You can use this topic for the SN as well as for the assessment, but I think only data from the FA and the SA wouldn't be strong enough to be the sole sources of data to show a SN. Look for something that shows a need over time.

Hope that helps.
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachMath232

Old 08-16-2018, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay to back up and punt...

We give common assessments in my district for 9 weeks and semester exams. If I pulled my data from the last two years, I think it would also show expressions as my lowest standard. Can I use this year's common assessments for the SA and compare to previous years?

Also, I thought assessment part had to go with the SN because the FA, SSA, and SA were how you showed evidence of meeting the student need?

NBCoach

Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Assessment, PL, and SN parts CAN be related OR NOT. Two can be related and one not. All 3 can be separate. All 3 can be related...it's your choice. I've created a graphic that can help show how this can play out. Send me a pm on this site with your email address and I"ll send it to you. Can't put emails etc. into posts.

Yes, you can use the data from previous years and I'd think the data from your common assessments (which would be part of your KOS) is ok too for identifying the need.

So here is a scenario that I think follows your thinking. This scenario connected the 3 parts.

ASSESSMENT SECTION:The data you talk about in your post identifies that expressions is a weak area for your students. As a result, you plan a unit of study about expressions. You give a FA, SA, and SSAs during the unit. You use ONE of your own classes as the Profile Group.

PLC Part (SN): You could also identify this as the SN in the Participation in Learning Communities section. The SN requires collaboration, advocacy, and /or leadership on you part, so maybe here, you use your grade level and include the other teachers and classes. If you want, you could also use the for your PLN. Here you'd show that you had a need to LEARN how to better address the students' weaknesses with expressions and teach it better. You can talk about yourself AND (if applicable) your colleagues. You'd tell about trainings, books you read etc. that helped you LEARN to teach this skill better.

OR
The 3 don't have to be connected. You can use a different topic for each, or connect any 2 of them and have 1 that's totally different.

Does that make sense?

TeachMath232

Old 08-24-2018, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes this makes sense and is in line with I was thinking!

So I can use my data from the last two years' 7th grade common assessment and use it as a measuring stick so to speak for this year's 7th grade class?

NBCoach

Old 08-24-2018, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes if the directions say you can go back 2 years.

TeachMath232

Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The only thing I see is, "The period for evidence collection is the 12 months prior to the date of the opening of the ePortfolio Submission Window as described in the Guide to National Board Certification."

So I guess I couldn't submit the data from 2016-17 as evidence, but I could base my focus standard from that data? Like which standard on the assessment was low both years or which one decreased from the prior year? To me that is just narrowing down your focus and setting an instructional goal.

NBCoach

Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, you're getting a handle on it. It's very important to stay within the timeframe given in the directions.

TeachMath232

Old 08-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great, thank you! Technically, I couldn't submit either year's test scores as evidence because 12 months prior to submission window wouldn't include October or December 2017. But, I would be able to submit this year's test scores as evidence.

Can I use the same unit for C2 and C4? So if I use the expressions unit for my assessments portion of C4, can I also use activities from this unit to submit for C2? I have looked all in the directions, and all I have seen is C3 has to be different from C2.

NBCoach

Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, you can use the same UNIT, but the LESSONS must be different.

TeachMath232

Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wonderful. Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. I'm sure I will be back again soon lol

memorable

Graphic
Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have been following this thread, and I, too, am completing Component 4 this year. Thank you for such a very detailed, clear explanation. If possible, may I also receive the graphic you have created. I am not a senior member, so I cannot initiate a PM. Thanks for considering my request.
memorable is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachMath232

Old 09-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Okay after reflecting more, this is my rough plan for C4 based on what I mentioned above. I hope I go with this plan in about two weeks when we begin the expressions unit. I know everything does not have to connect, but I think for me, it would be easier to keep C4 isolated to my 7th grade expressions unit. I am attempting C2 and C3 this year as well, so I don't want to risk overlapping units/lessons for the other components.

C4 Reflective and Effective Practitioner
*Rough Plan*
1st Block

Knowledge of Students: 73.6% of first block, 7th grade students indicated they “sometimes” or “usually” prefer to work in groups. However, these students also indicated they did not enjoy group work in the past because they “have been the only person working” (BoY survey data).

Collectively, the students did not have attendance issues. Parental involvement is low. Students are eager to please their teachers. They want to be successful. (Previous teachers)

Current teachers agree that as a whole, this year’s 7th grade class works better in groups than previous groups of students. (current 7th grade teachers)

Need more background info from parents and/or community members.

Student Need: Increase understanding of 7.EE.1-2 CCSS on the district mandated 1st 9 weeks common assessment.
-Lowest scored standards from the 1st 9 weeks common assessment for the past two years.
-Lowest scored standards on the state test for the past two years.

Group work and hands-on activities on expressions have not been implemented in previous years.

Professional Learning Need: Incorporate meaningful collaborative/cooperative hands-on activities to increase student understanding of mathematical concepts, specifically expressions.

Research hands-on strategies for teaching expressions.

Evidence: Prove collaboration with other 7th grade math teachers in creating meaningful collaborative/cooperative hands-on activities to increase student understanding of expressions.

Assessment:
Formative Assessment:
Think-Pair-Share? Exit Ticket? Four Corners? Will need to have a physical copy to provide evidence.

Student Self Assessment: Will need to create.

Summative Assessment: Data results from the district mandated 1st 9 weeks common assessment.
-Did the score for these standards increase?

Is a three week unit long enough to prove needs were met? Will the data need to be from the 1st semester common assessment instead of the 1st 9 weeks assessment?

NBCoach

Old 09-01-2018, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Memorable, send an email to bobbiemcf@gmail.com and I'll send it. I don't know of a way to send it through this site. I'll send to anyone who asks.

NBCoach

Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Sounds like you are on the right track in all parts. When you mention the CCSS in the SN, DO name it or briefly explain it. The assessors will not look it up to see what it refers to. This will likely morph a bit as you put it into practice, make decisions based on your KOS, student performance etc. Yes, 3 weeks CAN be enough. There isn't a time frame given, so you can take the time you need. Good planning!

TeachMath232

Old 09-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I could cry from joy right now! I've been forming this plan the entire month of August and it feels good to have a direction! Thank you SO much. Yes, I will be sure to elaborate on CCSS when I begin writing. I'm sure things will take a different turn as I go but at least I know I am not wasting precious time with this plan of action!

NBCoach

Old 09-02-2018, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Your plans show lots of thought. However, the best-laid plans do morph because we always monitor and adjust - so just expect some modifications along the way. When it comes to the CCSS, just name it briefly and go on. Don't actually explain it in any detail. Keep in mind details such as the SN requires collaboration, advocacy, and/or leadership. The PLN requires LEARNING on your part and/or from you and your colleagues. Remembering those details will help you stay on target. Go for it!

Zia

Old 09-03-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I agree with NBCoach--don't waste precious space on CCSS. Assessors don't know or care what 7.EE.1-2 CCSS is and that says nothing. I have no idea even what content area that is.I just used the gist of the CCSS (identify setting and character or whatever).

You are definitely getting there!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachMath232

Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The 7.EE.1-2 is mainly for me. I plan to show my results from last year's data in a spreadsheet, but I will describe the standard/skill rather than refer to it as 7.EE.1-2. The standard are for combining like terms and applying distributive property using rational coefficients. I definitely do not plan to go in to much detail about the standard or CCSS though!

Today was spent typing the commentary questions in a word document just to familiarize myself with what I will need to reflect on in the future. Baby steps-a little work each day!

TeachMath232

Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
The PLN requires LEARNING on your part and/or from you and your colleagues. Remembering those details will help you stay on target.
I know one of the other 7th grade teachers has been interested in learning to use algebra tiles in class. So if we discussed than in a PLC where I showed her how to use the tiles, would that be evidence of collaboration and possibly leadership? My biggest question is how to prove we did it-what evidence can I present other than our PLC minutes?

Zia

Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I will describe the standard/skill rather than refer to it as 7.EE.1-2.

Bingo!

Quote:
My biggest question is how to prove we did it-what evidence can I present other than our PLC minutes?

You can ask colleagues to write an affidavit detailing how you helped improve their practice and how it helped their students improve, preferably with data. It's what I did, anyway.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachMath232

Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Do we give the self assessment after we grade the formative assessment or do we give the self assessment on a separate paper with the formative assessment?

I keep thinking of self assessment as just error analysis. So if I mark test questions wrong, and I don't put the correct answer, then I can give the test back for students to self correct. Is this along the lines of self assessment for math? I am thinking of having them complete error analysis of their own work and then ask them to identify the strategies they used, how they know they used the strategy correctly, what could you do next time to be more successful. And then maybe list the "I Can" statements for these skills and have them circle their understanding on a scale of 1-4. So like "I can use properties of operations to write equivalent expressions." And then choose their ability level.

NBCoach

Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Yes, you are thinking along appropriate lines. An error analysis could be PART of the SSA, but it's not enough by itself. Give students a way for them to analyze their OWN learning through analysis and reflection. YES TO: Ask them to articulate their errors (what they did wrong); Ask theM to describe the strategy they used when making their correction; the I Can statements and the scale you mention. YOU will learn a lot from their feedback that will inform your next steps (instruction).

TeachMath232

Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Since my summative assessment for this component is a common assessment for the 9 weeks, can I only submit the questions on expressions for my evidence?

Also, since it is a common assessment and multiple teachers worked on it together, is it okay that I submit it? I would not think that has a copyright? I was planning to submit a page with the expressions questions only and then for the results, make a table comparing last year's data to this year as evidence of positively impacting student performance by using more hands on activities and collaborative learning.

NBCoach

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I think that will work. That type of assessment wouldn't be copyrighted.

TeachMath232

Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Back to self assessment again. I'm sorry!

Monday I gave the students a formative assessment exit ticket) with one question from each skill we have covered in the unit so far. The skills were identifying a like term, combining like terms with integer coefficients, evaluating an expression with substitution, and writing an expression from a real-world situation. I checked the exit ticket and circled incorrect answers. I also wrote feedback on their explanation for a "like term." Some of the students did not fully explain, so I used probing questions to get them to think deeper.

For the self-assessment, I gave them back the exit ticket and had them answer some questions on a reflection sheet. The top of the reflection had them rate their understanding on a scale of 1 to 4 for each of the skills on the exit ticket based on their results. Then I had questions at the bottom asking them to identify the strategy from class they used. Several did not use a strategy and missed the questions so I wanted their thoughts on that. The next question asked if their strategy worked and had them identify how they knew the strategy was successful. This was where they found the mistake (if any) and identified where they went wrong. They did very well with writing their thoughts and identifying the mistakes. Then the last question asked what they could do different next time. The students who did not miss anything answered here that they could try a different strategy next time to see if the problem was easier. Most of the reflections here said that they needed to apply a strategy from class instead of doing things their way.

Is this along the lines of what they are asking for in a self-assessment? TIA and sorry this was so lengthy!

NBCoach

Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Yes, definitely on the right track. Now you need to show HOW you used the SSA data to inform your next steps.

TeachMath232

Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

So my next step is providing data from the formative assessment and then telling/showing what I did next? Because the next day we did a group activity where they practiced combining like terms with integer coefficients using a tangram puzzle. I slowed down the pacing because we had some misconceptions on the formative.

NBCoach

Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Yes. You need to show that you took the data into consideration when planning what to do next.