Help

Classroom Management

New Fourth Grade Teacher

>

Sophianna

New Fourth Grade Teacher
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a school counselor but previously I taught Kindergarten and last year I taught fifth. Though I am no longer a teacher, I am called upon often to help those that are struggling. The school in which I work has a teacher who is brand new to teaching assigned to the fourth grade class. He previously served for several years with his certification as a para and relocated to our city from about 800 miles away with his wife and young child for this position. Because of this, I think our leader feels somehow indebted to him. Anyway, I agree we need to offer assistance.

But here's the biggest problem. He speaks to every single student with disrespect. He has a "tone" and often sounds like he is being very rude and he is excessively loud. He has been told about this, but it hasn't changed. Students come to me often share very candidly how they feel about this teacher. The other teacher is an older lady and she is very strict, but kind. She never raises her voice but is firm and has high expectations. They departmentalize and it doesn't matter whose class is in his room, the room is in chaos. Today, four students (of only 16) were crying, one had stormed out, and several others were wearing scowls. I gave the teacher a five minute break and the students were upset and angry to the degree that it took them most of that time to calm down and relax and be quiet.

I don't know what to do! It's not technically my job to mentor him but he needs help and the kids need a teacher. I feel sick to my stomach when I think about it.

Any thoughts?

Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Make him watch some youtube vidoes:

Tyler Hester, Classroom management Day 1, day 2 and Day 3

CJ Reynolds, Real Rap with Reynolds

Laura Randazzo

They're all high school teachers, but they do a great job of explaining how to have high expectations AND good relationships with students. I think it can work for fourth graders. I use a lot of what I have seen from them in my second grade class. Tyler Hester's videos are especially helpful because it's video of him actually teaching students in the classroom.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How does a person get to be in charge of a classroom when only experience is an assistant? Anyway, before writing him off based on students' observations he needs his day in court. This should be a job for the principal or whoever is in charge of staffing and formal observations. Key thing to look for - "Is he trainable?". Some newbies want to be effective teachers but don't know how. Others possess traits that no amount of training will change.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The other post about watching videos makes me wonder if he has ever seen a video of himself? It might be eye-opening for him to watch his interactions with students.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sophianna

Great Idea
Old 09-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will see about recording him. Awesome thought!

Other replies: I think I first year teaching, none of us have had any experience. I was never an assistant prior to my first classroom, all I had done was student teaching. So that doesn't seem that abnormal to me. I was more concerned with the fact that he had been an assistant for several years after receiving his certification without getting a teaching job.

Also, I 100% agree that it is not my job to be doing these observations, but the first day of school the principal tore her meniscus and since then has been confined to the basement floor because we are a very old building and have no accessible access to the second and third floor. The second-in-command is out with back related issues, the third in command is also doing some observations, but she is a school psychologist, and has never been a classroom teacher. So in the hierarchy of the school, I am the 4th string but have a successful track record in the classroom.

Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

ceceteaches

Sophianna....
Old 09-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you talked with your Principal, or Asst.P? Is there no one that is aware of this teacher's methods? Seems like you should be chosen to act per the P's instructions or something...? Hopefully, this teacher will not be allowed to continue in this manner any longer! My heart goes out to the kids who are suffering with this teacher
ceceteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am experienced, qualified, passionate, and dedicated to what I do. I treat children with love and respect and I honor their strengths, weaknesses, character...................And yet I cannot even get an interview where I live! So it kills me to see and hear about teachers like this!
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote