Paraprofessionals

Disrespect from staff and adm

>

KSPara18

KSPara18

Disrespect from staff and adm
Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been a Para/Teachers Aide for 18 years. The one thing that has not improved in all those years is the disrespect blatantly shown to Support staff from teachers and administration. Students pick up on this and also treat support staff disrespectfully. Have any of you encountered this and if so how did you handle the situation? Iíve brought this up to some teachers and some administrators, but they of course deny this happens! Iím frustrated and tired of being treated like a third class citizen!

lovemymonster

Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My suggestion is don't act like a third class citizen. That sounds harsh, but respect will not be given just because you think you deserve it. Take your job and yourself seriously, and it will show. Be amazing in what you do (you probably are!), and take credit for it. If someone talks down to you, call them on it. If someone blows off your opinion or advice, let them know that they are missing out on a great resource. Take initiative and get involved in things that take you beyond your job description - think mentoring, helping out on a sports team or club, volunteering to organize a potluck, lead a workshop on a PD day. Its harder to be disrespectful to someone who is likeable, knowledgeable and confident! Hope that helps.
lovemymonster is offline   Reply With Quote

KsPara1123

Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As I stated in my post, I have called out those that have shown disrespect, however, they did not feel they were being disrespectful. In our district, Paras are not asked to lead a PD sessions. When support staff have asked to do so, they were turned down.

I feel I do my job very well. Have always had excellent reviews. I feel if other staff do not feel they are being disrespectful to support staff, then it will not be changed. Perhaps itís my perception. Something to work on!
KsPara1123 is offline   Reply With Quote