Help

BusyBoard

line order

>

roo

line order
Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We got a memo that several changes are going to be put in place to strengthen our PBIS system. One thing is that, whenever students are going anywhere in the building, they are expected to be in a certain line order. This can be alphabetical or whatever we choose, but every student has a particular spot.
Does anyone else do this in upper elementary? Our 4th graders transition to other classes several times a day, and students are often ready to go (supplies, etc.) at a different pace. So if the kid that dawdles isn't ready, we can't move the line? I just don't get the point of having assigned spots in line. Am I missing something here?
If you do have assigned spots in line, do you do it alphabetically or in some other way?

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Line order
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach middle school special ed, but I still do line order. I use a visual with names currently, but have used pictures for younger kids.

I make it random instead of the same order day after day as it keeps kids from perserverating or trying to be manipulative.

It helps separate kids who can't be together.

As for the dawdlers, I set a timer before transitions and give warnings (5 minutes, 1 minute, etc.).

Being the line leader often spurs the dawdlers to hurry up.

If you can, I would also suggest starting to move the line without the dawdlers. Sometimes realizing they aren't getting attention or extra prompts for being last speeds them up too.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

First thoughts
Old 10-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first thought is that line order might eliminate some behavior problems if the teacher separates "frequent fliers".

BUT...it sounds like it would add more management issues like, "ms. Roo, soandso won't line up where is she is supposed to be".

Hopefully others will chime in who have done this.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’m doing line order (in 5th) for the first time. I LOVE it.

It eliminates all the negative behaviors associated with lining up. They know who they stand behind and in front of and they go to that spot. No arguing, pushing, racing to be first or dawdling to be last.

I do alphabetical just because I also number them, so for firedrills, I just have to scan down the line and see which number is missing and I know within 2-3 seconds if I’m missing anyone. No need to break the silence with verbal roll call.

If you still have dawdlers, I’d make them join the line unprepared after a reasonable time. If it’s ckeaning up their atea, they can do it at recess. If it’s collecting materials, so sad you’re not prepared for the next class, guess you get whatever consequence there is for that. (And yes, consequences are essential to PBIS working!! They have to be logical.)
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I put them in line order alphabetically, I'd hate to be the kids who are always last (esp. to lunch, recess or restrooms). I'm thinking I could put them in order alphabetically (they have class #s to match this already) but then change it up based on what day of the month it is. If it's November 1, # 1 is first, but on Nov. 2, #1 goes to the end of the line and #2 is first, on Nov. 8, #8 is first.
That way, they always know who they should be by but their position in line moves. Does that seem more fair?

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-13-2018, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
they always know who they should be by but their position in line moves. Does that seem more fair?
I suppose you could do that. I sometimes do ďline order starting from whoever gets ready firstĒ when weíre going somewhere that order makes a difference, but my class is small enough that order mostly doesnít matter.

bookbadger

Number order
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Your solution sounds fair. What to do on the days without a coordinating kid's number...ie. 26-31? How many kids do you have?

Could they be in number order according to the line leader's number? Ie. If the line leader is #17 then the next kids line up and # 1 lines up after kid #25... somewhere in the middle for that day or week etc. This would work if you choose a line leader weekly or daily.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Line order makes my life easier with middle school, too.

Currently we are lining up with our table groups.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Line Order
Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In first grade I call it "Number Order". The kids each have a number to match their spot in ABC order. Student number one is the line leader on the first day of school. Then on the second day he/she moves to the back of the line and the next student is the line leader. They just keep rotating every day so that everyone has equal turns being the line leader. By now, they all have their numbers memorized and will even count ahead to see when it is their turn to be line leader. This completely eliminated fighting over where to stand, rushing to line up first, etc. There have only been a few occasions in the past where kids didn't get along/misbehaved and I had to switch someone's spot.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iíve taught 3rd-5th and Iíve always done line order by number. It makes my life so much easier. If kids are slow lining up they just get in their spot. It solves problems of kids arguing in line, budging, etc. Incant imagine NOT having line order.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Iíve done line order before. Whoever is first goes to the back of the line the next day or the following week. Then everyone moves up a spot and has a chance to be first.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is a new requirement at my school this year. I can see how it would solve several issues. I will say that for our IEPs, we're required to include student input and one of the questions I've always asked kids is what the hardest part of school for them is. I've had 2 young kids this year tell me "lining up" because they can't remember where their spot is. Kind of sad that they can't even feel successful lining up!

When it was introduced at the beginning of the year, I understood it to be just a requirement for classroom teachers. We have a reading intervention block and math intervention block for each grade level that I have to participate in, and I've noticed a lot of the other teachers requiring their kids to have a line order for those groups as well.

I've been debating if I want to start that with our next intervention cycle which starts this week. It seems to take up unnecessary time (my group is always walking to my room while the others are still getting in their line order) and it seems kind of ridiculous to have especially the K and 1 students remembering 3-4 different line orders for the day. On the other hand, I don't want to be the only one who is not doing it or accused of not following the school policies . I have one group that does have a line order because they can't keep their hands off of each other otherwise. My other groups are fine.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
seems kind of ridiculous to have especially the K and 1 students remembering 3-4 different line orders for the day.
Our specials teachers tell the students to line up in the line order of the classroom teacher, so they only have to remember one order.

Haley23

Old 10-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Our specials teachers tell the students to line up in the line order of the classroom teacher, so they only have to remember one order.
So do ours, but that's not what I'm talking about. There is a separate reading intervention block and a separate math intervention block every day. Students are placed into different small groups depending on need, from all of the different classrooms. You might have two students from classroom A, three students from classroom B, and another student from classroom C. It's not the same small group for math and reading, and my neediest kids also see me in a smaller 3rd group outside of those blocks a few days per week.

So they would need to remember their classroom line order, their reading intervention line order, their math intervention line order at minimum, and the lowest kids would have a fourth line up in their separate group with me. Some kids also go to speech or counseling groups. If they all start doing line orders too, that's even more.

The intervention block groups also change every 4-6 weeks, so it's also not something that just takes some effort putting in place at the beginning of the year and then you can do the same thing all year long. You'd have to start over every new cycle.

readandweep

Hayley
Old 10-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I taught elementary resource and pulled groups, I would just verbally put the kids in a line order each day and reward them for staying in line.

I also put a line up order on the back of clip board for longer walks or kids that needed the visual. I laminated a chart with packing tape and wrote the names with dry erase makers.

Either I walked backwards or stopped and checked the order a couple of times in the beginning.

If a kid was refusing to come with the group, I usually made the one who came quickest the line leader.

That makes me sad that lining up is hard for some kids.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My point was more that my kids don't really have a hard time walking in line as it is (other than the group that I already do make a line order for). We have really strict hallway expectations and I do already enforce those with my groups.

I'm usually in my room teaching by the time the other groups are leaving the grade level pod after getting their kids all lined up, because I just go as soon as my kids are all out there.

I can definitely see how it would benefit a classroom, but seems kind of silly to me for most small groups. The only reason I'm considering it is because all of the intervention teachers are doing it and I don't want to be accused of being the only one who doesn't.

Zia

Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have two letters side by side taped to the floor, so AB, then CD, then EF, etc. It makes my line half as long. Kids know which letter to stand on and with whom they stand next to, behind etc. It makes my life easier. It also removes the race to be first. I use these pairings for partner work, too.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 10-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I teach a 4th/5th grade class and have a line order. I hang up names by the door, using velcro dots. On Fridays before I leave the leader goes to the end and everyone moves up a spot. Always the same order but it just shifts weekly. Also, allows me to move kids around if two that simply can't get along get next to each other. Has saved me so many problems because I swear, all of my students seen to have problems with wanting to be first.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Haley
Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

If your kids are getting where they need to be without problems, the. I wouldnít change it. My experience is that if Iím not causing problems for anyone, they donít even notice what Iím doing to comment on it.

smithf1

Line order
Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My students have assigned numbers also. They line
up everywhere in order including leaving specials. It rotates daily, the person who was first becomes last. This has been working very well.
smithf1 is online now   Reply With Quote

cathy1206

Line order
Old 10-13-2018, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Although I currently do not use line order, I have in the past when I had students who could not make good choices about who they walk by in the hall. One year I had physical altercations between students when other teachers would bring them back from rotation, lunch etc. It worked for that group. I lined them up boy girl boy girl. Sometimes I would allow them to make choices but when it did not work all I had to say was line order And they instantly knew where to stand. This year I have not had to implement it yet. My group this year seems more compassionate. They even dislike hearing the word cut or cutting and are more likely to let someone merge because ďwe are all going to the same place at the same time.Ē
cathy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

4th grade here and I do line order. I assigned the students random places trying to keep those more needy, attention getting students apart. Each day the student who was line leader the day before moves to the back. We keep track with a poster hanging near the door and each day I move the marker down the list to indicate the new leader. The students know this order and are expected to be in it every time they line up. At the start of each new quarter I change the order to allow the kids to be by different people. Usually by the end if the first day they have the new order down. Makes transitions and lining up so much easier without the argument or temptation to budge or run to get in line.

And we have a set time and if a student isnt in line we leave without them. They catch on pretty quick because most don't like being left behind.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

line order
Old 10-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I put mine in number (alphabetical) order mainly because I get tired of them running to get in line and then hearing of everyone "cutting" in line. Much easier to line them up in number order.

One less battle to fight.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

so sad
Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Quote:
If itís collecting materials, so sad youíre not prepared for the next class
hahaha.. so sad.. I don't know why that cracks me up every time. Love it!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 10-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I used line order in 5th grade. It prevented a lot of problems. At the end of the week, the leader moved to the end of the line, and the next student was the leader for the following week. Occasionally I had to move students permanently because they didn't get along, but that was the exception.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

What makes sense...
Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We tend to use "bus line order," particularly with the littles, up to fourth grade. It's efficient and somewhat logical at the end of the day and readily adapts to other travels including fire drills. It definitely makes dismissal easier, although there's some variation in the order because three kids may go on the same bus, etc. Fourth and above there's less structure unless the teacher expects it (which is possible under certain conditions such as fire drills). When we start demanding structure on everything I start wondering why... we aren't running military schools.

Not trying to hijack the thread... but where is the teacher in all of this? If I have a responsible line leader, I like to lead from the back of the line -- or drift back and forth. I once did a presentation on "leading from the back of the line."
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Line order
Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Line order is extremely helpful in the "rougher" elementary school. The kids don't try to be first in line, pushing and shoving, esp when lining up for recess.. No one complains of ditching/cutting the line. I do it by first name so it's easy for me to see if they're in order. But I do move some if they would do better in a different spot. The kids get used to the person they stand next to. People can't try and stand next to their friends. It eliminates the prob of the one kid no one will stand next to for whatever reason. Line order solves a lot of problems.
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I do line order.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

It works great. No fighting over who is first, etc. My is basically alpha order, set at the beginning of the year. If students leave the school, their number is reassigned to a new student entering my class. So it gets out of strict alpha order.
We transition quite a bit, and it's never been an issue. We don't line up until everyone is ready. No matter what kind of line order we use we can't move the line until everyone is ready anyway. I can't have a class in the hall without supervision, nor can I leave a student in my classroom unsupervised. I'm not sure why a dawdling kid would be an issue.
I've tried lining up different ways, and this is the easiest and most trouble-free way I've found.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

This is a sore spot for me We are required to do this school-wide. I think it is horrible. One, it feels like we're escorting prisoners through the halls. My big issue, though, is that it is all about control. Keep them contained instead of teaching them how to walk in line and wait their turn and not cut.
I really, really have issues with policies and procedures that are put in place to eliminate situations instead of taking the time to teach and expect students to behave like polite, responsible citizens.

To answer your question, though, we line up in alphabetical order by 1st name. Each week the 1st person moves to the back.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy1206

Line order
Old 10-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I have watched videos and read articles about school in Finland. Students are taught ho w to walk in the halls and how to go,places unescorted. I agree with you Icrazy. Our school has a level zero talking in our hallway. It is like soldiers instead of children.
cathy1206 is offline   Reply With Quote