how to set up an old fashioned grade book - ProTeacher Community

juny

juny

how to set up an old fashioned grade book
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching since Sept and I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone to show me how. Is there anyplace online I can go to figure this out?

Azure

I don't know
Old 10-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

of a site on-line but...I can lead you in the right direction I hope. You need to decide what you give grades on. Do you keep attendance also? If so, that should be your first listing. On top write attendance. (Put a paper clip on the page on the right and all the pages in front of that 1st actual page that you will use.)
Then list all students names. I put them in alphabetically.
The book opens to 2 pages. This should be enough for the 1st quarter. Turn the page.
The 2nd pg. 2nd quarter. - Turn the page.
3rd - 3rd quarter--Turn the page.
4th pages -4th quarter.
Now you are ready for your content areas.
The next page - Write Language Arts (Put a paper clip on the page on the right and all the pages of the "attendance" 2nd - 4th quarter pages.)
The first pages - 1st quarter --turn the page You will need to write the kids names again. It just makes it easier if you do.
2nd pages -- 2nd quarter -- turn page
3rd pages -- 3rd quarter -- turn page
4th pages --4th quarter

Turn page - new content area - paper clip it to the pages inbetween the other paper clip and your ready to start again.

It may help you the write 1st quarter on both Right and Left pages.
Then 2nd Quarter on both Right and Left pages and so on for each area to keep you organized the first time.

Once you do it a couple of times, you will "get" it. I remember having to white out a few times.

When you turn the pages from one quarter to the next you can fold the name list down on the new quarter sheet and use the one from the 1st quarted that you already wrote.
I hope this explanation is clear, if not let me know.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

barb7

Forget The Books--use Word Or Excel
Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In books you have to hand write student names again and again. Ugh.
For years now I make grade sheets on either an Excel spreadsheet or a Word document with a table.

New subject...just a cut and paste away.

Then I put them in a skinny binder.

Those are just my hard copies. I use a software now, very cheap called Gradkeeper.com You can go to their site and use it free for 30 days. It's the only way to fly.

Good luck!

Barbara in San Jose, CA

P. S. I also write my lesson plan in Word documents using tables. That way I don't have to write "read, discuss" "correct/record" , etc. over and over. I just make a template and crank the blanks every week. Love it. Or some years I print out enough copies for a school year, punch holes and put in lesson plan binder with post it plastic label tags for months. But now I get the binder dividers set up and put lesson copies in it as I write them. I still insert a calendar page for each month (again, made with word tables) behind's each month's divider and write in my yard duties and other meetings, responsibilities ahead. Let me know if you'd like me to send you my templates, you could tweak them to your needs, but not have to reinvent the wheel. Other teacher's see my plans and are awed That's always fun. It funs to be able to put different colors in them and use bold or different fonts.
barb7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Gradebook
Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you read Harry Wong's First Days of School? In it he talks about setting up your gradebook. He also recommends a particular gradebook. It is made by Whaley. I love it! You can purchase a bound book or looseleaf pages. I have the pages and the computer program that prints the names on the pages. I type in the names in the beginning of the year, and then each grading period I print new pages. Wong recommends the three-line gradebook. Again, I love it! I keep attendance on the top line. Then I still have two lines for grades.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

Help to the Rescue
Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

juny,

Google Excel gradebooks , and you will find many sites which will help you set up a gradebook on Excel. I keep mine on Excel, and it is wonderful (you don't have to pay anything extra...it is right their on your computer). Hope this helps and good luck.

Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Don't do it!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Use an electronic gradebook. It will save your life-especially during report card season. I use Making the Grade, and I love it! Think about how many students that you have times the number of grades for each student. It will save you countless hours trying to calculate grades. Imagine 22 students times 18 grades. You're talking about doing 396 grades.
Also, if you decided to leap into the electronic grade book, you might want to invest in a flash drive to save it. It's so much information that it will make your computer run slow. I have a 1G, and I paid about $25 for it.
I haven't used an old-fashioned gradebook in 3 years.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I agree - don't do it..
Old 10-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd use an online or Excel sheet rather than the "old fashioned" one.

However, if you are required to use it... I did mine similar to Azure, only I divided mine by grading period, rather than content.

Since we work on six weeks, 1st pages - language arts, 2nd pages - reading, 3rd - spelling, etc. All my grades for that grading period were on the first sets of pages.

I had to rewrite student names each grading period, but we are very transient, and this allowed me to re-alphabetize my lists
-------
The one attached below (in Excel) is one that another member here posted in the summer, and I've been using it for my pullout program.
Attached Files
File Type: xls grade sheet.xls (34.0 KB, 306 views)
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought MAKING THE GRADE back when it was called GRADE BUSTERS. That was at least 20 years ago. I haven't kept a pencil and paper grade book since. It is extremely easy to use and relatively inexpensive ($99). They have regular free upgrades. I really think it is worth the investment. By keying in a few simple commands:
  • I can average grades up to the minute
  • I can send out weekly progress reports
  • I can print out spread sheets for a physical grade book (Let's make our principal happy.)
  • I can knock out end of the quarter averages for all my subjects in under 20 minutes.
  • I can go on and on but you get the idea.
I honestly believe that it is the finest/easiest electronic grade book out there.

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Traditional vs Computer
Old 10-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

While I can see the benefits of using a computer gradebook (30 grade times 130 students), I can not get past the portabilty of a traditional gradebook. Talking to parents on the phone, conferences with parents or other teachers, grading work at home..... I like having my traditional gradebook with me. How do those of you using computer gradebooks deal with these situations?

MaddieC

Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you have to have a hard copy for those purposes, print it out. It literally takes seconds. Since it is averaged as you go, you have the current overall average to share.

You can specify categories (tests, classwork, homework, etc.) and weight the grades.

I have the software on both my computer at school and my laptop at home. (Its legal to do that.) I save the grades to a thumb drive (flash drive) that I carry back and forth in my briefcase. I can work at either place. I literally have my "grade book" with me at all times.

Maddie

Teach'n'Learn

Old 10-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use a webbased gradebook, so I can access it from any computer hooked to the internet. For non-internet accessible times, I have a spiral bound notebook. I just write the grades in that (students are numbered, so I just quickly number the page). Then when I get a chance I can easily enter the grades into the web gradebook.

For conferences, just print out a copy. Or, do as I do, and have your laptop with you.
Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I suppose I am a bit paranoid. There have been so many incursion into web-based data bases that I am extremely fearful of putting anything confidential online. That is the reason I have not considered web-based grading programs.

By saving them on a thumb disk and backing up a with second thumb disk, I can pretty well guarantee both confidentiality and reliable storage.

Do you really tote your laptop around with you? :-)

Maddie

Last edited by MaddieC; 10-27-2007 at 03:28 PM..

whatever

Teach n Learn
Old 10-27-2007, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you are going to take the time to write the grades down in a notebook, on numbered lines, why not use the best parts of both "old school" and technology.

Does your school give you the grade book for free anyway?? (Ours does.) If so, use that as your "notebook" since the lines are already numbered. You wouldn't have to write the names in and just put the very most basic information at the top of the page--like the year or quarter. If you dated the space at the top of the column each time you write the updated grades in (for portabilities sake,) you would have an accurate running total anytime you were asked for information when you were away from your computer.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

Old 10-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

whatever, no we don't get a free gradebook And I have dozens of leftover spiral notebooks from various things.

I don't write down all grades in hard format. It's only used when I'm away from an internet connection. Otherwise, grades go directly into the computer. So it wouldn't really give me an accurate running total anyway.

Teach'n'Learn

Old 10-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Do you really tote your laptop around with you? :-)
Well, yeah, doesn't everyone?

Any parent conference would be at school where I could just have it up and running to consult. The parents like to be able to see "Well, if Johnny got an A on this assignment coming up, he'll improve his grade by X" I can easily input the hypothetical grade, instantly see the improvement, and show it to them. If it's a phone conference, I can still use it for easy calculating if they want to know "What does Sally need to bring her grade to a C by end of quarter?"

Nik

Laptop and thumb drives????
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If you are technologically savvy, I can see where the computer gradebook is beneficial. I do not own a laptop and I don't know what a thumb drive is or how to use it. I guess it is better that I stay with my traditional gradebook.

MaddieC

Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Nik,

Do you have a desktop computer?

I was using an electronic grade book long before there were lap tops and thumb disks. I was probably no more tech savvy at that time than you are now. It is true that you have to put in a little time to learn the "stuff," but it was well worth the investment.

Maddie
mbarbara

mbarbara

gradebook template
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi Barbara,

Don't know if you're still doing your lesson plan book as you were, but if you have your templates I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

Barbara too!
teboteach

teboteach

Teacher
Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi Barbara,
I am having trouble doing my plan book and other docs in Word using tables. Would you mind sending me your blank templates so I can adjust from there?

I would so appreciate it!
Cathy Tebo
teboteach#gmail.com
teboteach

teboteach

Cathy
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Oops, I meant teboteach#gmail.com
Typo!

terrybert

weighted grades?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Can you specify categories (tests, classwork, homework, etc.) and weight the grades on this spreadsheet ?
grade sheet.xls (34.0 KB, 188 views)
If so, how?
terrybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Fred Trammel

Fred Trammel

Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am new at teaching and would love your templates. Thank you for being kind enough to share.
sturg

sturg

lesson plan template
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I would like to have a copy of your lesson plan template.
Thank you

tiby1166

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Oh my God!!!! I am going nuts!!!!! I am a new teacher this year and I just got in here to find out how to input grades the old fashion way, on a grade book. Now, after reading all the information here, I'm afraid I don't know what to do!! HELP PLEASE!!!!
tiby1166 is offline   Reply With Quote