Help

Classroom Management

No more flipping cards!

>

teacherwannab

No more flipping cards!
Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all! So, now that Iím done with student teaching and getting ready for my own classroom, I have lots of decisions to make. When I think about behavior management I think of moving cards or moving clips. I hate all of that. What are some other ideas? I love unique things! But I truly dislike moving clips and flipping cards! I need some awesome ideas! Thank you all!

teacherwannab is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-30-2018, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I dislike those as well! I have trouble with consistency and fairness in application.

What ends up working will depend on the kids you end up with - their age and what their out-of-school lives are like.

But I think it starts with routines. Front-end your classroom management system with predictability, and (the hope is) you'll spend less time on discipline.

Part of it is relationships as well. You definitely want to be seen of as the adult in charge, but also as an adult who really wants to know who they are.

Keep in mind also that some districts have school-wide plans, so if you do get stuck with something, be prepared to make the best of it.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 12-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Consider:

1) Whatever system or method you choose it should satisfy three conditions: (1) get the job done (2) self-eliminate (3) reduce your work load.
2) A good discipline system protects students.
3) Proactive discipline is easier than reactive discipline.
4) Discipline should always come before instruction.
5) Avoid systems that are public. Discipline should be private or nearly so.
6) There is a direct relationship between your physical distance to students and how they behave. Distance is safety while proximity is accountability.
7) Although students almost always start a problem it's the teacher's reaction that will determine whether the problem remains small or becomes large.
8) Nag-threaten-punish is the most wide-spread "technique" in classrooms. It is also the least effective.
9) The system being used is far less important than the person using it. If students don't take the teacher seriously in the first place almost any system will fail.
10) Most students like a teacher who runs a tight ship. It is usually the vocal few who try to make the teacher feel like a fool for having any standards whatsoever.
11) Do not expect students to stand up and shout, "Thanks Teach for making us cooperate and stay on task." The "thanks" will come down the road because you know what's best for them.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

discipline
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well said, Fenwick!
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote