Help

The VENT

School Trip crisis (help)

>

Anne88

School Trip crisis (help)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I teach at a private school in Maryland and got to supervise a class trip to Spain. We took a bus to the ship which was about a half hour away and some of the girls were doing their makeup on the bus, which caused another teacher to confiscate ALL the girls makeup. So she went around with a big garbage bag and put away their makeup. A while after we got on the ship, when we were already off shore, one girl asked where her makeup was. Turns out, the other teacher left it on the bus. The girls started freaking out of course and there was nothing we could do. The ship didn't sell makeup and we put ours in the bag to avoid being hypocritical, so we are all stuck without it for the trip. Today was out first day without makeup and the girls are super self conscious, they are pissed at us for taking their makeup and this excursion is going horrible. How do I help 20 self conscious girls enjoy the trip without makeup?

Anne88 is offline   Reply With Quote

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 02-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't do any thing. I would wear my make up because I didn't confiscate any thing. However, it's on you, I might (depending on relationship) take to coworker because your coworker is in trouble. Your coworker willingly took property that didn't belong to them and due to the nature of make up, it proply got mold from being left on the bus or thrown away or stolen.

Loveslabs

Make up
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why in the world did the other teacher take away their make up? It almost looks like someone was looking for a problem.....
Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Frankly
Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There's nothing to be done at this point unless the teacher who created this big fiasco goes to a department store and replaces all the make up she took from the girls. Their parents will probably be pretty upset as well.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Trip crisis
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unless other idiot teacher goes and buys some, youíre going to have to do a lot of talking about natural beauty. Face it (pun intended), this is not going to go over well with the girls.

And be prepared for a lot of blow back from parents.

It sounds mean, but I would throw the other teacher under the bus on this one.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is ridiculous. Who were they hurting by applying makeup on the bus? I'm sure they paid to go on the trip.amd the parents are going to be mad. Makeup is not cheap! I don't think you can do anything but make sure they know it wasnt you!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I believe it is a time to reflect
Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

on inner beauty and could be a good learning experience for all.
If you can get them motivated to focus on acts of kindness and to discuss and practice what inner beauty looks like.
They'll probably never even see the same people (other than classmates) again in their lives. Why do kids feel the need to impress people they'll never see again?
When I was younger, I grew up where how you looked outside was very important. My mom believed you should be decked out where ever you were including in the house. It was just how she was raised probably.
I used to think make up added to outward beauty until someone convinced me that I was was more beautiful w/out it. ( 20's)
It is a "natural look" as opposed to a fake look.
It was a freeing experience, not even to have to mess with it..
I have a friend who never wore make up in her life. She just always felt comfy in her own skin.
Use the experience to get the kids to quit focusing on their looks and start being beautiful people inside if you can!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Summerwillcom is absolutely correct!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Use this experience to get the kids to focus on something other than their looks. I really wish someone had convinced me when I was 16 to not wear makeup! Because now I am a slave to it in my late fifties. I can't be comfortable without some makeup on. It's ridiculous. I never had the confidence or self-esteem. These girls need to believe and be convinced that they don't need makeup.
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don’t blame the girls for being pissed. Whatever possessed your colleague to confiscate everyone’s makeup because some girls were putting it on? Why did you go along with it? Personally, I think your colleague needs to purchase everyone makeup on her credit card. Her error and the girls shouldn’t be expected to just suck it up. She needs to right her wrong.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The teacher who stole the students' makeup can start by paying back the girls for the cost of the makeup. I would be furious if someone took something that belonged to me and then lost it. What was the reasoning for stealing the makeup, besides being self-righteous?

Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't get it either. What were the girls doing wrong? Some of my makeup is really expensive, and I would be mad if someone took it without my permission. It sounds like this teacher just wants power. I don't think the girls need to learn a lesson about being self conscious or not. I think this teacher needs to learn a lesson about the consequences of overstepping her boundaries.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Not Good
Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The other teacher messed up here. Confiscating the students' makeup and then leaving it on the bus is not OK. I don't understand why you're not wearing makeup. It isn't your fault that your colleague left the makeup on the bus.

