I have been moved to an incredibly competitive not so nice team - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

I have been moved to an incredibly competitive not so nice team

>

VAM

VAM

I have been moved to an incredibly competitive not so nice team
Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

They are always comparing their kidís data, their VAM and anything you can think of. And, of course, bragging about them. My VAM score this past year was not the best (based on state scores) but our data (growth scores) on the tests we take as diagnostics are really good. I know that at the end of the year (which is toooo far away) we will be getting a look at our grade level scores. One of my teammates does not want me on the team to begin with because of my scores, i am already feeling ďpressure to performĒ. Itís only been a couple of weeks since school started and they keep talking about how great their scores are, almost as if they are trying to rub it in my face. I donít know how Iím going to last the year with these people! I keep telling myself not to worry about it, that I know my kids learn and itís not always about the test. But itís hard when you have a team that constantly seems to make you feel bad.

JulieP

Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh sweet revenge. I would hit my "I'll show you up!" stance, and make it a challenge with your kids. "We are secretly competing with the other classes. Let's show them that WE are the best!"
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

If they're so awesome...
Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

maybe they should share their methods. Braggers generally need their egos stroked. Ask your admin if you can have some time to observe them because they are telling you how well their kids do. You'd love to "learn from them."

I do get sick of the mean girls clubs in education. Just grow up, already! Aren't educators supposed to be about building people up? It shouldn't stop at their students. One wonders, if they're doing this to you, what they do to their kids.

Every time they brag, ask a question about how they do it. "What lesson (or method) do you think most helps your students?" They'll either enjoy the attention or quit bragging so that they don't have to answer.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote