Help

Career Decisions

When you just don't love teaching anymore

>

Jagger87

When you just don't love teaching anymore
Old 09-03-2018, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my fourth year teaching and Iíve recently decided that I think it will be my last. I canít take the heartache of continuously getting bad evaluations because half of my students do not speak English at all and test scores are not weighted where I teach. I also am honestly just tired of working at such a high stress level and then struggling to pay bills with what little chump change I make. The stress would be worth it if I made a decent salary and vice versa. Iím wondering, have any of you found another job that pays better with your teaching degree? I also will be finished with my masters in ed leadership by the end of this school year and am thinking about looking for an assistant principal position. Iím also open to a new career completely outside of education. My heart just isnít in it anymore. Please give me advice!! I want to start a family of my own soon and need to make a decent salary. TIA.

Jagger87 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

leaving the classroom
Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got an additional degree in educational psychology so I could be a school psych. While the job is just as stressful, I get paid more at least. However, the stress in general just about broke me and I'm doing a part time thing this year.

I am not sure if an assistant principal job would be much better because you make more money, but you work more days per year. At least this is the case where I'm at. But if it interests you then, go for it!
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

MathGuy1982

I understand
Old 09-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes it may be better to switch schools but I know what you mean. I've been where you are at and I may want to change here in the next year or so. I want to start a family too and it seems like the salaries, especially in Colorado, won't allow that very well unless my significant other makes just as much or more than me. That means working extra jobs, doing extra coaching or student council, which adds a lot to the plate.
I hope that teaching becomes a better profession and salary. It's not up to par with rent/housing costs in many states. We knew we weren't going to get rich being teachers but I wish it payed more.
MathGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Paying teachers
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

less than other professional with the same amount of education is not acceptable. We are fools for letting them take advantage of us like this and work us to death. Our nation will have to make do without many teachers since we are all leaving in droves...the grass is greener...let's run for the hills
The heck with this!
Testyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught for 18 years. When I didn't enjoy it anymore I went to part time then chose a different career path. I now work in my public library and I love it. No more work stress!!!! Best thing I ever did!

danalea10 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathGuy1982

Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The library working environment sounds awesome! That's not a bad idea! I've heard of switching a district or school. I think this may be my last year at this school I work at. I may be moving to another state. Love many aspects of teaching high school but I'm not sure if I see myself doing this for another 20 years. I've gone 5 years teaching high school full time and teaching part time a community college for eight years.
MathGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

The money is better as an administrator but..
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

unless you work in a school of relatively high performing students, the pressure to get students on grade level will still be reflected on the administration. In my district, once the scores are released, our superintendent calls every administrator down to her office, and does a line by line analysis of student growth (or lack thereof more often) and has them explain/defend the results. Then our administrators get hammered with what they need to make us do...and well, you know the rest. They also love to play the switch the administrator every 2-3 years game just so no one gets to comfy in one school. One more thing, if you've worked in a classroom for 4-5 years be prepared to get accused of not really having a clue because you haven't been in the trenches long enough. I know these are awful scenarios, but they happen.

Until the national climate of education changes, it won't get any better. Unless you truly love it, consider leaving before your salary starts climbing to a place where you feel financially trapped.
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote