Help

National Board Certification

C4 Assessments

>

CTEacher0712

C4 Assessments
Old 02-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to make sure I'm on the right path with the types of FA, SSA, and SA I plan to use. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

I've done quite a bit of digging to provide evidence of units where my students fall short based on test bank items (used as SAs in my classroom) and on the mandatory state exam. I've decided to use these units to show how my new supplemental materials help students improve. I'll likely use a unit on Income and Expense statements (I&E) because I have so much evidence of why that's imrtant for high school students to learn.

As my formative assessment I plan to use a "Family Feud" type game to have students collaborate in a competitive/fun way to build and put their knowledge to use. I'll also have them complete actual I&Es as well. The more I think on this, the less I'm sure about which to submit as my FA. I will discuss both in my writing, but I think the actual statements might be a more convincing FA...OR could they be the SA? The more I think, the more I confuse myself.

Last piece...does anyone know about Plickers? I've used this successfully in the past to gauge understanding. Students have a QR code on a card that is unique to them. They answer multiple choice questions by turning the card in one of four directions. I scan the cards from the front of the room using my cell phone and results are immediately posted by card number or nickname on the SMART board. This gives students immediate feedback and allows me to download full results. I'd like to use that as my SSA. I'm just not sure of how to speak to it being a SELF assessment. Is distributing individual results so they can study what they missed enough? That seems too insignificant.

Sorry for the very long post. Thanks for taking time to read it!

CTEacher0712 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
This gives students immediate feedback and allows me to download full results. I'd like to use that as my SSA. I'm just not sure of how to speak to it being a SELF assessment. Is distributing individual results so they can study what they missed enough? That seems too insignificant.
Google SSA. It typically includes student reflection, which your proposed idea doesn't sound like it does?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

CTEacher0712

Old 02-02-2019, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Zia! I've read tons of your advice to others on this board and am glad to hear from you.

You are correct about a missing piece. Students can number a paper with the number of questions I'm asking in the Plickers activity. Before I show the correct answer students can mark each question number with a check indicating high confidence in their answer choice or an X indicating low confidence in their answer. Students can then focus more heavily on specific topics based on this Confidence Based Assessment (CBA) strategy. I have PowerPoints with the same sequence of questions and each time students click one of the answer choices goes away. They can review these using the CBA as well.

Does this sound more on target or am I still missing it?

olison

Old 02-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

With what you’re doing (which seems computer based), would there be a paper trail as evidence to show how students self assess their learning? How would you get your students to think deeper about their learning in addition to just knowing that they got a question right or wrong?

Refer to your directions under student self assessment. They have guidelines that you need to meet to satisfy this portion.
olison is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
You are correct about a missing piece. Students can number a paper with the number of questions I'm asking in the Plickers activity. Before I show the correct answer students can mark each question number with a check indicating high confidence in their answer choice or an X indicating low confidence in their answer. Students can then focus more heavily on specific topics based on this Confidence Based Assessment (CBA) strategy. I have PowerPoints with the same sequence of questions and each time students click one of the answer choices goes away. They can review these using the CBA as well.

Does this sound more on target or am I still missing it?
I still think it's lacking student reflection. I mean...yes, they are predicting their performance, but they aren't reflecting on their performance after.

I agree with olison's point:
Quote:
How would you get your students to think deeper about their learning in addition to just knowing that they got a question right or wrong?

CTEacher0712

Thanks olison and Zia!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I value your opinions and appreciate the help. You're definitely helping me think this through.

I made a spreadsheet with columns including the question (as it will appear on the SMART board), answer choices (they circle the answer they will turn their card to), confidence level, and correct answer (they'll mark this as soon as I show the answer on the board). There is also a line for students to fold over to cover the two right columns, hiding the confidence level and correct answer. I'll use the immediate results to review each question missed by anyone in the class explaining in detail which will give us some reflection as a group. Students will be asked to complete the Q&A again as a bellringer the next day using the foldover. After they complete the activity and check their results (hopefully for improvement!), we could go through as a class and highlight key words in the question and answer OR they could possibly pair up and brainstorm the key words. Both of these next day activities seem reflective to me.

Am I getting there?

Last edited by CTEacher0712; 02-03-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Zia

Old 02-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Eh, maybe I'm not getting it (I teach K after all), but students comparing answers to the correct answer seems more like checking your work than reflecting on your performance.

I think we need someone else to chime in here! I'm clearly not helping and I am sorry.

olison

Old 02-03-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What do you mean by Q&A as a bell ringer?

CTEacher0712

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

olison,
I want to show you my spreadsheet (which I would print out for students) in order to explain how I intend to use it as an SSA. I'm not sure if it's ok to post things like that on this board if I plan to use it for NB certification. Do you know if it's ok?

CTEacher0712

Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Zia,
I think the problem is in being a CTE who is lateral entry. We don't necessarily always use the same methods (not that it's the correct thing) or know the terminology used in education because most of us are field specific majors and don't have the full education background. I've never really used SSAs in my classes, at least not that I was aware of. I like the idea and feel it would greatly improve learning but even after researching it I came up with some very simple things like: full smiley face for "I get it", partial smile for "I need a little more help", and a frowny face for "I don't get it".

Last semester for the first time, I used a "Describe three things you learned about..." and "Ask me one thing you don't quite understand or are confused about". That seems to be an SSA to me also, but now I question it.

With my current idea of using a print out with columns, I thought the reflective portion would be where they highlighted key words in the question and answer column to help them see more clearly what they missed then re-answer the questions and record their new confidence level.

I'll do more research and see if I can come up with something more on target. Thanks so much for trying to help me!

Zia

Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I PMed you.

CTEacher0712

Old 02-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the info. I'll report back in December!

olison

Old 02-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What you did last semester (questions you asked) is more in line with student self assessment, because they are providing you feedback and that will inform your next time instruction. You can use the columns but I would also include questions for them to reflect on.

CTEacher0712

Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That's the path I'm going to take. It makes sense to incorporate both so they can clearly see what they got and what they missed, how they felt about it at the time they answered it, then include a place to include questions they have while their in the middle of it! Thanks!