Is it worth doing National Board Teacher Certification (NBPTS) or not? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

National Board Certification

Is it worth doing National Board Teacher Certification (NBPTS) or not?

>

NBPTS or not

NBPTS or not

Is it worth doing National Board Teacher Certification (NBPTS) or not?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I have a PhD and teach at a private school. I don't have any financial incentives to do national board teacher cert other than wanting to improve in my practice. The school will pay for this but I won't get a raise or anything like that.
Should I do this or not? Would it make me more "marketable" or will I just invest a lot of time and not get a big return on investment?

Zia

Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is commonly touted as the best PD ever. I will be honest: the $6K yearly stipend is why I began the journey, but I stuck with it because it legit made me a better teacher. Most say there is a huge ROI. And yes, more marketable. It is the highest certification you can earn. A Ph.D gets me maybe $200 more a year? It's some paltry amount. That tells me how highly valued NBCT is.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Not
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district gave us nothing. It was good PD, but I wouldn't do it again. 6K? Wow!
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-26-2019, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
6K? Wow!
Yup! So..$1900 to certify gets you $30K. Easy decision and I will re-new each time my certification lapses!

I'm sorry your state/district doesn't recognize this accomplishment. It makes me sad.

choppie70

Old 02-27-2019, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We only get about $3K more for having NBPTS here.

Also, because you have to notify of your standing on December 1st, and scores do not get released until after that date, you do not get the extra money for your first year of certification.

I got my cert. when my school way paying for it and offering coaches through a grant.

As far as the process, I did not feel like I gained anything from the process, and feel it is another way for Pearson to give it to teachers. I was even able to go the their national conference in D.C. two years in a row and felt that was not even worth the trip.

I also felt the whole process was a bit hypocritical. They stress immediate and relevant feedback, but you wait months for scores, with little to no feedback.
They also stress using exemplars and show what you expect of students, but their directions are often confusing and redundant with no real examples of what to look for.

I felt if you are a teacher who can toss the BS (bullsh!t) you will be fine and I do not mean any disrespect to teachers who did certify - I am one!, lol.

I should add that I was already well studied on the core props because our evaluation system is based off of them as well and we had done standard "deep dives" ad nauseam.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-27-2019, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Also, because you have to notify of your standing on December 1st, and scores do not get released until after that date, you do not get the extra money for your first year of certification.
This depends on your state/district. I got my stipend--with back pay to July 31--super fast. I certified mid-December and it was on my second January paycheck. That was a monster check!

Quote:
I also felt the whole process was a bit hypocritical. They stress immediate and relevant feedback, but you wait months for scores, with little to no feedback.
There are very valid reasons why it takes this long to get scores. It's hard to wait, I get that, but it is to ensure scores are accurate.

Quote:
They also stress using exemplars and show what you expect of students, but their directions are often confusing and redundant with no real examples of what to look for.
This is a very common refrain and I understand that frustration, too. But the reason they don't provide examples is because they don't want "cookie cutter." There are as many ways to demonstrate accomplished teaching as there are accomplished teachers. This allows each to showcase his/her practice. Personally, I liked the open-ended nature.

I'm sorry you didn't find NBCT fulfilling, choppie, but appreciate you shared your experience. It's a hard decision to make and I think multiple viewpoints help.

Teddi9192

Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Im at a place right now that NB will get me bupkus. A PhD will get me $125 a year. It is great in theory but I won't do that to my family. I would have to work 240 years to even think about breaking even.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-27-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Im at a place right now that NB will get me bupkus. A PhD will get me $125 a year.
Frankly, I wouldn't do either one in that scenario.

LuvsPixieDust

Yes, but
Old 02-27-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It can be very stressful and all consuming. I certified in 2001 when we had to do all the components and take 4 - 90 minute writing tests. My baby daughter took her 1st steps at the same time I was taping up my box to be mailed. (What was I thinking doing this with a baby?!?)

My state pays a $6K supplement for NB certification. I wanted to do it even if there was no compensation, but the money was what really convinced me.

I found the renewal process more enjoyable and rewarding. I could see how much I had grown professionally over the years.

Next year will be my year to re-renew.(3rd portfolio) I am leaning toward not doing it since it will probably be my last year teaching.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
It can be very stressful and all consuming.
I don't think there is any "can be" about it. It just IS time consuming and stressful!

Congrats on being DONE!

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks, Zia!
Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You are correct. It IS time consuming and stressful. I cracked a molar from grinding both times I worked on the portfolio
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

sparteen96

Old 02-27-2019, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes I was in your shoes too......except without a PhD (congratulations on your doctorate degree). My school district did not offer a stipend but a grant offered to pay for anyone willing to go through NB. I did it not for any extra pay but went into it with the idea of bettering my craft as a educator. I looked at it from this perspective: would I want to be under the health care of a doctor who is Board Certified or not? For me because I care for my health I’d seek out a Board Certified physician. As it would be if I had to choose a teacher for my child......if the option is available.

After 3 years of going through the rigorous process of NB, I became board certified and I’m proud to be able to add that certification to my accomplishments as an educator. My disappointment is that to this day I find many people who either aren’t working in the field of education or are and have no idea what NB for teachers is. When I shared the news that I became Board certified to family, friends, and some school officials, their response was, “That’s great! So what is it exactly? Like what do you do now that you have that?” or “National Boards is not seen as highly as compared to a Masters degree in our area.” I awkwardly find myself having to take the time to answer and find examples, such as the perspective I gave in the initial paragraph, in order for people to understand what this certification means and its importance. To be frank, most people will know what the acronym “PhD” means but have no clue what “NBCT” means......unfortunately.

I also feel NB should do a better job with recognizing newly certified educators instead of emailing us a newsletter template for us to use to input our names to help NB “get the word out” on their behalf (free publicity for them). I haven’t genuinely felt recognized for the rigorous process of becoming a Board Certified teacher from National Boards. I would love to see them post our name (other than a directory) on their website temporary in a congratulatory way or have a ceremony from NB for newly NBCT. To me a genuine recognition is lacking on National Board’s end but they encourage newly NBCT to get the word out....... the cause is missing (NB teacher recognition) in order the gain the effect: getting the word out (publicity for National Board). National Boards needs to improve their cause if they want more teachers to get on board and for the general public to understand what it means to be certified.
sparteen96 is offline   Reply With Quote

thewalkingjen

Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Honestly, I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the 12% raise we get in NC. I am actually retaking part of it, which was extra money out of my pocket, but I will make it back once I certify (this year fo sho). It is a lot of work and I will be proud to say that I am a National Board certified teacher, but if there was no incentives, I don't think I would have shelled out of the money. But... since your school is paying, if you feel that you have the time and want to realllllly reflect and plan and think about your teaching, then go for it! I will agree with those above me that said it was the best PD ever. I honestly felt that I KNEW that group of students and how they learned better than any other. My scores that semester justified this as well.
thewalkingjen is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-28-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm in WA, which has one of the highest NBCT bonuses, but there have been other benefits. Certified EMC Literacy 2017

I felt the process was really valuable because it forced me to look closely at all the aspects of my teaching and why I do what I do. I started looking at some things in a different way. I didn't totally change my teaching or do something completely different to fit what the components wanted - I used the real things I actually do every day, and so it helped me refine my teaching.

I was getting ready to renew my teaching license in WA when I earned my certification. The renewal process here is stupid and time consuming - manually entering clock hours earned and jumping through hoops. Obviously that is cheaper and not as time consuming as doing National Boards but it seems like a big waste of time, so now I don't have to do that because my national boards automatically renews my state teaching license.

As one of a couple of NB teachers in my building, I've been able to unofficially mentor, or at least had teachers come to talk to me about, NB's, their submissions, etc. It has been another way to build relationships with some colleagues and have real conversations about teaching, which I think benefits us as teachers and also our students.

In my area, it would make you slightly more marketable if you were applying for jobs.

There are opportunities available if you are interested in being a teacher leader that having your NB certification would qualify you for, or make you more marketable for. My district just nominated me for WA state teacher of the year, and in the application literally one of the first sections is about whether you are national board certified, in which area, etc.

If it were me with no financial gain, I would do it if you are the type of teacher who likes to continue learning and professional development, or if you are interested in leadership roles in the future.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote