Help

The VENT

Curious/ Not trying to be nosey

>

Guest2019

Curious/ Not trying to be nosey
Old 01-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I noticed a couple of people on here with money concerns. I read a Time Magazine article about a month ago that told about teachers having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.
I know some states and areas are cheaper to live in than others. We had a discussion yesterday about teachers striking for higher pay, more prep time, policy changes and much more.

If I could call a strike, it would be for more autonomy and prep time. More money is always welcome, but not something most of us need in our district.

We are fortunate in the sense that we get paid a decent salary here. The district is stacked though with teachers w/ Master's degrees and experience. Still we face a lot of problems when it comes to time, demands placed on us, and in some ways lack of respect from administration.
I was shocked to see 1 teacher say she only clears 2K a month. I am not sure what part of the country she lives in, but that would be almost impossible to live on if you were single.

Here is my curious question, maybe nosey, if so, so sorry! How much money do you clear a month and how much is an average 3 bedroom home in your area? Do salary and home prices seem compatible for you?

Guest2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest2019

I should have said,
Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"2K a month would be hard to live on unless your house was paid for and you did not have student loans.
I could live on 2K per month with those 2 conditions met."
Signedout

Signedout

MoneyQs
Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I take home $2700/mo after taxes and retirement on a 12-month cycle. The average teacher salary with my experience level is slightly higher than mine because I worked in private for a while.

We bought our house at the bottom of the market for $250 but similar homes are now going for $400. The average new home is bigger than 3/2 and goes for $450-600 and small, older 3/2 homes can be had for $300-400. New, smallish townhomes and condos are $300-500, depending on location and amenities. Apartment rent is more expensive than mortgage payments as far as I can tell.

Nonteacher-DH takes home $5500 after taxes, insurance, and retirement.

I could survive on a teacher salary if DH died and I kept the house weíre in, but I wouldnít have as much fun money.

teacherwriter

Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would be totally unable to afford a home if I weren't married.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 01-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I make just over 2k a month after insurance, taxes, and retirement. If I did not have my hsbandís salary I could not make it, mortgage alone is $1,200 a month.

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

$5,407
Old 01-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Interesting question. I’ll answer since it’s not secret info.

I clear $5,407 a month for 10 months (not counting $352 I put into a 403b). We get an additional check in August which is a few hundred higher due to the fact that dues and my 403b contributions aren’t withheld. I think it was ~$6k. 11 checks in all. My wife is also a teacher. She clears a bit more because I have the 403b and healthcare comes out of mine.

An average 3 bedroom home? I’d say ~low $500k range for an older (1960s) 3/4 bdrm. We bought in 2009 and our mortgage is $2,700.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-77647?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-59505?view=qv
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Coming from a different country, so perspectives are different.

I make just a smidge over $100,000 per year. After paying tax, private health, union and for my car (which is on a salary sacrifice deal), I take home about $2,500 per fortnight.

I live in a very rural area of this state. Our house is hard to value because of location, but a similar house in the nearest big town would be maybe $250,000.

Our children are grown and financially independent, my husband also works. We are fine for money.

So long as we stay in this or a similar location (no intention of moving). If we went to the capital city of our state (Sydney), a similar sized house would cost us well over a million dollars, and would be in a very outer, probably undesirable part of the metropolis. Because we would be living, if we could manage that (we couldn't) in an area with little employment opportunities, our travel costs and travel time would rise hugely. I don't know how teachers in the city do it.

While I would prefer not to strike just for money, our Education Department likes to try and trade working conditions for any small increase in pay - and maintenance of conditions I will strike for.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

I'm lucky
Old 01-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The state just forced a raise, so I take home about $3000 a month. I'm single and do not have student loans (thank you, Grandma, for timing your passing so conveniently). I can't speak to the cost of a 3-bdrm house, but average rent in my area for a 1-bdrm apartment is $1000-2000 depending on what you're looking for and where it is.
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Money
Old 01-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My 3 bedroom house would rent for about $1700/month. Luckily, my mortgage is much lower than that. I bring home about $3,000. Money can be tight at times, but Iím pretty frugal. I almost have the house paid off...4 more years!
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I take home about $4K a month. I am at the top of the pay scale and get every stipend possible except for one I'm not willing to do (new teacher mentor). A new teacher here (without stipends or insurance) brings home a little more than $2K a month. Housing is crazy cheap here, though:

Quote:
The median list price per square foot in MY ZIP CODE is $159, which is higher than the Albuquerque average of $146. The median price of homes currently listed in MY ZIP CODE is $287,000. The median rent price in MY ZIP CODE is $1,362, which is higher than the Albuquerque median of $1,250.

Other parts of the city are even less...some are more, too, but you get the idea. We bought our house at a time when the market was saturated and prices were crazy low and we put a boatload down...our mortgage payment is $950/month.

If I were a brand new teacher and single, I would struggle. I have a couple friends in that boat and finances are tough.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Where I live
Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

apartments cost more than $2,000 a month, so that salary is not a living wage.

Most of the younger teachers who are not married so they don't have a double income work a second job in the summer and do tutoring or other jobs during the year.

Yes, many teachers need to work two or more jobs. And yes, almost all teachers here have master degrees.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Hpylife

Old 01-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm in the North-eastern USA. I clear (after taxes) $ 2,600/mo. for a 10month position. Homes in my area are expensive..single families 3bedroom homes start at about 285k. Townhomes are cheaper, but not by much. I would not be able to afford a home without my husbands income. It also doesn't allow for much going into my retirement fund. **huge plus is our benefits package--my medical benefits are amazing, and as a person who does indeed use them, It probably saves me close to 1,000 a month..main reason why I keep the job!!

Last year, at the end of school year, I didn't take another job over the summer...however this year I will probably do that. I really can't go the 8ish weeks without pay.

That said, we have an adult "child" living at home (he's 18) and a 17yr old senior in high school. We do not have car payments--we bought used very cheap cars and paid in full.

If I were single I would prob be renting a home since I wouldn't have enough for a downpayment.

Our area is lower than a bordering county for pay scale. My scale is a bit lower as I am coming back into the profession and am not tenure yet. If I were tenure and had a masters, my income would go up to about 3k per month.

With regard to other things--I have a 45min "planning" time per day--but it's really about 30-35 min by the time I drop kids off/and get back to my classroom. Often that time is gobbled up by other things happening or other people wanting to plan things with you--so it's not really my own plan time to work on all of my lessons for the next day.
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 01-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I clear 2200 a month with a five years experience and with bachelor's +24(will have my master's in the spring). I teach self- contained k-5th special education . It is called the life skills program. Although I am dually certified in general ed and special education. I teach in a rural area and as such work for special education cooperative, districts here do not directly hire special ed teachers. As a special ed teacher, I make $4000 a year less than my general ed counterparts. I am also the case manager for my students . The pay difference is one reason I applied to teach gen ed in the district I am placed in. Finger crossed that I get it.
Houses around here are around 180,000 -200,000 for a 3 bedroom / two bath 2200 sq feet home. Depending on finishes and lot size
Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
How much money do you clear a month and how much is an average 3 bedroom home in your area? Do salary and home prices seem compatible for you?
Iím very happy with my salary and cost of living here. I clear a little over $2800 a month. I do have a lot of optional things that come out of my salary before that, though, so technically I could have an extra $1100 or so take home pay if I chose to do away with some of these things.
  • top-tier health insurance
  • vision insurance
  • dental insurance
  • professional organization (similar to NEA)
  • long-term disability insurance
  • cancer rider for insurance
  • critical illness plan
  • medical transport insurance
  • Flexible Spending Account
  • whole & term life insurance
  • annuity

Houses in my area vary widely in price over just a few miles. A three bedroom house will run between $90,000 and $150,000. I bought my house (3 bedroom/1 bath/single-car garage/brick ranch/1.5 acres) in 2000 for $82,000. I did a remodel/addition in 2016. I added a fourth bedroom, second bathroom, and additional two-car garage. Increased value to $146,000.

I lived by myself for a long time, and I supported an EX for 12 years on my salary. (He sucked out way more money than he ever made.) Now my DH and I make nearly identical salaries although we work in different districts. He has similar things taken out. He also has extra duties as building tech coordinator, so thatís a bit of extra pay. We are both at the 25 year mark with masters degrees. We live comfortably.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
TNTchr39

TNTchr39

Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

for asking this! Teachers in my area are encouraged to keep their pay private so I have no idea what my coworkers are making to compare myself to.

I bring home around $2140/month after everything's taken out. I have 5 yrs experience with a BS degree. I have a 3 bedroom home and my mortgage is $622/month. That's pretty comparable to other homes in the area. Apartments are upwards of $700 but the only reason I have the house is because my parents fronted the down payment and all the fees associated with the initial purchase. Otherwise, I'd barely be making apartment rent or I'd be living at their house with my daughter. We live on a tight budget.

Keltikmom

Cost of living
Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I donít know how young single teachers do it in California. Median house price in my area is $800 to $1M. Rents are astronomical. If I had to live on just my retirement, I couldnít. Thank the heavens my husband had a very good job.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I make $5600 a month tax free and have a $1500 housing allowance not included in my salary but I'm currently working at an international school in China. When I was working in the US, I made about $3000 a month and paid $1200 for my mortgage.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

idaho here--low salary state compared to rest of nation, but i'm in the highest paying district--we are well-cared for!

i have masters and 26 years--at the top of our pay scale. take home $4.500--after paying insurance for 2 kids. (our personal health insurance, dental, and vision are all paid for by district) our district works well and closely with our union.

while the cost of living in idaho is lower compared to many states, the housing cost is higher. the median house in boise ($255,000) is higher than the cost elsewhere in the state.

thankfully we purchased our current house long before the market shot up. with DH's current job situation, we would have to look outside the city for affordable housing
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Old 01-03-2019, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

After reading these posts I am thinking the salary where I am in relation to the COL is not very compatible. A first year teacher with a BA/BS starts at exactly $50k. With a MA, $55k.

Haley23

Old 01-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

That may have been my post, as I mentioned that's what I got my first year teaching. This year, my take home pay is around $3900 per month. However, about $500 of that is extra money from tutoring after school. If I didn't tutor, it's more around $3400.

I just looked up the average price of a 3 bedroom home and it's $540,000. I've been extremely fortunate as I've never had a car payment or student loans and have been able to supplement my income with some inheritance I received. Without those factors, I don't think I would be making it here.

I have been thinking about trying to buy a condo this year, but keep hesitating because it's so freaking expensive. I keep questioning if I want to invest in something that's $300K plus where I would still have to deal with issues like neighbors above and below me. On the other hand, rent is getting astronomical as well. I've been kind of grandfathered in because I moved into my place 6 years ago and while they've obviously risen rent, not as high as what new people are paying.

Hindsight 20/20 I would have moved back to my home state after my first couple of years of teaching. My parents have a 3 bedroom all brick ranch on 2 acres of land in a nice neighborhood that cost $130K. And the salaries are MORE there.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Haley23
Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Where is "here" and "there"? Would you share?

Lilbitkm

Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I’m in Orlando area and this is my 10th year teaching.

My net pay, twice a month, is $1300 and we are paid 10 months. My check would be a bit higher but I have part of my pay “deferred” for the summer since we don’t get pain during the summer. We do have great benefits.

I do tutor during the school year and some years over the summer for extra money.

I’m single, own a house, and a new car. However, my college was fully paid with scholarships and my Dad had a 529 account for me. He also helped with the down payment for my house so I am in a different situation than most people.

A three bedroom house averages around $300k here. Rent is also super high, you can’t get an apartment for under $1200 a month unless it’s government subsided.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I'm in the southeast. Small town in a rural county, about 30 minutes out from a large-ish city. I clear about $2,900 a month (bachelors degree only, 12 years teaching, not a lot of pre-tax take-outs). Hubby is also a teacher and brings home $2,800 (masters, 10 years, but our daughter's health insurance comes out of his check).

We were lucky in that we have no student loan debt (both had teaching scholarships funded by the state, back when they still did such a thing). We bought our 3-bedroom house (70's ranch, very well-kept, mixed income area) for $112,000 about 5 years ago. That price was low-average for the area (we got a good deal, but not a steal). Our mortgage is around $600, and we choose to pay another $100 on the principle each month.

House prices are part of why we live here. We originally planned to live in the larger city close to us, but our house would probably go for closer to $175,000 there. We enjoy no traffic and cheap COL as the trade-off for the extra gas and time it takes to get to Target or good restaurants. I don't love the small town vibe (*cough* racist and bigoted), but we got lucky with lovely coworkers and neighbors so our daily life is nice.

We both worked summer jobs back in our single and young-married teaching years, but only for the experience or because we loved them, not because we needed the money.

We are able to handle all of our needs (including paying for a private adoption to the tune of $30,000 and fully funding our IRAs every year), some of our wants (some house remodels, a small camper we take on lots of summer road trips), and choose to be frugal in a lot of other areas (consignment sales, driving old cars paid for in cash, etc.). We are also very lucky that we haven't had any major medical issues, and we have a strong family safety net if/when we need it.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote
UpstateNYdude

UpstateNYdude

Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Upstate New York.
I make 1,000 per week to take home. Live in a small town where I found a small home that I bought for 57,000. The cost of living in this area of NY is average (not as high as near the NYC area). I have no dependents, no animals. After having lived in a small apartment for 9 years, I now have no more college loans since they're paid in full.
I've never owned a vehicle. I walk 15 minutes to/from work. I travel to domestic/international destinations for just about every single vacation we have during the school year.
When I retire at 55, I'll have 32 years of service in. At that point, I plan to live in a different country where my money will reach much further.

beachgirl

North part of L.A.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

My take home is $ 4,750 and I have been teaching 14 years. I live in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. The average rent according to Curbed LA is $1,644 for a 1 bedroom apartment. In the nicer areas of the Valley, you are looking at closer to $2,000 per month for a 1 bedroom. House prices are ridiculous, so the medium house price right now is $481,600 according to Zillow. I rent a house below market rate so I am doing OK, but the same houses in my neighborhood usually list somewhere in the $800,000 to $950,000 range. I should say that I don't work for LAUSD even though I went to school in the district as well as my three children. I work in a smaller district in northern LA county. My husband brings in some money working as an adjunct professor, and he drives Uber to help make ends meet. We are advising our grown children to get out of California because it is so expensive to live here.
beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

My area is expensive...
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

There is no way i could live on 2K a month, and my condo is paid for. Taxes are $1300 every quarter, and for people who own homes, it could be well over that. I have a pension now (trying to hold off on collecting SS for at least a year and a half till I reach full SS age, maybe longer if I can) that is roughly $4K a onth. It is tight, but I am making it. I drive a 14 year old car that is in good working condition, and I have no credit card debt. I need to put some money into the condo, but am trying to hold off and save more towards that. And even though we make terrific salaries on paper for teachers, so much is taxed away, that we see maybe half of it. Lots of teachers, especially the younger ones, hold second jobs, primarily tutoring.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Quote:
Where is "here" and "there"? Would you share?
I'm currently in CO. My home state is OH.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest2019

Thank you to all!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I appreciate your openness to answer such a personal question. I had been thinking along the lines that teacher income was tied to cost of living in some places. I wasn't sure.
It sounds like many single teachers would not be able to buy a modest home without a spouse income, extra job, or family help in many places.

This is a very sad commentary for the way we treat the people we should value and trust the most. We value doctors by pay with high salaries. I would assume that next we would value the people who help raise our children with a high wage.

It is ironic that China would be the country that provides for housing. With their old 1 child policy, they have put their money where their mouths are in that sense. Not that I agreed with that policy at all!

I wish that there was a way for teachers all over to unite and fight for what we deserve both financially and professionally. I could only imagine what would happen if we could pull off a school shutdown for a month. I'd like to scream, "Revolt!" It could be great if all of the unions joined together and every school was shutdown until we were taken seriously!

javamomma

Money
Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Since Iím a single mo
I have to make my salary work.
I clear $2900 a month. That is after family health insurance, dental insurance, and medical reimbursement is taken out.
I rent a 3 bedroom 130o sq house for $900 a month. If I could buy it would be about 300 less than rent for same size home.
Cost of living (has groceries) are very affordable. Not rich but ok
I live in Central Arkansas.
javamomma is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Single income, 15 years in district with master's degree, I take home $2800 a month (12 months) after insurance, taxes and retirement. A decent but not fancy 3/2 in a decent middle income area area here would be $150K-$200K.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tch2Empower

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I make $4800/after tax per month for 12 months. 15 yrs teaching. Bachelor's Degree only (M.Ed will be earned this year).

The kicker...I live in Washington DC, where 1000 sq. ft row houses easily go for $500,000-1 mil! Insane.
Tch2Empower is offline   Reply With Quote
tfttft

tfttft

In South Carolina
Old 01-05-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

In my 24th year of teaching in a small district that pays about in the middle of the pay scales across the state. After deductions (Health, dental, retirement) I bring home $2900 a month. An average 3/2 home will run $150,000 with a mortgage around $800 a month. Two children in college. Wife teaches at a Tech school and brings in almost the exact same. We would be okay with a little "fun" money left over each month if we were not helping fund our kids college, car, and living expenses. Trying to just get them through so they don't start life in debt. Just finished writing bills a few minutes ago and have $493 left in checking to get us through until payday on January 25th (Money for gas and food only and pray for no unexpected expenses). Wife teaches overload some semesters to try to bring in a little extra. I teach homebound, tutor, etc anytime I can to try to supplement. You can live on a teacher salary here in SC as long as you do not have any surprises such as medical, but you will definitely be paycheck-to-paycheck. Limit eating out to about 4 times a month, drive 10 year old cars, shop thrift and discount stores, budget carefully, and limit travel/vacation expense to $1500 a year. Thankful for what we have, but at times get frustrated looking at the income my wife and I could have if we had taken our math degrees and went into the private sector.

Gifted

Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

South Florida here. I make about $2800 each month and it doesn't even come close to the cost of living. Our mortgage is $1900 a month for a 2-bed in a nicer part of the county. Neither of us could do it if we were single.

My biggest gripe is that I have been at this for 11 years and since I started, we have not had a single raise. The year I started was the same year they eliminated raises for years of experience, so I make only a little bit more than someone fresh out of college. I have an advanced degree, but that doesn't help much either.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

OrganizedPup

Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Quote:
Tsy2013's Message:
I make just over 2k a month after insurance, taxes, and retirement. If I did not have my hsband’s salary I could not make it, mortgage alone is $1,200 a month.
Those are my numbers too! 12 years experience. It’s quite sad.
OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 01-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I'm at the far end of our pay scale in terms of degrees/credits, and year 8 for experience in the district. I take home about $4000/month for 12 months. Home prices here are very affordable. A 3/2 2000 sq ft home is $150-250K, going up to probably about $400k if you got something new in a "fancy' neighborhood. We bought our house, that size, about 10 years ago and pay about $1200/mth for our mortgage. It would cost more than that for us to rent a similar home because the rental market is tight. Most teachers I know who are single live with a roommate(s) while they save up for a house.

We benefit from living in a cluster of small cities in the middle of a rural area. There are a few school districts close together that are similar in size and demographics that compete for teachers, so our bargaining and contracts are good because each district tries to best the others. At the same time, being in a rural area, cost of living is pretty affordable.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Financial Information
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I'm retired and don't remember how much I took home a month. I taught for 25 years and made $102,000 my final year.

I live in a suburb of Washington, DC, and housing is expense. A three bedroom house in my area costs $400,000-$600,000.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

travelingfar
Old 01-05-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I think you and I may be in the same district. Were you in MD or VA? I have 26 years at this point. 7 more to go!

ETA: Actually, we might not be in the same district. With my 26 years I'm at ~$97k.

travelingfar

Tgbwc
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I may have taught in the same district as you. My school was in a MD suburb of DC. My salary could have been a bit higher than yours because I have thirty credits past my master's degree. I just realized that my salary is incorrect in my previous post. I made $100,000 my final year.

Are you in MD or VA?
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

In VA
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Ok. Iím in VA. Mentally I think I could retire this year!

Cinderella00

Salary question
Old 01-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I'm in Indiana.
I had to look up median home value - it's $110,000. BUT lots of those homes are CRAPPY. I live in a poor, rural area. It says that 3 bedroom rent is $1,200 a month.
I'm at the top of my salary scale. I bring home 2,700 a month. BUT I have crappy insurance, no dental insurance and am not saving for retirement. My husband is out of work on disability (he has Alzheimer's) and gets disability. Without his disability money we couldn't afford our home.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

What'd I get left over in my paycheck would be very deceptive as I'm at the top of the scale with a bachelor's making around $66,000, but every other week I get a paycheck that's less than $375 for 22 cycles and then I get a big summer check that does not take out retirement or insur.

However my house I bought 30 years ago has been paid off for 5 years. My twins have gone through college ( grad 2017) and I have no loans from that as I saved for their entire lives and they also helped pay for some. I now put the maximum amount into 403b retirement, plus pay for health and dental insurance ( and $250 a check goes towards my local property tax...no income tax in my state) I didn't have a car payment for quite a few years. My spouse has a very good paying job making much of this possible.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Quote:
What'd I get left over in my paycheck would be very deceptive as I'm at the top of the scale with a bachelor's making around $66,000, but every other week I get a paycheck that's less than $375 for 22 cycles and then I get a big summer check that does not take out retirement or insur.

I hope you left off a zero? $375?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Quote:
I hope you left off a zero? $375?
Nope! But notice my first line said it was deceptive. I have the maximum amount put into my 403b finally as I'm 55 and don't have a mortgage nymore and my kids are done with college. They only take it out of 22 checks so that's like having almost $1,200 taken out of each check just for that, plus $250 goes to my property tax, plus another $300 for my health/dental insurance, plus just regular federal tax and state retirement. The $375 is the cash I get afterwards which doesn't even work out to minimum wage haha. Obviously I still couldn't do this if my spouse didn't have a good income :-)

However at the end of the school year I get 4 large checks for summer because my 403b retirement and insurance don't come out of those.

Last edited by twinmom95; 01-07-2019 at 03:30 AM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest2019

I am amazed by all of your replies!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

It seems like most people are living modestly or comfortably on their salary with another income. DC seems to be the best for income, but the housing seems like the most expensive.
It does make it hard when you're single or have kids in college or at home. It would be especially tough as a single mom.

It is interesting and concerning to me how the cost of rent seems to be really high all over the country. I remember when Indiana had really low priced rentals. They seem to have risen a lot too.

I built a small house years ago. Now I am wishing I had built on a mother-in-law apartment. It would be a nice supplement to my income in my older age.
Many of my kids at school live in state subsidized housing. The housing is nicer fancier, newer and bigger than my house. The rent is high here too.

You could find a 1 bedroom apartment for 1,200 a month, but it'd be in a really dangerous area.
I feel really bad for young parents here who work, but have not yet been able to buy a house because it'd be hard to save money and live in a safe place at the same time.

Ima Teacher

Old 01-06-2019, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

One of my friends lives in a small two-bedroom apartment and pays $325 a month for it. Another friend lives in the same complex, but she has a townhouse. Her rent is maybe $100 higher. There really arenít many apartments here besides a few subsidized places.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

$4700
Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I'm a 4th year teacher with a Bachelor's degree (not in education), an MBA (doesn't count), and a teaching certificate.
I think teachers get paid pretty well up here.
Average rent for a 3 bdrm house is $2,000.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Also Idaho
Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

New teacher, only my 3rd year. Old lady though, 48. I make a little over 2,200 a month. Not the highest paid district, but one right next door. Maybe the biggest and fastest growing. No masters degree. My house was only $168,000 13 years ago. It was a huge fixer upper though and still not fixed. I have two kids still at home. We have only one car. I walk to and from work. I was lucky to land a job at our neighborhood school. My kids all went there. I am married and could not make it on my own. We both have student loans. I keep deferring mine.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I bring home 3,300 ish a month but I also work a second job for the district teaching a home bound student.

a 3 bedroom home around here is in the mid 500,000's.

Even with my extra work with the district I do not earn enough to even rent a 2 bedroom apartment in town. Instead I rent a rundown dilapidated old house out of town (over 100 years old with cracks in the walls, out of date electric with only 2 prong outlets, no modernization like a dishwasher or central heat or air conditioning even though we have about 20-30 days a year over 105-so basically its a dump) and I pay 1600 a month for that and I can barley make ends meet.

There is nowhere cheaper for 50 miles around unless I want to live next to hookers and crack dealers in a neighborhood with drive by shootings...and even then I'd be paying about 1300 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

I will never make enough to buy a home or be financially stable. I will likely have no choice but to move states sooner or later. My Dad had reservation land in OK, so I ma end up there eventually.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Wow...
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

On paper, I make $39k/year (BS with 5 yrs experience) but in reality, I bring home $27k after everything is taken out. I tutor 2 afternoons a week and do the books for a small business 2 nights a week. I feel like I'm never home and I hate that I can't do more fun things on my weeks with my daughter because of the extra jobs. Got my house for $149 a little over a year ago. Mortgage is $622 for 3/2 but I live out of town. In town, decent homes start around $175k. I have no savings, no emergency money, and I defer my student loans. I'm an only child and my parents are very supportive/able to help financially. Otherwise, I'd probably still be married to an emotionally abusive husband because I'd depend on having 2 incomes.

I'm with Guest2019....say the word and I'd strike in a heartbeat. Yes, I love my kids (most days), I believe this is what I'm best suited for, and I did always hear that "teachers aren't in it for the money", BUT I did not sign up to always be at the bottom end of the country. With all the crap we put up with from kids, parents, coworkers, admin, policy makers....I don't think it's unrealistic to expect more.

I don't want Gucci purses - just the ability to take my kid to a movie and dinner without having to plan ahead or check my bank balance to make sure I have $50. It gets old.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Money stats
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Well, I live in southern California, about an hour and a half from beachgirl (towards the desert).
After 26 years of teaching, 97 extra credits, I clear $5600/month. That's after taxes, life insurance, union dues, and another thing or two that I can't remember. Health insurance is mostly paid for, we add a bit to it, and have co-payments of $30 for doctor visits.
We purchased our house about 20 years ago for approx $160,000. It's a 40 minute drive from work. If I wanted to buy this house again, it would be about $340,000. If I wanted to live closer to school, in the nice neighborhood near the school, houses start at about 700,000. I've seen signs for houses near where I work stating prices start at $650,000. According to Zillow, the median house listing is $437,000, and rent is a little over $2,000. Not sure what neighborhood that's in

Last edited by Tulips; 01-14-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote