Help

Career Decisions

Help I need out now

>

teachmath2

Help I need out now
Old 09-11-2018, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have been teaching for sometime now and I don't get any enjoyment out of it. The endless paperwork, emails, lesson planning, and grading has me overwhelmed. I just want a job where I am done when I leave the building. I don't mind working 12 hours a day but I want to be done at the end and not think about it until the next day. On top of the day to day work I have issues with some of my classes in which makes me want to quit. What options are out there for teachers that want to leave the field? All input is welcomed. Thanks.

teachmath2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

out
Old 09-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are many options. Teachers have many marketable skills. There are websites on google that give advice on making a resume and including "teacher skills" in "business terms." I currently am a receptionist at a credit union, and really enjoy my job. I did take a cut in pay (not the principle income for our household), but have great benefits and a 401K. I have friends who now work for insurance companies, medical reception and clerical staff, corporate trainers, curriculum companies, etc.

I suggest you get on some local online job boards, watch for career fairs, and start revamping your resume to be more universal. There are many opportunities, but all will stretch your comfort level.

It is wonderful to leave work, knowing that I have nothing to take home. I am expected to take a full hour for lunch, and not allowed to work off the clock. All my supplies are provided... I loved teaching until the last few years, but don't miss it at all. Good luck!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Actuarial
Old 09-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are a math teacher, you may want to look into the actuarial field. I used to be an actuary before becoming a teacher (and before staying at home with my kids for several years too) and it was a good career to work in. Passing the first 1-2 tests before you look for a job would be beneficial. They are difficult tests-you need a strong math background.

The reason I didnít stay in actuarial is because I wasnít passionate about it and I wanted my summers off. There are plenty of people out there who have switched in both directions between math teaching and actuarial.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmath2

Education needed
Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was wondering if a masters degree is needed to go into the actuarial field or to take the test? Thanks.
teachmath2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

No masters needed
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At least when I was in the field, a Bachelorís in Math or Economics was good. You can take a test any time, but definitely do some research to make sure youíre ready. Theyíre expensive and have low passing rates! When I took them, the first test was Calculus and Statistics. The company I worked for gave raises with each test passed, gave bonuses for passing on the first try, paid for training materials and even going to test seminars, and gave something like 14 days off to study for the first try, 10 the second, etc.

MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

we have an opening in our actuarial dept.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm a department manager at the home office of an insurance company. We have an opening in our actuarial department right now. Our main requirement is a math degree. Of course, Excel is a necessity, too. I have texted a couple of friends who are high school math teachers to see if they are interested. Positions like this never open up at my company. The man who is leaving is a former HS math teacher who has been with the company for 21 years. He's been promoted to an executive position with another company we are affiliated with.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote