Help

Classroom Management

Classical music in the classroom

>

mrteacherguy

Classical music in the classroom
Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone here used classical music during quiet individual/partner work time in their classroom? I teach 7th grade math, and having looped with my students, I want to change things up from last year, where I didn't do as much as I could/should have to make my classroom a nice place to be.

I remember a couple of my teachers doing it now and then, but nothing consistent. It's something I would like to start doing during my two intervention classes and then expanding to all of my classes.

I'm just looking for thoughts/input on this.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-18-2018, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I play The Piano Guys radio on Pandora. The kids like it better than classical.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

At Times
Old 08-19-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I might play classical or some calming music when students are writing. At other times I play classic rock or older songs. In a way, I do find that any music is disruptive but it depends on the class/activity.

One thing I never do is play THEIR music. I tell them that from the start. With the swearing and arguing it causes, it's too disruptive. I also tell them that if they complain, the music goes off.

There are times where I let students listen to their own music on headphones. A lot of times they will sit together and share headphones with a friend. I actually find that this keeps the talking down and is a good incentive for them to work or they will "lose" their music/seat.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Yes
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 3rd grade and I always play music in the classroom. I tell them that “science” shows that classical music makes you smarter I have music playing in the morning when they enter & do their morning bell work. Also, I play music during writing time and other independent work times.

I play everything from Classical, Jazz, the Piano Guys, 2 Guys and a Cello... I always play instrumental. I use Amazon Prime Music and Pandora to stream from my laptop. Sometimes I let them choose, other times I just play it. I love how the students begin to develop preferences to music they might never be exposed to otherwise.

It’s really important and I’m mindful to have times of working in quiet. Students need to be able to work in silence as well.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I play everything from Classical, Jazz, the Piano Guys, 2 Guys and a Cello... I always play instrumental. I use Amazon Prime Music and Pandora to stream from my laptop. Sometimes I let them choose, other times I just play it. I love how the students begin to develop preferences to music they might never be exposed to otherwise.
I'm just going to quote this because it's 100% what I would write.

I also play instrumental version of movie themes and Broadway musicals for active or energetic tasks.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Music streaming apps are blocked on our computers, but I played classical music from youtube for my third graders. Sometimes I played disney instrumentals. But you have to be careful of that. When Let It Go comes on they LET IT GO! .
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I play a lot of instrumental music during the day. Some kids ask for it if I forget to turn it on.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote