Help

Special Education

Caseload, ratio, etc.

>

Drowning1234

Caseload, ratio, etc.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to preempt this with Iím honestly curious and want to know if this is the norm. I know itís going to sound like Iím whining, but Iím really just asking opinions and personal experiences. So, please donít brand me as a whiner.

I graduated last year, got married, and relocated. I was able to find a position near the town we moved to. Iím in a PreK-3 building. I have 33 kids on my caseload, and I see 28 of them a day. The others are monitoring.

Five of those kids are with me 75% of the day, and the others are with me for blocks of 30 minutes. Thereís me and a part time aide.

Iím drowning, henceforth my username. Is this the norm???? Because if it is, I need another career option.

Drowning1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems high and at the least on the very upper range of a caseload around here. I had 29 middle schoolers for co teaching blocks and it was really hard to stay on top of everything. I can't imagine that many little ones!

Why do you have 5 for 75% of the day? Are they really high needs?
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Whew!
Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That seems like a lot to me. Are you the only special Ed teacher? I am blessed to have others to share the load so our case management is never more than 25 per teacher.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Drowning1234

Old 11-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, they are ID and/or autistic.

Drowning1234

Old 11-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Only me. I have an aide who comes in the afternoon.

ElemSped13

Old 11-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are the ID/autistic mild or more severe? How independent and verbal are they?

It you have them that long,it almost sounds like you are running 2 programs. Resource and alternate curriculum. Alternate here is 5-10 kids with probably 2 aides.

Haley23

Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the districts I've worked in, the kids who are spending 75% of their day with you would be in a different program, with a much smaller teacher to student ratio. Do you not have programs like that in your district? Like the pp, I'm wondering how independent those kids are. I'd be looking at referring them to a more appropriate placement or lessening the time on their IEPs if they're not really that needy.

I teach resource. I currently officially have something like 25 on my caseload, but my school does everything in intervention blocks and I have to take gen ed kids in my groups too (and sometimes "my" identified kids end up in different groups). I see about 30 kids in 9 different groups over the course of the day. Some kids come for just reading or just math and some kids come for both. My neediest student spends an hour and 15 minutes with me per day- a 45 minute reading group plus a 30 minute math group.

Many years ago, I was the only sped teacher in the building and had almost 50 kids K-6. There are no caseload limits in my state. Each grade level had a 45 minute block and all of the kids who had IEPs in that grade level would come to me for that block, regardless of what their needs were. That was a nightmare!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Drowning1234

Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

ElemSped 13: Stupid question alert...what exactly is alternate curriculum? My most severe kiddo is non-verbal autistic. The other ones who are with me that long, I honestly donít know why. They go places alone-like to the library; need absolutely no self-care assistance; most of them get along with their peers consistently. I mean, Iím not taking away from the fact they are about 2 grade levels behind, Iím just saying thereís a big difference between those kiddos and my other 75% student.

Haley 23: Holy, crap! Fifty kids???!!
We donít have separate programs in my district. We have me, a middle school sped teacher, and a high sped teacher.

Iím not so certain these kids are placed correctly, with the exception of my non-verbal autistic. However, the former sped teacher wrote last yearís IEPs for what she thought theyíd need this year. So, IDK.

ElemSped13

Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Alternate Curriculum in our district is life skills. Those teachers have a very small caseload and usually at least 1 FT aide. Severe disabilities, kids who aren't verbal, very low IQ (under 60), etc.

It sounds like you have 4 who need to be moved to fewer hours and 1 who is really not in the best placement but the only option where you are. Are there other schools in your area at all?

Most of my co-taught kids are at least 2 grades behind. Do you have any flexibility in your schedule? I'd try to group kids by instructional levels if you can and streamline things for your sanity. Do the same vocab activity but adjust words for kids, same topic for comprehension, etc.

If you want to share what your day looks like, we might be able give some more specific suggestions.

Peacenik74

Life preserver
Old 11-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Dear Drowning,
Where I teach there are 2 other resource teacher, with one assistant. We each have 15 on our caseload. I also provide inclusion with general education in the mix. We have two amazing Life Skills teachers with a total of 5 assistant teachers and very high need students.
It is not uncommon for one teacher to have 25 on a caseload, but that is driven by economic activity and enrollment.
I imagine you are working with a small district and working very hard.
I hope you can sort out the best placement for all the students.
Winter break is around the corner, hang in there.

Peacenik74 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 12-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We usually have 12-14 kids on our caseloads and do resource and some Coteaching
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote