4 year olds writing - ProTeacher Community

andiebeer

4 year olds writing
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I encourage all of my students to "write" their name on their papers. I don't correct them because I haven't started introducing the alphabet yet, I just want them to get comfortable with the pencil. I have a few students who constantly tell me they can't, they don't know how (they are not comfortable with even holding a pencil yet.) I tell them I just want them to try. Is this wrong? Should I be actually helping them make the letter formation right, or just encourage them to become comfortable with pencil grip?

andiebeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

model
Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Provide them a with a sentence strip with their first name printed for them to copy. If you laminate the strip they can trace your printing with marker and then erase with a damp paper towel. You can also write their names with highlighter on their papers and let them trace that. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE teach them to use lower case letters except for the first letter. As a Kindergarten teacher I spend so much time reteaching kids how to write their names because they learn in all capital letters. Some children may also have an easier time using thin marker rather than pencil-it flows more smoothly. Are you using standard number 2 pencils-most OTs recommend not using the oversized Kindergarten pencils.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All excellent advice! I also used address labels and printed out the children's names on them. You can either use a dotted line font or make the font you prefer gray. We just put these on the back of their papers and they trace their names.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

aw

Handwriting
Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am trained in handwriting, and I agree you should not use fat pencils. However I do not suggest markers either. What I would suggest is either golf pencils or better yet crayons that are broken in half. The friction that they create is much better for fine motor development.

As for kids that have a difficult time even trying to write their name here is what I suggest. Write there name with a highlighter and then have them trace it. I don't suggest using dotted lines, because it doesn't foster fluid movement for letters rather students go from dot to dot.

As a former K teacher and now a prek teacher I disagree with teaching all student to write their name with a capital first letter and lowercase for the rest. It is a K objective, however it is much easier for prek students to write uppercase letters. In my current classroom I teach them to write their names in all capitals, but I also show them their name in lowercase on a regular basis so it is not foreign to them. By the end of the year I begin to make the transition to lowercase. This transition is usually very easy.

I would suggest looking into Handwriting Without Tears. This program is amazing. I can testify that it works! I used it in both my K and preK classes. It is a well rounded program that goes well with any literacy program.
aw is offline   Reply With Quote

vbubbles1874

Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I give the fat pencils to my lefties. I noticed that they have a harder time with muscle control then the righties. I write their name in highlighter and then have them trace it. As they get older I just give them a "copy" paper to use and they copy whatever I want them to write.
My son is in 1st grade and is having LOTS of penmanship issues. The local ISD is crazy like that. I have been working with my prek kids on penmanship since school started in August.

vbubbles1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
erinpaul

erinpaul

my 4 year old
Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Question:

Iis it normal for my four year old to write her letters small? She will also draw people small. She doesn't do this all the time, just occasionally. Any thoughts?