My guess is that the other teacher will have a lot of parent complaints when you guys get home. I would take a giant step back from this.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-18-2019 at 04:34 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The other teacher will have some explaining to do. Teenage girls are obsessed with their looks and often spend quite a bit of money on looking their best. It would be reasonable if the teacher asked the students to put their makeup away but she took it and lost it. She very well could have a huge bill once she's done replacing the makeup.

Not your problem at all.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Juiceboxes

Upsetting
Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I cringe reading the post thinking of the financial liability. My HS TA's shop at Sephora, ULTA, etc. And their makeup is not cheap. I wouldn't be surprised to average 75 or more per each girl. My drugstore make up accessories in the early 00's was 80 bucks back then. Times 20 girls...yikes. Your coworker is about to learn a lesson in why one should always pick their battles. Some lessons do not come cheap and this one will not be. Besides the liability your coworker is now under, a good start would be a sincere apology and owning up to the error of her actions.
Juiceboxes is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Whoa! That is too much!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Was there a stipulation in the paperwork/rules that makeup was not allowed? Did the girls know they had to leave it put away on the bus or trip? Did she ask them to put it away prior to snatching it up? If so, that may save her. Otherwise, she should pay. Did anyone call the bus company to ask if it was found? It was likely discarded if it was in a garbage bag.

I rarely wear makeup myself but would be livid if someone else took and lost the little I have. It would be worse it if were a big portion or costly (and worse yet if I were one of the gals who was not applying makeup at the time.) As the parent of one of those gals, I would be upset.

Once she went beyond telling them to put it away, she was out of bounds. SHE overstepped and she needs to pay. If you were not in on it too, don't even volunteer to split the cost, etc. It could be several hundred $$$.

Actually, even if it was not lost, I would be upset that it was all lumped into one big bag unless mine was in its own good, easily identifiable makeup bag. I would not want someone else's stuff. I know that a lot of teens share stuff like that but it is voluntary on their part.

Now, since the entire bag was lost, she cannot know who gave up what or brands. She will need to replace whatever they claim. Some of the makeup bags alone are pricy.

Good luck to all of you.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Iím not one to cause a scene, but Iíd show my ass if someone were to take my makeup. Iím not sure why doing makeup on a bus is an issue in the first place?

Good makeup is expensive. Iíve worn makeup since middle school, and I wear it to work every day. I would be extra ticked if I were on a trip and had my items taken. I donít always put makeup on for things like running errands, but dang it I expect it to be there if I want it.

Not cool.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

She's going to get cheated. Since people don't usually cheap receipts for such things, and no one is going to want to be the girl/family will the cheapest one, watch everyone will claim it was MAC make up. That's what happens when you commit a crime.

MAsped

Old 02-17-2019, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

That's a shame that this happened and on a big trip no less.

I agree regarding what's so bad about some girls putting on makeup that she had to take away EVERYONE'S makeup?! The girls don't want this to be a lesson right now about learning to feel beautiful without makeup and how they don't need it. They just want to have fun on this trip and I'd feel the same way.

From a person who wears some makeup every time I step out of the house, I wouldn't have a good time on a big trip far from home either without MY makeup. I really don't know what you can do, but who's going to pay all these girls back for the makeup that's gone? The teacher who took it all away should pay them each out of her OWN pocket. That will teach her next time to not do something like that again!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm dying to hear more details.
Why did she confiscate the make up? Was there a rule about not wearing makeup? If so, why? There has to be more to this story.

