First Grade

first grade

>

newteach00000

newteach00000

first grade
Old 11-17-2018, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A couple questions as a new first grade teacher...please help!

1. Fridays I administer their weekly reading test and it's only 10 questions with 3 multiple choice questions. I'm pulling my hair out administering this...some cant read a certain word, some are rushing ahead, some are not even looking at their test! Frustrating. How do you do it?

2. First grade boys-I have 4 boys who love to touch each other and play fight. The moment there is an unstructured moment of time they have their hands on each other. They seem to love the physicality of fighting??? Help!

3. Students who just announce out and shout out constantly. Some of them seem to just announce what's on their mind out loud whatever is on their mind or if they have a problem.
I would love a class where everyone just talked to each other nicely and problem solved. Instead right now there are some students who the moment they are within 2 feet of each other they are tattling loudly.

4. The line! I've done everything to get my line to be quiet and they are capable at times but in general I haven't been able to find the magic formula. Can anyone please share what really will work? It seems like anything cute I use doesn't work such as pretending to play the quiet game or anything like that.

THANK YOU!!!

Gigi814

Old 11-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. I'm assuming the weekly test is a comprehension test and not a running record. I always did comprehension tests in their leveled groups and not whole class. This allowed me to help with reading words and I was able to make sure nobody was rushing.

2. You're probably already doing this, but have those students sitting as far away from each other as possible. I would probably contact their parents and let them know their son is always out of his seat and trying to play fight during class time. Maybe you could even create a weekly chart for each boy and mark down if he was out of his seat each day. Parents could reward their son at the end of the week if he did well and did not play fight. If parents aren't on board, you could somehow reward the boys at school.

3. I saw an idea online (I have not personally used it) of drawing a jar on your board and then putting magnetic shapes inside. Every time someone blurts out, you remove one of the shapes from the jar. Once the jar is empty, there is a consequence. I also saw another version of this for individual students. The teacher taped the word blurt to the desk. Every time the student shouted out she crossed off a letter. The student received two stickers if none of their letters were crossed off and one sticker if only some letters were crossed off. Each morning the student would start over with all of the letters.
I have always used a tattle hand in my classroom. I actually learned about it here on PT years ago. I used a hand outline and typed the words bleeding, fire, sick, stranger, and fighting (as in physical fighting) on each finger. I tell students if it's not on the hand, I don't need to know. If a student starts to tattle I will ask them, "Is it on the hand?" Nine times out of ten they will say no and walk away.

4. I had the same problem with my line when I taught first grade. The only thing that seemed to work was using the game of KerPlunk. I told them if they were quiet in line they would be able to pull out some sticks when we returned to the classroom. They knew when the marbles fell they would earn a reward, so they were very eager to pull those sticks out.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 11-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Some years I have to put my class in a line order. I assign them a spot in line.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote