Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Grade weights

>

mrteacherguy

Grade weights
Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

During the first quarter of the year, I had class participation as 50%, assessments (quizzes and tests) as 35%, and homework as 15%.

After looking back at the first quarter grades and the way Iím teaching and assessing, I want to change the weights some, but Iím not sure to what extent. I donít classwork or homework for right or wrong, just honest effort. The only things I am looking at for real work and right/wrong answers are the quizzes and tests.

I am torn between making it 50% assessments, 30% classwork, and 20% homework. Or 70% assessments, 20% classwork, and 10% homework.

Thoughts or suggestions?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Depends on the class
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used all sorts of grading schemes. Iíve taught in schools that required at least 80% of the grade comes from assessments. Some would argue that grades should be 100% assessment, but I just donít think thatís feasible.

Right now, my Honors Algebra 2 has 75% assessments, 20% HW, 5% participation, but my (lower-level) Algebra 1 has 50% assessments and then chunks for HW/CW and computer work. I find that having the higher % for work in the lower level is needed to encourage the students to do their class work and HW. I run my computer classes as 60% projects, 20% tests, and 20% participation.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

weight in gold
Old 10-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you consulted with your department? I don't see anything the matter with your weighting especially in the middle school level. I'm not sure by your category on participation but I'm thinking that this must be for group activities, projects, warm-up's, exit slips, etc... If you're using the 70-20-10, this might be good for students in a gifted/enriched class. I like the 50-30-20 on average.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

My district
Old 10-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Middle and high school have the same weights: 80% Summative Assessments (tests, some quizzes, presentations, final essays/research, projects, etc.) and 20% Formative assessments (classwork, homework, bellwork, exit slips, participations, etc.) The students do seem to work harder, because so much of their grades depends on Summative Assessments.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote