Help

ARCHIVE

Direction Following Paper

>

A_Lion

Direction Following Paper
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know where to find a paper on direction following. I remember doing something years ago when I was in school that was a "test" to see how well you followed directions. It was a numbered list of things to do. The first thing said something about reading the entire page before doing anything. The rest were silly things like poking holes in your paper, clapping, stomping, and saying stuff out loud. This continued onto the back. Last item said something like "if you have read all of the directions put your name on the paper and turn it in". The jist of it was that you didn't have to do anything at all...if you read the directions properly.

I know it was a worksheet that was copied from a book. I could make my own up...but I was hoping that maybe someone knew the book it was from and it had other good things in it.

A_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote

Jacky5

Following Directions Test
Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I give this to my students each year. The test I have is below.
-Jacky5

Following Directions Test

1. Read everything before doing anything.
2. Put your name in the upper right hand corner of this paper.
3. Circle the word “name” in sentence two.
4. Draw five small squares in the upper left hand corner of this paper.
5. Put an “X” in each square.
6. Sign your name under the title.
7. Put a circle around each square.
8. After the title, write “yes, yes, yes”.
9. Put a circle around each word in sentence seven.
10. Put an “X” in the lower left hand corner.
11. Draw a triangle around the “X”.
12. On the reverse side of this paper, multiply 7X2.
13. Call out your first name when you get to this point of the test.
14. If you think you have followed directions up to this point, call out, “I have”.
15. On the reverse side of this paper, add 48 and 49.
16. Count out loud in your normal speaking voice backwards from ten to one.
17. In your normal speaking voice, say, “I’m finished”.
18. Now that you have finished reading carefully, do only sentences one and two.
Jacky5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

HaHa
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just love that. I think I'm going to have to use it. My 5th graders are horrible with directions.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

I love it!!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had something similar to this and used it one year. I used it as a classwork grade and a parent flipped out!!! I'm sorry, but part of learning is following directions and we had done activities on the importance of this skill for 2 weeks. Principal backed me and grade stood. I think parent just couldn't face the fact that Johnny was poor at this skill. He still struggles with this skill 5 years later!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHERLVNV

Ok I did this yesterday with my class.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ok I did this yesterday with my class. Only 3 students out of 24 passed. I have a class full of egos... big egos. Can you say shocked students?

TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Interesting
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a feeling that all my kids would fail!!! It would be interesting to wait about a month and do another one to see if the kids learn their lesson.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
kgorsage

kgorsage

5th grade teacher
Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am doing this tomorrow! I teach at a school for bright and gifted and they are not known for following directions. . .seemingly EVER! Thanks!

GraceK

Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks Jacky5! I just printed it out to give to my students! My 5th graders are not so great at direction-following either!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

A_Lion

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for posting that. It is exactly what I'm looking for. We'll see how well they pay attention to directions.
A_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Jacky5
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love it!!
This year direction following has been a HUGE issue! They are doing this first thing Monday! Thanks
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

Follow Directions worksheet
Old 10-26-2007, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I used a page from a Mailbox magazine like this last year. I think it was connected to Flag Day. It had a list of directions and then at the end it said to do only the even numbered ones. One of the odd number ones was to cut it out...the kid (with parents I couldn't do anything right for) cut it out!
If you are interested in a copy, send me you email address and maybe I can be more specific in how to find it.
reiter.julia@cck12.org
Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymarie81

Snickers bars
Old 10-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I remember my second grade teacher giving my class this test, or at least something similar. I, of course, was much like the others and didn't read the entire thing through the first time. The thing that I do remember the most though is that she gave SNICKERS bars to those students who "followed the directions". From then on, I learned my lesson! I was so mad at myself, because I could have gotten my hands on one of those SNICKERS bars, had I read the directions!!!!
ashleymarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

Snickers bar
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I like the idea of getting the Snickers if the directions were read and followed correctly. I hope you don't mind, ashleymarie81, but I am going to add that to my test giving next time.
Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelly

gave test yesterday
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Okay, I gave this to my class yesterday. I had predicted that 3 out of 26 would pass but they all failed! Even my gifted student that I was sure would catch on - YIKES!

On a more positive note, we had a great discussion about the importance of following directions and that this is a skill that really needs to be improved in our classroom.

I think I will do it again in a few months but I will change it up a bit and I will also move the last instruction up a bit in the order of the questions so that they don't just read the last one and figure it out right away.
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynetteapo

trick or treat
Old 10-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had done something similar after the students were in school 2-3 weeks. I think only 1-2 passed then. After reading this thread, I decided to do it again today. I posed it as a quiz to the students since it's also the end of the quarter. I had questions that they had learned this quarter. Drawing 6 boxes and putting 8 x's in each box to figure out 6 x8. Draw a scalene triangle on the back (had been discussed during calendar math). Underline all the nouns. Circle all the punctuation marks. Etc. Then I walked around and took notes of who passed and who didn't. Many students tried to erase their work when they saw the end - ha! like i wouldn't notice? Anyway, 6 passed, 12 didn't. So I said that the 12 that didn't follow directions were 'tricked' and the other 6 got a 'treat'. A perfect Halloween/ end-of-quarter activity! One girl said that she remembered doing this before. Duh! They had all done it 8 weeks ago! Such fun for me! I'm looking forward to doing this again next quarter.
Lynetteapo is offline   Reply With Quote

nn99

Copy
Old 11-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'd love a copy - nneubauer@cusd16.k12.il.us
Thanks!
nn99 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I gave it yesterday--- out of 12 kids, 2 of them actually read the entire thing first, but then went ahead and did everything any way. The rest just read and did the items one by one. So they all failed. One kid called it the stupid test, some kids thought it was a lot of fun, but most of them were not happy they flunked it. It is definintely what I expected, but I am sorry it happened that way!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPo

A direction-following lesson
Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I gave my 5th graders a sheet of directions to make an owl out of paper plates (a first grade type craft) that I got from EnchantedLearing.com. I gave them the written directions and provided the necessary materials. I told them I would not help except to tell them words they might not understand in the directions. They could work with friends and talk amongst themselves. What a hoot!!!!

Fifth graders do not like to read and follow directions. They do not think they can figure it out. They took about an hour and created a variety of silly owls. I pinned them up on the bulletin board.

The next day I gave out score sheets. I had cut the instructions into ten parts and glued them to a paper. Next to each one I wrote "yes no." I put sticky note numbers on the owls. I put corresponding numbers on the score sheets.

As a class we discussed the difference between creating a cute or artistic owl and exactly following the directions. We talked about subjective versus objective scoring. I modeled with my own owl. Then I passed out one score sheet with a number to each child. Unless the number was for their own owl, they then had to score whether or not each instruction was followed. We then graphed the results with bar graphs. The median score was 70% of the instructions were followed. We also graphed to determine which instructions were the most misunderstood.

Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun, too!
MrsPo is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Owl idea as next step...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

MrsPo - I like the owl idea as a next step! I'm going to look for it on enchanted Learning - Thanks

I gave the "Test" yesterday to my homeroom. (In fact, all 4 - 4th grade classes did it at the same time. We rotate kids so we were then able to apply it in our various groups.) What an eye-opener to my students. 7 of 32 passed it; about 4 got to the bottom and started erasing - so I collected their papers; and several never did "catch on", announcing "I'm finished" when they got to the bottom and then didn't read the last line! Most of the others got to the bottom and were obviously awar they had blown it...

We too had a discussion about the impotance of following directions - both oral and written. The test really drove the point home. I commented it was very typical for people to start in the minute they got a paper without fully reading the entire thing - made those that "failed" feel a little better. Later in the day, when directions were obviously not followed by a student, I gently reminded them of the test. I'm anxious to see if I'm going to see some differences next week. I think I'm going to try some quick, oral, "direction following type exercises periodically as little warm-ups in my groups.

sdgirl

Question
Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Just curious - what/how much do you tell your kids before they turn their papers over and begin?
sdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Told students...
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

"You may begin as soon as you get your paper." (Mine always ask that...) I did not say anything about it being a test - I put that at the top of the paper - nor did I say read carefully - didn't want to give them any hints

camp823

book
Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

There is a book called "Play by the Rules" by Tin Man Press that has several of these following direction activities in them. I use it quite often.
camp823 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoda

another sheet
Old 11-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I have another sheet at school on following directions that's similar to the one posted already. I'll have to scan it and attach on Monday because it's at school.
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote