Parts of Speech - ProTeacher Community

tchrmom

Parts of Speech
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for hands-on activities for teaching parts of speech - specifically nouns and verbs. Also, anyone have an opinion about Scholastic's new online subscription activity - Printables?

tchrmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NonosMom

Old 10-22-2007, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do an activity using newspapers/magazines. I have students write a story or several sentences and go through a newspaper/magazine to cut out their nouns/verbs to use in their story this way they can visually see the nouns/verbs. It's fun for the kids b/c it really makes them ask is it a person/place/thing/action/etc.

No opinion about the scholastic thing, though.
NonosMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher Mom

from one teachermom to another
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For nouns, I give the students a large 16x18 piece of paper. They fold it into thirds and label each section: person, place, thing. Using old magazines they cut out pictures and glue them in the correct category. This can be tricky for sum and they have to decide where to place the picture. For example a house would be a thing but it could be a place (home).

I do the same for verbs especially action verbs except they have to identify the verb such as running, jumping, sitting, etc. by writng the word beside their picture.

Hope this helps. My kids always like to cut and paste.
Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote