Common first-year teacher mistakes? (high school) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Common first-year teacher mistakes? (high school)

>

guest123

guest123

Common first-year teacher mistakes? (high school)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

What are common first-year-teacher mistakes to be aware of? And how do you avoid them?

Thank you.

guest123

guest123

more background
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry, should've included some more background on me. Years ago I taught for a year. Fairly young teacher. Made my share of first-year teacher mistakes. Thought, "never again!". Now reconsidering going back, but want to see if other teachers' first-year mistakes are the same as mine.

My biggest problems were: too many hours grading, and taking student misbehavior/apathy too personally.

Did I mention the mountains of grading? In that regard, I may have failed to seek out techniques to reduce the amount of grading.

Thanks.

lisa53

Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The most common one I have seen is failing to really recognize the immaturity of high school students. Many young student teachers think that they will fare well in high school because “students will relate to me because I am young.” High school kids look (and sometimes act) like young adults—but in fact they are still children in most respects. Their capacity for decision making and planning is limited. Many of them are surprisingly naive and innocent. So don’r think you can be their “friend”. You are an adult and they are children, despite outward appearances. My advice is to maintain your adult persona at all times and keep a professional attitude and distance from your students. I don’t mean being unfriendly, but rather not being too chummy, if you know what I mean.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
guest123

guest123

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, Lisa. I remember it feeling like a tricky balance to be able to use my sense of humor in class to help manage difficulties, while at the same time not letting students take advantage. I think I ended up bouncing between being too jocular and being too strict.