I don't wear makeup every day, either - depends on my mood. But that is entirely beside the point. After forcing kids to give up their possessions (stealing them, essentially), it is not the time to act self righteous and start preaching about inner beauty. The teacher should replace what she took and lost. It's not your problem, and if I were you, I'd distance myself from it and refer any questions or complaints to the teacher who took it upon herself to collect the makeup. And that's not throwing her under the bus. She did that to herself.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

CheddarCheese

Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I wouldnít wear a lot of make up, maybe some light foundation to look natural since the students had theirs taken away and this is a sticky situation. Honestly, I wouldnít approach natural beauty just in case the parents or girls could say that you had an agenda for them not wearing make up. What the other teach did wasnít right at all. She couldíve had them put their make up in their make up bags and then taken it. But to lump it all in a trash bag and then lose it would make me irate as a parent. Itís one thing to have it taken away for not following directions, but for the teacher to lose it (and we know that the girls probably had expensive make up) is not right. As a teacher, I usually look for the rationality in this, but the other teacher really messed up big time. Iím sorry that youíre having to deal with an issue that she caused. The other teacher needs to figure something out and replace their things since she is responsible for losing it. She needs to step up and make amends on this. This is one time that I would tell the girls that I understand their feelings and being upset.
CheddarCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Before I give my opinion, whatís the rest of the story?
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Thanks! I will try.

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I talked to the other teacher and she was unwilling to buy makeup. Honestly I don't know why I went along with it. The other teachers were putting their makeup in the bag so I did too. I wish I didn't because I'm without makeup too now :-(

I have no idea why the teacher confiscated the makeup. There's no rule against wearing makeup and almost all the girls do actually. The girls were being really loud and I guess the bus driver told them to be quiet, which they ignored. I think the makeup was just a way to punish the students for being loud to be honest.

heart4kids

I think that is strange behavior.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I can't imagine any instance where all make-up would be confiscated and left on a bus. There has to be more info, like it was a very conservative religious-based school, and make-up was prohibited in the first place.

The teen years are hard enough. If a teen relied on make-up to deal with the psychological effects of severe acne, a birth mark, etc., this would probably ruin their trip. I'd be sad for them.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Well, I teach at an all girls private school and a lot of the students really care about their appearance. When we were in the bus the students were being loud and the bus driver complained. They were still loud and were applying their makeup (something they were told not to do on the bus.) Then a teacher came around and confiscated everyone's makeup, including the girls who weren't doing their makeup. The teachers also put their makeup in to set a good example so we're stuck without it too. Today was the second day and all the girls showered so all their makeup washed off. Most of the girls wear makeup every day so they are super self conscious and angry at administration. I talked to some of the girls and one of the biggest gripe seems to be that they feel they can't take pictures anymore because they don't have makeup. Usually they would clamor together to take pictures in their formal dresses, but without makeup they seemed more embarrassed than anything.

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

The thing is, makeup wasn't banned in the first place. Most of the girls wear makeup to school daily.

Lynnteach2

Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

My sister-in-law says that most cruise ships do sell make up. She has been on several cruises and they did have makeup for sale, Clinique I think.

I have to think thereís more to the story. The poster said she gave up her makeup too.
Lynnteach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Man, something about this post smells stinky. I'm not even going to talk about what a dumb idea it would be to take girls' makeup away. What adult woman in her right mind would also turn her makeup over?? And, the original poster claims they are on the trip right now - so a first time user of this site is posting from Spain? I was born at night, but not last night.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Quote:
Man, something about this post smells stinky. I'm not even going to talk about what a dumb idea it would be to take girls' makeup away. What adult woman in her right mind would also turn her makeup over?? And, the original poster claims they are on the trip right now - so a first time user of this site is posting from Spain? I was born at night, but not last night.
I thought the same thing.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I also put my makeup in the bag. Even though I don't wear a lot, I do feel a bit naked without it!

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

This isn't really a full cruise. The ship is much smaller compared to most and it only has one shop that unfortunately doesn't sell makeup.

Anne88

Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Yeah, I understand it was a stupid idea in retrospect. I'm a new to teaching private schools and just went along with what the others were doing. I don't know how they could have forgotten the makeup either. I'm actually starting to think it was in purpose.

DeeDee3073

Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Wow! I teach at a private international school and students are not permitted to wear makeup. HOWEVER, I would not confiscate it. At most I would remind them of the school rules and at school make them wash their faces. I never confiscate items from students because once you take it from them then you are liable. I will walk them to the principal or head of discipline.

The teacher needs to pay for the makeup. If I were a student or parent, I would be highly pissed. As soon as they arrive in Spain, the girls are going to be on the phone telling their parents. I really hope the teacher is prepared. Just WOW!

And, I would stay out of it.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Quote:
They were still loud and were applying their makeup (something they were told not to do on the bus.)
Assuming this entire scenario is real (yeah, I have my doubts like some other PPs), this is the key sentence. The girls were violating rules on the bus--maybe the school's rules, maybe the bus company's.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 02-18-2019, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Something seems fishy about this whole story to me. First the story in general. Then the "reason" was that they were loud. Just that. Then they were loud and told not to do makeup on the bus. I almost think a teen is writing this to cause a stir.

If it's real, I apologize for doubting, but I think the colleague needs to make things right (not that the OP can control that).
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I'm confused about the whole trip. Did they take the bus to the ship? If this is a trip to Spain, then what are they doing on a cruise?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 02-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

You're on a class trip to Spain (from Maryland) and you took a ship! How long is this class trip?

The ship doesn't sell makeup. It's a transAtlantic crossing. Most ships making transAtlantic crossings have stores that sell everything you could ever want and more. Is this ship a freighter?

Formal dresses!

Looking forward to part two of this tale - the return home.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Question
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I'm confused why the class trip is in Spain in February. I taught in MD just like the original poster, and schools around here do not get a February break. High school trips usually are held over spring break.

I'm skeptical about a Mediterranean cruise in the winter. I thought that those ships sailed in the warmer months.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-18-2019 at 09:01 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Notwithstanding that this may be a fake
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

post, the most distressing part to me is that high school girls are that chained to their makeup that they cannot function without it? The entire world changed for them? What a (First World) tragedy!

What does this say about the self-esteem of women? We cannot be a fully-functioning human without applying goop to our faces every day?

I am so so glad I grew up in the sixties/seventies and did not feel a need to wear makeup EVER. Now that I am in my dotage, I have been known to try out a little eye makeup, but still don't bother with foundation or all the trimmings. Just plain not necessary. What are these girls learning about the importances of life? Just gross.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 02-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

So many things donít make sense. Youíre taking a cruise to Spain, from Maryland, in February? Thatís an awful lot of school to miss. No parent chaperones?

Based on when you posted, it would seem that you should still be in the middle of the ocean right now.
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Quote:
I thought the same thing. On the chance it’s a poster that created another name because she is embarrassed and there really is more to their part in the fiasco, I responded, but I do find the entire story suspect.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I'm just here for the comments...casting my fishing line and settling in!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Yikes
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

It's a little disappointing that some are stating their suspicions that this is a fake post. I wonder if it would be better to give suggestions whether or not it's a real post. If it's real, I'm sure some of your comments had/have the potential to make a person feel worse than she already feels.

Speaking from experience, this will not go over well when they return home. It will most likely be a nasty hovering gray cloud for a long time.

Anyway...
If I follow correctly, the group flew to Spain, arrived at a coastal city, boarded a boat, and sailed out for a number of days (a few days, a handful of days....who knows).
Teens get excited and nervous about new experiences. I can imagine the noise level was disturbing to the driver especially if the driver was older. I don't at all support the confiscation of the makeup and fail to see how that could lower the volume of the chatter. (I'd think it would make things louder and more unpleasant.)

If the OP is still reading this, I hope the best and I would recommend doing very little speaking when you're back home and being questioned about your role. I would most definitely throw the colleague under the bus. Most likely, the students will point the finger more at her anyway. Please feel free to send me a PM if you'd like additional suggestions/recommendations. I kind of have a "been there, done that" situation similar to yours.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Anne88, so what happened, I'm curious.

(I never suspected your post was fake, BTW.)
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote