Help

Future Teachers

Questions from a hopeful teacher

>

mrfutureteach

Questions from a hopeful teacher
Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A bit of context: Currently a fifth year early college student, and will have 63 (I think) transferable credits at graduation. I'll most likely be an elementary education major in this program (https://elemed.appstate.edu/undergraduate), though admissions decisions have yet to be released, so I'll have a definite answer sometime in December.

Firstly, what is meant when colleges say that their teacher education programs are four years long? While I was browsing colleges most of them were pretty transparent in making it obvious that their teacher program is intended to be completed within that time frame. The program I linked above doesn't specifically state that—at least, I didn't see it. In general, are pedagogy courses sprinkled throughout the four years, or only within the last two? From what I've read, the first two years are designed to cover your general education courses and allow students a bit of leeway to find a major and commit to it.

My second question is tied to the first in that if it will truly only take me two years to finish the program and get licensure, I'll be 21 by the time I get in the classroom. I know everyone starts out sometime, but to me, that just seems incredibly young compared to the age my elementary school teachers were—early 30s-50s. Are there age requirements for when an individual can begin teaching? I searched NCDPI but couldn't find anything on it.

mrfutureteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

I am a little confused...
Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you saying that you are a 5th year college student and that you are 19? I am probably missing something...

I had a bachelors in economics and had worked in another field before deciding to teach. So when I wanted to get certified I chose an MEd program that took less than 2 years to complete. We started in a summer, took classes for the full year and through the next summer, then did student teaching in the fall and graduated.

There were students in the program who did both bachelors and masters at the same school. It took them 5.5 years total (4 for the bachelors).

I should mention that I teach secondary, not elementary. It is hard to find secondary education programs that don’t require a masters for certification around me.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

mrfutureteach

Re: I am a little confused...
Old 11-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The verbiage was a bit confusing—sorry about that. I am 18, born in December. When I start school next fall, I'll be 19, and 21 at the beginning of my first school year in the classroom should all go accordingly.

An early college is a small public high school that allows students to earn their HS diploma and an AA/AS by taking college courses at no charge. The program is intended to be completed in five years (hence fifth year), though some opt in for the summer semesters to finish in four years.
mrfutureteach is offline   Reply With Quote