Child becomes super angry/physical whenever he is told "no" - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Child becomes super angry/physical whenever he is told "no"

>

ruralteacher

Child becomes super angry/physical whenever he is told "no"
Old 12-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

An almost-4-years-old boy in my class cannot handle being told no. He has a complete meltdown, including throwing chairs (!!), kicking, hitting, and, of course, screaming. Teachers and aides tend to just ignore him and try to go about their business until he winds down. They say if you try to talk to him about it, it escalates the behavior instead of calming him down. Have you ever had a child like this in your class? What kinds of things did you do that helped? Others in the class are beginning to copy his behavior. The hitting/kicking/screaming is going on several times a day. Help!

ruralteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

No
Old 12-02-2018, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Have you ever had a child like this in your class?
Not to that extent, but this might be a good classroom read:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsfoR_Kf_k
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Only time I've seen that,
Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

he was dx with Asperger's Syndrome (ASD) and ADHD. He was a smart, beautiful first grader who was just like that:
Quote:
cannot handle being told no. He has a complete meltdown, including throwing chairs (!!), kicking, hitting, and, of course, screaming.
He was smart but was also like that when he made a mistake on a lesson or lost at a game or wasn't called on first or not the line leader or... you get the picture... It was horrid.

It was my first time to see Autism with that presentation. I was flummoxed. The line between spoiled brat and Asperger's was very, very fine at times. More than one person thought/said he could probably be "cured" with a good spanking or more discipline or structure.

It simply was not the case. I wish I could say we had great success and I now have answers for you. The progress was slowly gained and could all be lost in one bad day.

We kept a good routine, were firm with discipline and consequences, and yes, ignored a lot. We also deflected a lot~as in, if we feared a meltdown coming, we changed the activity or sent him on an errand or went outside or anything. The earlier you can intervene in the potential misbehaviors, the shorter the meltdown~ unless he was tired, or getting sick, or just getting over being sick, or it was a Monday~ or a Friday or we had something "yucky" for lunch.

In our case, the parents moved into our school district specifically due to changing his home school district. When we were not successful in changing much that first year, they moved again. I think I heard they moved back to their previous area and homeschooled him and a younger sister with similar behaviors.

Good luck.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

ruralteacher

Old 12-02-2018, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"He was smart but was also like that when he made a mistake on a lesson or lost at a game or wasn't called on first or not the line leader or... you get the picture... It was horrid."

YES! This is exactly right! He is very perfectionistic, so doesn't try new things unless he knows he can succeed. Doesn't even like to do art.

I have never heard of Asperger's manifesting like this. His parents are supposedly working with a psychologist, so hopefully he will figure out something to help this child.

Thanks so much for your insight.

ruralteacher

Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for this, Lakeside! It does look like it would be very helpful!