need western day activities - ProTeacher Community

jks

need western day activities
Old 10-21-2007, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In lieu of Halloween, my school is having "western day" celebration on Friday. The students are allowed to dress country-western, and I plan on using candy corn for a math game. I'm sure there are a lot more ideas that you can share!! This is my first year in fourth grade, so I need something that will appeal to older kids. Thanks.

jks is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Write and illustrate a western short story or read a western and draw a picture in response. I have also shown a picture and had my students write a story about it. Can you tell that I used to teach writing? !

We had a western day when I taught 4th. It was a lot of fun!
We wrote a song to the tune of "Good Ole Boys" and sang it for the school, every class did something.

Maybe you can make beef jerky using a food dehydrator for science.

Compare and contrast schools and kids lives between now and then for social studies.

I'm sure others will have some great ideas. Have fun!
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

scarecrow glyphs
Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you do a google search for scarecrow glyphs you will find several. One should be appropriate for your age level.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is a cute cowboy glyph on this link that you could do with the kids. I think the 4th graders would love it. It's a fun way to do data analysis and incorporate art.

http://www.talentedkidzone.com/crafts/texas.html
donna is offline   Reply With Quote

heddyb65

Yee-haw!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have Western Day in September every year because our school mascot is the Mustang. We like to read or watch Meanwhile Back at the Ranch. It's a Reading Rainbow story. I'm also attaching a link to activities to go with the story. You could probably Google lots more.

Have a fun time!

http://pbskids.org/readingrainbow/pa...ivity_044.html

heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

heddyb65

Bandanas
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We also make our own bandanas to reinforce patterning with our kids. They get a plain white handkerchief and use fabric paint and stamps to create lines of patterns. Then they get to wear their bandana around their neck.
heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy24

Wagon trail travel
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We used to do an activity that had kids taking things in a wagon to go across the plains. They could only carry so many pounds so they had to choose wisely. They made their list and then they had to explain why they chose that item. Each student then took their list to a small group to decide as a small group what they should take from the individual lists and then from the small group lists we had to debate over what things were important enough to take as a whole class. It was fun.

Another thing we did was the Pony Express with a twist. Our class wrote a letter to another class and then sent it by messenger. The other class would then write us a letter and then send it back. We did it the whole day. I think we actually wrote about five letters a piece to each other.
Judy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

How about....
Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I took their pictures wearing a bandana and cowboy hat and they made wanted posters in the computer lab. They got to make up outrageous outlaw names and then add a few sentences about why they were "Wanted". For example: stealing bases at recess, tardy, holding up the stop sign (crossing guard) etc.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read a Fractured Fairy Tale
Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

that has a western flair. My favorite is Bubba the Cowboy Prince: A fractured Texas Tale by Helen Kettleman. It is also a gender reversal, where the Cinderella character is a male (cowboy) and the Prince is the female (ranch owner). It is really cute. I used it with fourth graders when I taught that level.

If you can not find that one try The Cowboy and the Blackeyed Pea by Tony Johnston. It is also good.

Maybe your kids could do some real cowboy cooking. They could make beans in a crockpot or mix up cornbread that the lunchroom ladies would bake for you.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote